RMM
Years ago

Sixers v Kings 12 Jan 08

Another chance to prove we are worthy of finals.
Another chance for the sixers to beat the best.
Another chance for Julius to show what he has got!
Another chance for the Sixers to rise up the Ladder.
Another chance for the Sixers to reinforce their home court dominance earlier in the decade.
Another chance for Goorijian to sit down for 5 minutes during a game.
Another chance for Dench to prove his MVP Value :D

How many chances are we going to get? TONIGHT could be the chance we take and run with. Find out tonight!

Tip off at 8:00 pm at the Dome!!!

Topic #14179 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Hahaha Dench. I love that useless guy at times. Suppose he can be an all star at times tho. why so unconsistent.

Reply #166296 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

He's inconsistent because Phil doesn't know how to utilise him properly ... and he's afraid of the ABC logos ...

Reply #166306 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sixers by 8 points
Crowd of 4832

Reply #166331 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sixers by 6
crowd 5136

Reply #166341 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Exciting game. Crowd to break 5000.

The winner will be Basketball........

Reply #166342 | Report this post

Giraffe  
Years ago

Another chance for Phil to prove he can't coach.

Reply #166348 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I have two spare tickets. Anyone interested?

Reply #166351 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Sixers by 4
Crowd of 4950

Reply #166356 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

If worst comes to worst....

could this be the very last Smyth V Goorjian? :O

Reply #166360 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

6:27

J.Hodge 4 points 3 rebounds 2 assists

started well.

Reply #166361 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

12-5 foul count 35-35 Ballinger 14, Sydney 2 techs

Reply #166362 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

up 10 at half. lookin gd

Reply #166363 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

69-55. WOW.

Reply #166364 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ill have em sturty....pay back in a ouple of week up here?

Bring TR Im keen on a new Jaeger Bomb record!

Reply #166365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Late in the thrid - Hodge has 18 points, 7 rebs and 6 assists. Nice going - where are the knockers now ??

Reply #166366 | Report this post

dougys69  
Years ago

back to nine points. stars of the game sat on the bench. what th f@#k. pHIL SMYTH IS USELESS

Reply #166367 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

i HATE nbl .com grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply #166368 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

woohooo..if the nbl is right..

Reply #166369 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

WE WINNNNNNNNNNNNN :)

Reply #166370 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

say it again dougys69...?

Reply #166371 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Tell me..is NBL.com....out for everyone..pr is it jjust me???

Reply #166372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a "waiting for www.nbl.com.au" hanging on the bottom of my screen - get a real website NBL !!

Reply #166373 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Really? Details anyone?

Reply #166374 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

ill say it. PHILL DID A AWESOME JOB TONITE happy :).

Reply #166375 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

5787 was the crowd

Reply #166376 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

well did we bloody win or not????

Reply #166377 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

won by 18

Reply #166378 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

PTS RBS AST FOUL
52 J.Hodge 26 11 8 3

very solid.

Reply #166380 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

sorry won by 22

Reply #166381 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

115 - 93

Davidson 31
Balls 35
Hodge 26/11/8!!!

Wortho 27

Reply #166382 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

That said, Hodge did have 7TO's while Balls had none.

Reply #166383 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

That was the sickest game I've been to in ages. Conjured up memories of the Powerhouse of old. Hodge is just what the team needs, provided he doesn't try and shoot from anywhere outside the key. :) Balls and Davidson were awesome. I hope BJ Carter feels good - be basically started the rot by ruffling up Davidson's hair after drawing a fould.

Maher's latest injury could be a pretty big downer though.

Reply #166385 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Maher isnt injured they said while interveiwing davidson on the radio. Just precaution maher will be fine for wednesday apparently. So all good news tehre

Reply #166386 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wow that was an amazing game I have not cheered that loud or enjoyed my self at a game like that for about 3 or 4 years! It was a brilliant job by the umpires to not allow Sydney to get away with there normal holding and hacking fouls. Sorry but a foul is a foul no matter who is the coach of the team.

