Nick
Years ago

Newley's Progress in Greece

I was just reading an article on nbl.com.au about how Aussies are performing overseas and I was just wondering what other people opinions on Newley's progress so far. I was surprised to see that he is only averaging 9.9 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. The scores do tend to be lower in European games due to 8 minutes less game time and the bogged down half-court style of play. I understand numbers aren't everything and I haven't actually seen him play in the Greek League but do you think he is doing enough to impress the Rockets and other NBA clubs? Has he already been guarnteed a spot on the Rockets Summer League team for next season? Thoughts?

Topic #14181 | Report this topic

DDFan  
Years ago

How many minutes per game is he getting for those numbers?
Without knowing any details, he may be suffering from the "New Guy Syndrome", whereby he breaks a scoring record early in the season, then has to wear a lot of defensive attention from then on.
I don't follow the NBA, but I'd hazard a guess that they'd be interested in seeing how he handles the pressure. If he kept in the fight, they'd have to respect that. If he dropped his head, he'd be out.
Either way, there wouldn't be any guarantee that he'd get a spot, in that there's a world of difference between respect, & an inked in contract.
Interesting times.

Reply #166319 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Team stats at : http://www.galanissportsdata.com/basketball/mena1/season2007_08/a1teamrs.asp?t=04

Newls is the leading scorer (149 in 11 games is more than 9.9ppg, according to my maths ... ), and second in minutes (by less than a minute TOTAL across 11games) and top three in pretty much every other category ...

and DD, there's a lot of difference between summer league and the NBA regular season ... fair chance the Rockets would want to see as much of Newls as possible to see how he's progressing, so if they're able to see put him on the SL team, the probably would.

Reply #166322 | Report this post

DDcluelessfan  
Years ago

Look I am a really big Idiot. I like to post even when I have no idea what I am talking about. So I say Newley is not playing well because of "Greek Food Syndrome". That is when a player plays in Greece and does not like greek food. Quite common. Not quite as common as "New Guy Syndrome" as DDfan described but as good an explanation. I myself thought "New Guy Syndrome" had something to do with a person who is new to HOOPSA that posts too much. Guess I was wrong.
Interesting times.

Reply #166621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754