Anonymous
Years ago

Revise the State Process?

The U 20 state team is usually selcted and named within 3 weeks but the U 16 and 18's are an arduous 16 to 20 week grind that hasn't realised great results so why not make the selections over a month and run the teams and reserves together for the other four months, so that a sense of team is created?
Alternatively, if form slumps etc are a concern as to why teams are not selected early why not leave the selection trials to much later and reduce the whole processes length by a least half .
Another point is to get a uniform way of cutting kids after the initial cull on the first week-end. Without doubt, it should be done by letter or telephone call and done on a set date across both genders. It's a dog's breakfast at the moment and there should be some dignity attached to cutting kids who have gone through a selection process for 4 or 5 months.

Topic #14177 | Report this topic

been around  
Years ago

it is not a dignity process - your perception is wrong.

right or wrong - they will do it their way and that's the end of it.

it is tough at the top.

Reply #166291 | Report this post

MyViews  
Years ago

Interesting points. Kids develop so rapidly at U16/U18 level. Some of them are just able to adapt rapidly, and improve with, higher level state trainings.

Personally, I and others that have been through the 16-20 week process , to only make a reserve, still appreciated the experience as it prepared us for the process the next year. Over the 16-20 week process we were also able to put pressure on the kids for spots that were still considered a shoe-in and also made great friends for the future in the process. In most cases kids see state involvement as an honour and an opportunity to develop and I think the benefits of a longer process outweigh the negatives. I really cannot see how a longer process would be of severe detriment to results.

Having a uniform approach may not be the way to go either IMO. Every squad has a different makeup. Different age groups, different timing, different kids. I'm not sure if it would be fair on the coaches or kids to say "you WILL cut/be cut on this date and YOU MUST do it in this manner". Speak to the kids and they will all have different preferences on how they wish to be cut.

Personally I earn a substantial income today. Learning how to deal with adversity and, perhaps, leaders not been able to deal with "hiring and firing" in the basketball (and I had coaches that were poor at both) world helps me deal with this in professional life. Considering the pros/cons of the status quo and your ideas, I really can't see how your suggestions would be of benefit.

Reply #166292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys,

I have been in the system in Victoria for the past 5 yrs. I feel that when it comes to preperation for Nationals, the effort to pick the right players who mix well and can play a team game is not as cut and dry as it seems.

We do not always get it right, however we feel that no stone is left unturned, and the preperation is everything. so you do need the time with the squad to make sure the right team is picked.

As far as cutting players, we have always done it face to face with the players and given feedback if they want it. I have also had coaches call on the phone, and also send a letter. Each time, someone will fault it and the delivery of the message even though we prepare the players and parents at various stages of the training sessions. ( Parent feedback session)

Unfortunatley, we can only take 10 players and coaches are different and know what they want and what type of player they want to coach.

I personally know 5 kids who gave up basketball to play footy in the hope of being drafted, 2 kids got drafted and the rest are left with no feedback on why they didn't get picked up. They found out via the TV ( Darft Day and Rookie Draft ) and they are shattered.

How do we compare in what we do?

Like one of the earlier posts, it is tough at the top as the bick stops with the coach and I do not know of a coach who wants to dissapoint players, but they all know going in to training, that there can only be 10 players picked.

Reply #166309 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

good post vic

it is about clear understanding from the word go.

100 into 10 doesnt go 1 happy for every 9 unhappys.

accept the cut and listen to what the coaches / selectors say.

i know plenty that had knock backs - turned it around and did what they were told and made it.

if the people entering clearly understand from the word go they are more than likely to be cut than make it - a clear understanding is set.

Reply #166312 | Report this post

avid listener  
Years ago

first move is a promotion / relegation system and get the right kids playing against each other.

Reply #166345 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754