The Sixers came out with intensity, energy and motivation. It reminded me of the old days where we would come out with lots of energy and play with pride and spirit infront of our home crowd. The game was pretty even and then I think it all changed when the "No Class" Carter decided to rub Davidson's hair after Davidson committed a foul. The crowd was enraged after that which spurred on the Sixers. Its better to leave a sleeping lion alone and good to see Davidson had the last laugh with 30(?) points.

While it seems Hodge had alot of turn overs he played a huge difference in the team and provided alot of drives and 3 or 4 baseline dunks which will make teams take notice. I think he is a perfect fit and reminds me alot of Darnell Mee. He has the ability to bring the ball up also taking alot of pressure of Maher and NG. I am still baffled that it took Smyth 16(?) games to replace Chappell. Even that Chappell is a nice guy its a business and you make business decisions not based on whether how nice someone is! The team is alot more motivated now and playing with alot of spirit and passion. If we dont have the talent to beat teams it doesn't matter if we play as a team and give 100% like we did tonight! A brilliant win guys and wasn't it great giving it to Goorgian!

The only bad news is Maher didnt play the whole second half :(

Reply #166388 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I hate to say it, but I don't think Brett is offering that much any more and its not the end of the world if he is out for the season..

Reply #166389 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not going anywhere near Sturty and Jaegar... I was too sick the last time it happened.

Reply #166390 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

This is my spin on it.

As soon as I posted the thing about the extra tickets I got dragged off to Dinner at Hawkers Corner so I didn't get any replies. Two tickets went to waste....

Shit game. Good win by the Sixers. Refereeing was well below average but we are not here to knock the referees. Sixers played better than the Kings. Although late in the fourth I thought Smyth had made a little wager on the Kings.......

Ballinger was strong all night and consistant. While he was on the court they had options. Without him they were stuck.

Davidson again was good with some very tough play. I thought he was a bit of a sook with the Carter incident. Saying that after the incident Carter didn't score again.

Hodge looked alright. OK, so the bench players for the U/16 Western Magic can shoot better. (LOL, settle Spadge.......) But he is Mr. Excitement out there. He will put bums on seats.

Looked like Brett got injured again. I don't know the full story. It might have just a precautionary thing. Went off just before half time.

Bring on an injured Perth on Wednesday. We might see some interesting results.....

Reply #166391 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The Sixers dancers really had some balls......

Reply #166392 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I haven't seen Hodge yet (waiting for the Gong game) but what are people feelings about keeping him on for next season.

Is he a kid with keeping or just someone to see out the season???

Reply #166393 | Report this post

I think we may have seen Brett Mahers last game tonight in the Sixers blue, this injury could spell the end.
Hemmerlings reaction after the game was interesting, shaking phils hand straight away. it was said that Hemmerling was heard to tell Smyth in the players race that he doesnt have to worry about next year!
one win doesnt excuse the years of running the program into the ground!

Reply #166394 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Sturty6ers, what the hell are you talking about? if they were "stuck" without Ballinger, how did they maintain a lead? bloody Adelaide people, even with the best win in the past 2 years and change you still complain. The only real player who didn't fire up was Dench, and even then he wasn't terrible.

STFU and enjoy the first time Adelaide has beaten a title bloody contender this season.

Reply #166395 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

oh shit no...... please don't say Mal said that...

Reply #166396 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

James W, UR A LOAD OF SHIT. lol

Reply #166397 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kad that is a stupid comment saying Maher isnt offering that much anymore! I guess 17ppg, 4 Rebounds and 4 assist with only 1 turn over per game isn't offering much anymore? Ridiculous comment!

Sturty6ers, how can you say that was a shit game when everyone at the game was up cheering lots of times and thoroughly enjoyed the game!?

