Isaac
Years ago

Funny Important Forum Change: blocked word addition

At the request of Phil Smyth, all past and future, negative or positive comments containing the text "smyth" will be made unavailable.

One mention of the name in a long post about a game will be enough to trigger this filter. Please keep this in mind if you are writing about the 36ers - do not mention the name in question or your entire post will be rendered unavailable.

This will occur regardless of whether comments are positive or negative, factual or incorrect, potentially defamatory or completely harmless. It has been requested by the individual that all commentary regarding them be disallowed.

This adds to the existing filtering regrettably in place. As was posted then:

Posts will be excluded from the Hoops SA forum if they include certain words. Please do not attempt to get around these words with intentional mispellings or otherwise as you will only be making my job in providing this site more difficult.
This will unfortunately catch posts that are intended for other people or players with the same name. This will filter lengthy posts with only a small reference to the individual. Posts that have been filtered are replaced with text implying that the post is unavailable and linking to this topic for an explanation.

This will be in effect shortly.

Sorry guys. I strongly disagree with this request and consider its timing (the team is winning and comments have been predominantly favourable) unfortunate and likely to work against what it's trying to achieve.

Topic #14215 | Report this topic

Chesty La Rue  
Years ago

That Phil Smith with a y.....

Reply #166705 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

This has to be a joke, right?

Reply #166706 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It is not a joke.

Reply #166707 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'll just refer to him as 'Coach Phil' like Hodge does.

Reply #166708 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Head Coach of the 6ers.....Valdermort.

Reply #166709 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

I guess this takes him out of contention for any future "Greatest Australian PG's" "Multiple Championship winning Coaches" or "NBL Journeymen" discussions as well.

Not to mention any discussion surrounding his nephew Todd of the Sturt ABL side or any NH talk of Albert's Jewellery, Gordan's scientific work on Bioinformatics or Richard's Photography.

Reply #166710 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im guessing he googled his name and it didnt come out all that favourably.

Maybe this is to prevent future employees from reading negative stuff when researching him online?

Reply #166711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity he doesnt spend as much time coaching the team as he does worrying about what is on an unofficial chat forum.

Reply #166712 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Fourth Reich here we come - I hear Hemmerling is going to change his name to Himmler and we will all have to salute Dhil before every game.

How about free speech Dhil - you suck and I for one was a supporter of you but now I hope you aren't coaching the 36ers next year. Thanks for the championships it is sad that you have come to the conclusion that we can't even talk about you on an internet forum. Lets hope Boti continues to be able to mention your name - pity we cant remove the memories of the last couple of years as easily as the filtering gets put in place.

Reply #166714 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow. Talk about getting fans even further offside. If you're a public figure and coach of a major sports team then surely you need to accept that people will want to discuss the performance of you an your team on an unofficial forum. This is incredible, hopefully next year's coach isn't so precious.

Reply #166718 | Report this post

I call him ..... the bald one!

Reply #166719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and likely to work against what it's trying to achieve."

What is it trying to achieve?

Reply #166724 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Does that go for all stats as well?

Isaac did he give you reasons?

What if we wanted to talk about his brother Dave as being one of the Woodville greats? He gets penalised public praise.

I am simply amazed at this, freedom of speech anyone?

Reply #166726 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Can I request the same for anything containing "DDFan"?

Reply #166727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the same rules apply to Boti ???

Coach Felipe Smighfe

Reply #166729 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

so some of you guys think its ok to come on here have a go at somebody by name and yet hide under anon. and when enough is enough you moan - you internet geeks - sledgers - have ruined it for other who enjoy being in touch -
fair is fair - public eye big deal
respect is the issue - respect respect respect

Reply #166730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What is it trying to achieve?
Either combat criticism or just legally questionable criticism (grey area between the two). As I said, I think that doing this at a time when the team is playing well and he has just out-coached the guy at the top of the ladder is unfortunate. The only whinge I can recall since the Kings game is someone upset about Hodge's singlet of all things.

Reply #166731 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Since when is someone's opinion a legal position?

Reply #166732 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mentioned on here recently how good a player he was and how well he's been coaching. Wrong decision.
It's like the 'bowling under arm' decision.

Reply #166733 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Isaac - are you just being nice and going along with the request to keep the peace? Or were you told that if you didnt comply further action could/would be taken?

Furthermore - with all the new references to Valdemort/Felipe/'the coach' are we running the risk of further censorship requests by using such pseudonyms?

Reply #166735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he doesnt like defamatory posts just complain about just those ones. this ruins it for all the actual 6ers threads. not happy jan

Reply #166737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

See the other thread linked in the original topic - same situation as that.

Reply #166739 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

simple forget the existence - stoppping the sleding- some of the posts that have appeared about various people are tasteless at times - start out as banter and then no control -
lets have the wit without the lost of respect 08 sees the treturn od respect respect respect - howaboutjva sighn along respect respect respect

Reply #166741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #166742 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This is really quite offensive to fans of the club. Whether generally positive of said individual (such as me) or his worst critic. It makes me as a fan feel very undervalued.

Isaac, I hate to say it, but this censorship cuts to the very heart of the usefulness of this website. Why have a basketball forum primarily for Sixers fans that Sixers fans can't discuss Sixers issues in?

Reply #166743 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I think that the word is "precious". Everybody is getting too thin skinned and unable to take critisism. At the end of the day, this forum is for basketball fans venting their anger, voicing their opinion, having a discussion, or simply having a laugh.

I don't think that people set out to offend or upset others, although I am sure I have been guilty of carrying a sledge too far. The sad thing is that people are getting too "precious" and just can't handle the words.

