Soulman
Years ago

Post Game; Sixers vs Kings

What a great game, The Sixers still keep there final eight dream alive. Good all round balance with Hodge making a spectacular debut in front of his home crowd but take nothing away from "Ballsey" Adam Ballinger who seems to score but yet go un-noticed on his way to a game high points tally. Your post?

Topic #14186 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Balls was HUGE tonight, as were Davidson and Hodge. Wonder how Hodge will go once the league learns he always goes left and is susceptible to the block from behind on his drives to the hole. I don't care, that baseline shake and bake dunk tonight was something special, very keen to see the replays.

Reply #166422 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Brilliant game, It had a bit of everything, This game brought back memories of our 'hey day' where we would come out and play this type of high intensity basketball for most games of the season. I wasnt to sure about Hodge after his first 2 games however after seeing him tonight going up against the best team in the league, i was won over by his overall play.

Balinger is a legend and should be signed up as soon as possible for next season and beyond. Definately a player we can build this team around.

Reply #166423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game, had everything and was just so enjoyable from the get go. Balls is just unstoppable and I think he is probably the best offensive player in this league at the moment. Davidson was incredible, he took the whole kings back-court to school almost singlehandedly and Hodge was very close to a triple double.

Big props to skip also for Bringing back the "Moscow! Moscow!" song. Hopefully more of that to come in the next few home games.

Reply #166446 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

That previous post was me btw

Reply #166447 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Best home game all year by far, the atmosphere was awesome and it was fantastic to see that a$$hole Hinder get dunked on by Hodge a few times. The Kings would have to be the most dirty and undiscipline mungrels the NBL has seen for years and we were the first team this year to really take it to them.

Anyone hear the news on Maher? he had ice packs on both calves/ankles after half time. Davidson and Hodge picked up the slack tonight but were going to need Mahersy with the run we got these next few weeks.

Go the 6ers.

Reply #166448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks took something out of Sydney on Wed night.
I bet Syd loose 2 more.
Adelaide into the 8 in 3 rounds time, Blaze fall from the fire to cinders.

Reply #166452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The result will give the team a lot more self belief for the Perth game on Wednesday. Win that and things are on track.

Hodge is a bit reckless, but with numbers and results like that, who cares! Great home debut.

This may get shot down, but oh well - really shows how things could've been much earlier in the season if the club made a quicker call on Chappell.

Adelaide need to lock up Ballinger ASAP because he is quite simply a machine. He was hitting at a great clip despite taking tough shots all night.

Actually, my suggested roadmap from here is:

Franklin/Davidson
Maher/Burdon
Holmes/25-30 MPG SF
Ballinger/Dodman
Mottram/Cooper

Then, bring in an import C (points permitting - doubt they could fit him in unless the bench SF was 4-5 points) when Ballinger naturalises and play Coops as back-up PF and Dodman out to 11th man.

Reply #166461 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Tough schedule ahead since playing 1st (Kings), we now play Wildcats, Hawks, Tigers, Bullets (twice), Taipans (twice) and Blaze

I imagine that we need to beat the Cats, Hawks, revenge at the Tigers and Blaze and pickup atleast 1 of Bullets or Tapans.

So we play 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th aswell as 11th and 13th.

Also, a note for Isaac- Fox game is against the Wildcats not Bullets

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/36ers/schedule-results/schedule/

Reply #166465 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Isaac, agreed, as I posted in the game thread. We are 4-2 since he was cut.

I notice you don't have Sutton in that team above. Personally, I'd start planning to bring Maher off the bench now.

That second small forward could be Zorich.

Reply #166470 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The whisper I heard last night was that Ballinger should be naturalised by the start of next season. The sixers need to do everything they can to ensure he is with us next season.

Reply #166471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mutley, can't see Zorich as a SF.

If the Hawks go under or even if they don't, Adelaide should go for Kavossy if they can. Put a warrior like that on court with Davidson and Ballinger and they'd be a very tough foundation. Kavossy, Davidson and Maher can all play point as well as score. All are decent rebounders for their size.

Get Holmes back home on the back of discontent at the Dragons and then you have two very tough rebounders in him and Ballinger. When Ballinger hits the bench, Holmes can play PF.

If you're shifting Davidson or Maher to the bench, then I don't know that you need Sutton. I'd be more inclined to see if Ng will stay or give Burdon that opportunity.

Keep Mottram and Coops until Ballinger naturalises.

Then that leaves the bench SF spot. If the league cuts teams, there may be reasonable SFs that would take 30 MPG off the bench. My first thought was Tovey from the Kings (already coming off the bench) - rules for the points cap change next year and some teams won't be able to retain all players I think - but if the Pigs go under, Rush might consider it in a consolidated league?

That team could score, defend and rebound. It'd have reasonable chemistry in not changing too much from this season.

Reply #166473 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Liam Rush would be great. If the Gong go under then Tragardh would be a decent pickup too. Williamson from Brisbane might also fit alright here, ditto Tommy Greer.

It would be great to see Ng stay.

Reply #166476 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Didn't Ng say in an interview in the 07/08 club magazine that this would be his last season because he could not continue to put off the practical component of his medical studies, which would prevent him from playing in the NBL next season?

Reply #166494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats a tiny and very old backcourt Isaac, and personally something just seems wrong with that team.

Reply #166502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any hints as to what that something might be?

Also, is that backcourt any smaller than what we have now with Sutton and Ng backing up Davidson and Maher?

Reply #166504 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I like your thoughts and team Isaac .