I don't think the reffing was any worse then any other games it just looked worse because the usual no calls Sydney gets got called. Obviously there was a few fouls that shouldnt have been called for both teams but that is just normal.

Also how is Davidson a sook for that incident? After he was fired up after getting called for a foul and then getting his head rubbed in an unsportsmanly manner I think anyone would be mad about that. Why is that acceptable and why should he have put up with that? I think that should have been a tech foul for inciting a player. However Syndey got called for an unsportsman like foul on Victor once which didn't seem to be one so it looked like it evened out.

Reply #166398 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Kudos to Skip for killer 'Oldie Tracks' during the warm ups.....

Reply #166399 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Kobe-for-MVP ...

you support people actually complaining about the best win in 2 and a bit years? bah...I bet you're a closeted Sydney supporter....come to think of it, I did hear a few "we love you Brian" shouts during the game...

Reply #166401 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

any one up for a spot of fishing.... sturty you interested

Reply #166402 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

That was without a doubt the best game Ive seen this year. Sturty I dont know what constitutes a good game for you. Was it too noisy with all the cheering, did all the excitement get in the way of a 'quiet night at the Dome', did the 6ers annoying habit of scoring consistently bother you, I'm trying to see your side, honestly.
Great job 36ers, nice introduction to your fans Julius and Ballinger . . . . WOW. On a side note I suggest we all chip in for a thankyou basket for Carter for getting Brad all angry, cheers kid.

Reply #166403 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

TR - On tonights performance I'd be happy to see him in sixers colours for a while. Even off the court he seems like a really nice guy. Was happy to stand around posing for photos with kids and was very chatty with the fans afterwards.
2 assists off a Triple Double aint a bad way to introduce yourself to the home crowd either.

Sturty6ers - Cheers, I do try! :-)

Reply #166404 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

kad - no idea mate - guess you haven't seen the incredible shots that Maher consistently hits under the toughest pressure and created by himself. The post with his season stats says it all. We were lucky tonight in the 2nd half not to notice him missing as Davo hit everything - did you see Ng!?!?! Hel the ball for 10 seconds everytime because he couldn't drive or make decisions and would just give the ball to Hodge or Davo with 5 secs left on the clock so they could bail out his butt! No idea...

Sturty6ers - clearly the best game of the season and you have to whinge about it. Biggest and loudest crowds, refs finally calling all the crap that Sydneyy do and get away with every game and 4 sixers plaed stepped up big to take them down once the playing field was levelled somewhat. Gee you are a tough man to please - you must be one of those glass half empty guys - pity your wife if you've got one! ;P

Reply #166406 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Forgot to say also that Davidson was not a sook - he just fired up and was letting baby B gay Carter that you don't patronise someone with a head rub when you're the toughest and hardest working guard in the league. Different story if you are mates or used to play together but it was how it was done which was stupid. Davo had the last laugh and he ain't a sook from what I've seen so far this season...

Reply #166408 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

I would definately look to sign Hodge up for next season, he really delivers a whoel package to the team - score (mostly off strong hard drives),steals, assists, rebounds, and he brings a lot of energy on and off the court. His one on one moves on the baseline where he took it to the hoop twice i think were excellent.

And although he does turn the ball over, at least it isnt from negative play such as a soft pass etc. His turnovers tend to come from himself trying to create and keep putting the pressure on the opposition defences which i dont actually mind.

CARN U SIXERS!!!!!!!

Reply #166409 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Sweet to hear that Maher isn't injured, Kobe-for-MVP. In that case, it was pretty much a flawless evening then! Hopefully they can come out without too much of a hangover against the Wildcats and keep the momentum going.

Reply #166412 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

TR - Im in - as long as Sturty brings the bait :)

Maybe we ca discuss the merits of one D Joyce while reeling em in :)

Reply #166413 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

First Sixers game I've seen in a few years tonight, I can't see what all the complaining's been about these last few years, I thought they were pretty good!

All jokes aside that was an absolutely cracking night's entertainment, a bit of argie bargie early on to get the crowd fired up, the classic David v Goliath story underpinning the whole event, and the introduction of an exciting new import. After the niggles early on I became really emotionally involved and was getting fired up for every basket and every stop, solid lead at the half but still plenty of ball left in the game, plenty of time for Kings to mount a comeback, but no, not in our house.

I was getting so fired up all I wanted to do was run up to the Kings bench and shout "Get the f*** out of our house", fortunately for all involved I was sitting in the cheap seats and didn't get this opportunity.

Loved watching Hodge play, he's certainly an interesting one, looks pretty fragile (has 4 arms and no legs), doesn't take care of the ball real well, seems pretty loose on D and doesn't shoot well, but his positives are fantastic, genuine slasher, can get to the hoop, drive and dish, some nice dunks for kids, some great loose ball rebounds, but most of all I loved his attitude, was getting the crowd involved, clearly loved being out there, gave the team a sense of confidence that was presumably lacking before his arrival.

This is one of the worst posts I've written, all very incongruous, but I'm still too pumped! I'll leave it by putting into perpective what we just did. We comprehensively demolished a team with an 18-2 record, a team who earlier in the season defeated a Euroleague team and drew with the Chines national team in an international tournament, a team on a 7 (?) game winning streak. Surely this is turning point for the season. Surely.

Reply #166414 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

One thing about Hodge (I loved him, not bagging the guy), are there potential (long-term) injury concerns? He seemed a little awkward running the fast breaks, like he didn't make up any ground trying to catch people from behind, plus he had a big brace/bandage on his knee.

Reply #166415 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

But the encouraging thing was that we played a great second half without Maher, in case he is out for a while again.
Did anyone see Michael Zorich playing in the warm up game? That guy is all class and I would love to see him playing for us in the not too distant future.
What a great player that Adam Ballinger is, he has been sensational this year. And Davidson has been such a boost to us, not afraid of anyone and personally I like the idea of him stirring up oppostion players, it hasn't happened much with Adelaide previously. It sure helps too when he can back up his mouth with his play.
Only real disappointment tonight was Copeland, he had an absolute Barry Crocker.
Darren Ng did some inspirational things also and can be proud of his contribution.
Whilst Hodge had some terrible turnovers, I think he more than made up for those with his scoring, his speed and the excitemnt he brought to the Dome tonight.
This was the best I have felt after a game for a long time.

Reply #166417 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

sturty has dropped enough bait tonight..

Reply #166418 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Well Ben i guess you can say there are potential injury concerns for every single player who steps on the court. And that brace was on his knee beacuse he did receive a knock to the knee i believe during last weeks game against Perth which he ran out.

He certainly wasnt hounded by any injury tonight however displaying his all round game - 24 pts, 11 rebounds, 8 assists, and some turnovers to add a bit of spice.

Reply #166419 | Report this post

Squid fully agree.
Zorich should be in the NBL!
Watching the back court for North this year should be a treat with Zorich and Burdon.

Reply #166421 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Wouldn't it been really good too had we been able to identify all the lads playing in the curtain raiser tonight. At least the names up on the scoreboard would have been something. It would not have taken much effort I would think.

Reply #166424 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Haha, could to see peopple recognise Zorich' talents as well. Me and my dad also agreed he should be playing for the sixers or another NBL team. And that was 2 years ago. He impresses me everytime i see him play and today's pre-game was no exception.

Reply #166425 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Was good to see Luke Schencsher in the crowd tonight too. Hopefully wont be too long before we see him out on court too :-)

Reply #166426 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

James W u think im a sydney supporter. what a joke. SYDNEY GOT OWNED!

Reply #166427 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I think what fired up Davidson the most about that Carter incident was that Carter ran into him, flopped, and Davidson got called for the foul.

Reply #166429 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Pregame match was very good, the U/20's put up a good showing and there was some promising skills on display. I pretty much expected it would be the highlight of my night.