The guards altough quite small are all fiercely competitive and rebound well .

I like Tovey's game and he would add a little energy on the wing .

Could really see this outfit being able to play the sixers style of basketball that everyone would enjoy watching . Lots of penetration and kick , motion and movement ,

That squad would also be ultra competitive and have a good record at the time Ballinger naturalises .
We should then be in a position to add appropriate player to tip us in to championship contention .

Reply #166509 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those were my thoughts. Last night, yet again, we saw the mileage you can get out of fierce competitors like Davidson and Ballinger. Imagine adding a warrior like Kavossy into that mix?

I bet height was one thing Heal fancied when he picked Groves over Franklin, and that didn't really work out too well.

Tragardh would be worth trying for, but you'd probably be doing so at the expense of either Mottram or Cooper.

Reply #166513 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems like Ballinger, Davidson and Maher to play here next year and Smyth to coach , doesn't it.

Reply #166515 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Anyone know anything about last night being Bonzie's last game? He made a brief mention of it, but that was it. Does anyone know why he's leaving the 36ers?

Reply #166516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kev, it was Rachel's last game that Bonz announced.

Reply #166519 | Report this post

Giraffe  
Years ago

Ballanger for Premier !!
36ers should be doing all they can to lock him in for the next 200 years. As already stated by others he's an absolute machine, and I reckon he could easily be our next Mark Davis or Brett Maher... and he's actully a pretty nice guy too, definately someone you want to build your club around.

Reply #166526 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Bonz made a comment about it being his last game because he messed up the introductions.
He introduced the kings team to the court before the Sixers Dancers had done their pre-game performance, then went on to make a comment about having to long of a break and that mistake could cost him his job....

Thought it was pretty funny myself...

Reply #166529 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

If Smyth isn't coach, wave goodbye to Ballinger at least.

Reply #166533 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

How about we grab a whole bunch of under-rated players like Hoare and Crawford? We could have a team like:

Franklin 9 or 10/Davidson 8 or 9
Maher 5/Ng 5?
Holmes 8?/Crawford 7 or 8
Ballinger 10/Hoare 7-9
Big Import 10/Mottram6 or 7

I doubt that team would be able to fit under the points cap, but provided maher is only worth a 5 (?) and mottram would be a fairly low rank (6 or 7?) because he doesnt necessarily score but he hustles and defends well we might just fit in. Ballinger will be an aussie next season right? If we cant grab any of hoare, PC or Holmes then we could just slide in Michael Zorich or another academy player into the lineup. I also would like to see us grab Tovey but I doubt he would leave Goorjian as that was the reason why he went to sydney anyway. If we can't grab Franklin, then I would be happy if we grabbed a high flying player like Jared Newson or kept Julius Hodge as we definetely need a player who gets the home crowd into the game...

Now for the game, It was a stunning effort by the sixers, BALLINGER IS ALL CLASS. I think he is the most underrated import in the league. By average scores for dream team, he is 3rd, only behind the 2 MVP candidates Anstey and Ebi ere so ballinger is definetely right up there in MVP voting.
The 36ers really made a good choice by signing an import who really gets the crowd ino the game. He reminds me a lot like Farley, but hodge doesnt look like the guy who gets angry n pissed off when he is doing bad or the team loses. Hodge actually plays a lot like Rashad tucker, just without the ego, fouls and bad attitude. It would be great to see 2 imports like him and Newson as crowd favorites along with other great players like Davidson, Mottram, Ballinger, Maher and Holmes.

HINDER IS AN EFFING KNOB!! how long did it take him to realise he was fouled out?? Geeze, that guy just ruins Australia's reputation when he wears the green and gold.
All of Luke Kendall's Shots were from 3pt territory (2-from-8)

Reply #166538 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ng unlikely next season as final year of medical school. Hodge, it was love at first sight, wot a sight! sign him if ya can.

Reply #166540 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

Maybe Im getting a little excited but why arent we looking at Hodge as an import tandom with Ballinger, until he becomes 'as Australian as Ampol'. Here's an idea . . . .

PG; Davidson, Zorich
SG; Tovey ,Maher
SF; Hodge, Crawford
PF; Ballinger, Cooper
C; Mottram,

When Balls becomes Aussie we can grab a big import centre or perhaps SG if we are struggling there. I'd love to see Zorich in 6ers uniform, the kid is gold. Before anyone gets too stuck in, I realise Hodge has had one good game.

Reply #166554 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What happened with Zorich and the Dragons? In the pre season there was talk of him going to the Dragons but I can't recall much about this.

Reply #166569 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he was one of their development players last season.

Reply #166570 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

We have to get Zorich into the mix quickly as that boy is s star.

Reply #166576 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

yeah.. Tover starts before Maher

Anyway, do the Sixers still sell home games on DVD for $15?

Reply #166579 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If Ballinger naturalises before next season begins and Hodge plays well for the remainder of the season id be aiming for a team like

Franklin/Davidson
Maher/Ng or Burdon if Ng goes down the medicine path
Hodge/Tovey or another young athletic SF
Holmes/Mottram
Ballinger/Cooper

I think Ballinger could start C and with Mottram and Cooper on the team and both playing around 20 mins he would play most his mins at PF anyway and Holmes and Hodge both seem versatile and could play 2or 3 positions as required, id use holmes as a SF/PF and Hodge seems to be able to play PG/SG/SF

Reply #166597 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

How did this turn into another thread about the 6ers future?

Reply #166939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754