But NAH, that Sixers game was the best I have seen in years. Intense, controversial, heated game, with plenty on display. And to thoroughly control the game against the undisputed top side in the league and beat them at their own game.

Sixers got in the heads of the Kings and they looked totally thrown. This was Smyth v Goorj old school style, and I loved every moment of it.

Hodge is just the spark that the Sixers need. I love how he wanted the ball, wanted to control the action when the Sixers started getting rattled. He steadied the ship and made the big plays. It is also amazing when you have a genuine slasher, how the gaps start opening up for the shooters. That is what the Sixers have been missing.

And defence, where did the Sixers find that? I must say, the improvements in the Sixers defensive game over the season is astonishing. Hard not to really, when they weren't playing any at all at the start of the season.

I hope Maher is ok and can get back into this team, because then we can hope to make some noise yet this season.

Reply #166433 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

really enjoyed the game, it had everything. Great with all the riff raff that went on plus great performances from ballinger and davidson as well as a great home debut for hodge. You can see that he will be inconsistent as he really only has the drive and if its not going or getting him to the stripe he has no jumper to fall back on. The best thing about him thought was that he finally brought a character back to the dome, he worked the crowd showed emotion and did not take a backwards step and the crowd fed off that. Just hope that some of the school holidays and casual fans will comeback after seeing what a good atmosphere you can get.

Only downer is brett, i don't really by it that nothing is wrong. We started to slit and if he was fine i'm sure he would have been out there to provide a stable rudder if nothing else. GG hopefully more to come.

Reply #166434 | Report this post

Years ago

tonight was the best atmosphere ive experienced since the prime farley days. hodge is a great GREAT pickup...his energy is amazing, his gusto and flair..got the crowd involved, teammates involved...and the best thing about his game...he took 1...yes..ONE midrange jumpshot...no 3's...got to the rim easy with some sick ball skills...huuuuuuge dunks...lets hope he can stay with the sixers...fingers crossed for his failure in the NBA's offseason...

Reply #166437 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

dougys69, stars of the game sometimes have to sit on the bench because they get tired. Is it that difficult to understand, or do you think this is a legitimate opportunity to have another dig at Smyth?

Reply #166438 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Poor effort at nbl.com.au...

http://nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=matchreportdisplay&id=73845

My point with Brett was that the sixers dont rely on him as much as they used to. Of course I'd prefer to have him fit, but lets face it, he is quite injury prone these days.

Reply #166439 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I know what I'll post has been said, but what a game! I got there a bit late and what a shock I recieved when I entered the doors. That crowd would have to the best we've had in quite some time. Loved Davo vs BJ Carter, what a tool he is. Loved even more when the ref wanted to talk to both of them at the end of 1st (or maybe it was a T/O?) and Davo just walked off. He probably just didn't hear the ref, but I'd like to think he just didn't give a damn!

You just knew that after the way Sydney were playing early on (like thugs), the crowd would get involved and more importantly wake the team up. Well done in particular to BJ for that....

I can understand what Sturty was saying, it was scrappy, turnover prone game for the most part and there were a lot of frustrating things happeneing out there. Luckily, things picked up after the slow start and it definitely was an enjoyable game for the last quarter and a half.

Ballinger was brilliant tonight (is he ever not?), Davidson of course was just on fire and Hodge played well. I think he's exactly what this team needs, a bit of flair and someone who can make things happen. I know he had a few turnovers and at times forced it a bit too much, but I could not care less as he has the ability to break guys down off the dribble and either finish or dish it out after the D collapses. A few turnovers came from that sort of thing, but again, I'll forgive him. All in all, he gives us an extra scoring option and someone who the D can't relax on when he has the ball. I also enjoyed his couple of put-backs and his slam at the end of the game, should bring the fans in.

Our D was OK, we gave up too many wide open shots (how many 3's did Wortho get?!), but you can't complain that much about our D when we were lighting up the supposed best defensive team in the league at the other end.

And thank god that Sydney were called for fouls purely on what was happening, and not who was doing it.

Just a couple of side notes, was there with a mate who has seen a total of two games in the past 3 years (both this season) and can safely he really enjoyed himself, hopefully he and everyone who showed up tonight will come back again.

That bloody Sprint song got a bit tedious by the end of the night, but I guess the more sponsors the better.

And just to end it on a high note, it was nice to hear that after my 50 year-old mother was hit with a can and told the thrower to look out and be careful, she was given the finger and a mouth-full. Good times, good times....

Reply #166442 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Just curious. When was the last time the sixers only had 6 guys score points in a game? and only 5 scorers in the second half ?!

Love Mottram's grit - was giving them absolute hell at both ends - random hits, bumps, grabs, throws ..

and coop's block late in the game ..

best game I've seen in a long time.

SO - what would our record be if we'd pull the plug on Chappell at the same time as everyone else starting dumping dud imports ? (not saying Mike's a dud - he was great, but obviously never got over the back injury, and was never the right fit).

and phil's subs still concern me a little - when darren comes on and throws three turnovers in about 6 possessions, and the OTHER guard gets subbed ?!
and removing all of our scorers for the last minute on the second quarter ?!

meh, a wins a win ...

Reply #166443 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

On a different note, didn't Motteram's mask look like the latest fashion from some of the most exclusive fashion houses in Paris? I was very surprised at how inconspicuous it was although the clear plastic on the face must have made him quite sweaty. I had almost expected to see the Phantom of the Opera.

Reply #166445 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Mottram's been seen eating liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti lately...

Reply #166449 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

That was a AWESOME game, best game ive seen the 36ers play in years!
I think Hodge has made a huge difference, i like the fact he aint a shooter and brings pretty much everything else to the team, also able to help Davidson run the point and saves Darren Ng having to do it too much and when the guards tried to get physical with Davidson or Ng, Hodge just bought it up no probs being bigger means they couldnt abuse him physically, i loved his ability to drive to the paint also, i think the fact he doesnt have a great jump shot (dont really remember him taking more than 1 0r 2) and doesnt even attempt it most of the time makes him a great fit for us!
Brad Davidson, Darren Ng AWESOME games,best ive seen those 2 play, Ng owned the 3rd quater!
Ballinger was AWESOME and unstopable as usual!
I know its one game but i say sign Hodge, Ballinger, Ng, Davidson for the next 2 years and build on them with Maher and possibly a Mottram and/or Cooper and keep trying to lure Schensher and/or Newley back.
Would a win like that save Smyth??? like if they keep that up and sneak in the 8??

Reply #166453 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I would like to see Mottram in a Hannibal Lectur mask. That certainly would be intimidating......

TR/Statman: Fishing? My rod is in the cupboard covered in cobwebs.

Reply #166454 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Last night was our best home performance in 2-3 years. Sydney was a bit flat, possibly because their usual rough tactics were somewhat nullified by the officiating. Adelaide was simply magnificent.

Ballinger was once again in the zone. I can't help but wonder if our record was better there would be greater support for him as league MVP. Davidson was the terrier, and 31 points must be close to a career high for him. I didn't see all of the incident with Carter, but I'd bet that Davidson started it one way or another, and it worked. Carter was 0-6. Last time here he was 5-6. Julius Hodge gave everything that has been missing: dribble penetration, active rebounding, hands in the passing lane. He was superb. He had some turnovers, but I'll forgive that on a 24/10/8 night. Good to see an import that can manage to lift himself off the ground for some emphatic, crowd-pleasing dunks. Cavolo, you are wrong about Ng, his game was great. Did you not see his steal off the inbounds then flying offensive rebound to start the second half? That was pure inspiration. He filled in for Maher with great aplomb. Cooper was incredibly effective despite not taking a shot. Mottram got a couple of really contested rebounds. Copeland had a forgettable night, and Dench never seems to find his road form here.

On Smyth, I though he got pretty much everything right, except for a brief period in the fourth where he had both Ballinger and Davidson off at the same time. Forget falling on his sword, at that moment I was ready to drive one into him. I don't like the sound of the Hemmerling-halway conversation, but if Smyth can get us into the playoffs with the remaining schedule AND get us a couple of rounds into it, then I will gladly reconsider.

For anyone who was still supporting Mike Chappell after game 3 of this season, how Goddam stupid do you feel now? Last night's crowd was about 1200-1500 up on the season average, which should pretty much cover the buyout to Chappell. We do have a roster that can cause some damage to the league's elite, and if we miss the playoffs then it will come down to the criminal procrastination on terminating Chappell. The rat-pace way our organisation operates was visibly demonstrated last night, as apparently two weeks isn't enough time for someone to print "Hodge" on the back of Julius' jersey.

On the Kings, Jason Smith is very close to the biggest wanker in the league, who acts like a jerk-off every time he comes here, and rarely performs to his abilities. Saville was a non-factor due to the early foul trouble caused by his own stupidity. Kendall was truely hopeless. I was worried that Worthington (who just kills us every time) was single-handedly going to shoot them back into the game. Tovey was impressive (I wouldn't mind him as our backup three man), and Victor was pretty solid. Crosswhite disappeared after a prominant start.

Great crowd, great game, great result.

Reply #166455 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great crowd (biggest of the year?) and what a game for them all to see.

Ballinger - as I said in another thread, sign him up long term ASAP. Everyone's already said the rest.

Davidson - very useful threes and then bailing the team out a few times with the shot clock running down.

Hodge - I suspected he'd have his way drawing fouls on Kings and the like and he did even more than that. Definitely makes good on doing one thing well. Shame he doesn't have the outside shot and isn't more reliable from the stripe, but if he can repeat those numbers, it's hard to care. He's quite reckless and could reel in those turnovers if he didn't overdribble, but really gets involved, is there to have fun and win and the crowd definitely appreciated it. His final dunk was great. I won't yet join the "sign him for next season" call, but he definitely showed the difference that an import change can make.

Maher - came out in thongs after half-time and I thought uh-oh. But he hadn't had a great first half and I thought, for the first time all season, in those opening quarters, that he was looking tired.

As has been said, new import, no Fox game and Saturday night against a quality opponent - no surprise to see a big crowd.

On Friday (I think it was), Hemmerling apparently met with the core three (Maher, Davidson, Ballinger). My first thought was that it was regarding the direction and coach for next year. It could well be that a decision came out of that. That's just my guess though.

As for the game, I reckon that after the first half, the Kings just didn't want the win enough, whereas Adelaide desperately needed it. Just got the impression that they had given up a little and rested a couple of the veterans. Can't take anything away from Adelaide though - they set it up early and then didn't slow down after that.

If they repeat that effort against Perth, someone's going to get beaten out of the eight...

Reply #166472 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This is a good time to put everything of the past behind you and make last night's game the start of the season ahead. The 36ers last night played a championship winning game against the league leaders. If last night's passion continues, they'll have the championship that people are obviously too afraid to dream of or talk about. If they repeat last night's performance throughout the remainder of this season, then why dream only of making the top 8? This is all that is being talked about at the moment. For last night only, the 36ers were much more than just top 8 team.

Reply #166571 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Damm straight EC! I'm with you on what you said. I am daring to dream at this moment in time. I just cannot wait to watch Wednesday nights game on fox, :( im so pissed off that ill be in Sydney with my family for a holiday but at least the hotel rooms have foxtel lol.
However we are thinking of goin to the Wolongong game on the Friday so it's all exciting times.

Will the sixers make one of their famous runs into the playoffs? Exiciting times ahead folks!

Reply #166594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754