Simple really - don't read it if you think it might make you cry.

Getting like bloody pre-school - "No put downs boys and girls"

Reply #166744 | Report this post

Stumps  
Years ago

Methinks a certain public person just damaged his reputation himself far more effectively than anybody else on here ever could. Utterly clueless move.

Reply #166745 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Soft as butter.

Reply #166747 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Must be coming up contract time. Maybe too many home truths have been told?

Reply #166750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if he sent a similar request to the Advertiser, tv networks, Fox Sports etc. I guess if he wants to be a coach of a professional sports team and not have people talking about him AT ALL then he'd better get onto that. Careful what you whisper to the person sitting next to you at the next game as well. Might risk instant ejection if you mention a certain name. Will they take him off the website? Out of programs? No introduction at games?

Reply #166752 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

just for anony's sake, that's R E S C E P T

Reply #166753 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I agree - you are the coach of a professional sporting team, you have to take a certain amount of barbs and arrows. We do fling a lot of crap his way on this forum (some of it warranted, some of it not  we don't know how hard it is to coach a professional basketball team but we do have the right to have an opinion). It is just an easier way for him to filter the bad stuff than reading everything posted about him and then sending Isaac an email asking certain posts to be removed. I think coming out and saying that we can no longer talk about "he who shall not be named" will make us more resentful will it not?

Isaac - you misspelt misspelled in your original post. What was that principle you told us about - people who point out misspellings will misspell in their own post? I bet it will now apply to me :)

Reply #166754 | Report this post

Stumps  
Years ago

Does the filter ignore spaces? If so, won't this mean you can't even say things like "That's my thought too"?

Reply #166757 | Report this post

Stumps  
Years ago

Ah, OK, spaces are fine.

Reply #166758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he'll change his name to a symbol. The Artist Formerly Known As "Phillip"

Reply #166759 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

so some of you guys think its ok to come on here have a go at somebody by name and yet hide under anon. and when enough is enough you moan - you internet geeks - sledgers - have ruined it for other who enjoy being in touch -
fair is fair - public eye big deal
respect is the issue - respect respect respect

This from a guy calling himself Anony......Ha!

You get respect by proving yourself and taking criticism along with praise. When you are in a ublic position, you don't go and hide under a rock with your fingers in your ears, screaming "not listening, not listening". It's simply childish.

He IS married isn't he? He MUST be used to criticism.

Stumps is right....He has just damaged his reputation far more by this action that anything we can say about him.

Reply #166761 | Report this post

About time!!  
Years ago

Good and the sooner the whole forum is shut down the better. #752 I bet actually if the advertiser or Tv printed some of the shit on here they would be sued!! Shows how immature some of the people on here actually are.

Reply #166762 | Report this post

Stumps  
Years ago

"Good and the sooner the whole forum is shut down the better."

I agree. Let's ban television, telephones and newspapers -- heck, all forms of verbal and written correspondence, in fact. That way nobody will ever be able to defame anybody. Communication is overrated anyway.

Reply #166767 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Perhaps the answer is simple all those experts and critics could put there real name and contact details on there post so we could all sledge them or agree.Easy to be a critic when you hide like i am behind an alias good on him you people with agendas and faceless critism have ruined it.Issac how would you respond if you were critised or Oscar all the time and your parents or if you had kids were reading it.Were all a little gutless remaining nameless.

Reply #166768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's burn all books while we're at it!

Reply #166770 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"About time!!" - if you think the forum should be shut down why do you read it and post on it?

Reply #166771 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I have been a Valdermort basher for a while. Credit where it's due though.....great result v Sydney.

I use DICKO, because it IS simply my nickname.

Steve Dickson
[email protected]

Never hidden, Never will.

Swapped emails with PLENTY of people over the years.

Reply #166772 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Let me guess.....Your REAL name is Joker?

Reply #166774 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Could be Heath Ledger DICKO - I hear he is quite passionate about the 6ers

Reply #166777 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

Surely being in the public eye 'he who should not be named' would have the intelligence not to read the newspapers or forums. How the hell does he have the time to do all the reading, as there are always posts on him??

I say to u 'he who should not be named' ( i know your reading this) , get of the internet and do your job! Start watching tapes of the opposition and putting in strategies for us to win!

Reply #166783 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Dicko have you ever spoken to Phil or just sledged him in fact have you been to any trainings or have you ever coached?Your such an expert where did all your knowledge come from.

Reply #166788 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I am saddened by this, I can understand "the coach formerly known as" would have issues with some of the stuff posted here, but he should be embarrassed to request that it be removed. He seemed quite happy to enjoy the freedoms and benefits that his position/name brings him.

Has he requested that local radion stations not accept calls about him?

has he asked that no letters to the editor are published about him?

has he requested that noone shout out their thoughts at the game? (no wait..thats the wildcats lol)

Isaac, i am unsure as to the legal ramifications but i would not have thought this was somethin you would have to accept.

To be honest, it the sign of a desperate man, who if he really thogut about it, is getting more support now, than he has in 12 months..but there you go.

Nows the time folks, if you havent read 1984 or animal farm...read it now.

Reply #166789 | Report this post

Beer o Clock  
Years ago

it won't be long before 'his name' will ever be mentioned.

What a weak effort by a guy who uses every excuse he can

Down with whatsisname!

Reply #166790 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

absolute garbage but how come I'm not surprised....

anyone got a bunch of tissues???

Reply #166791 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Dicko's been around long enough to know enough.

As for the 36ers head coach's name been censored. Can we all recall what happened to the last guys name who was sensored on here, is it a sign of things to come.

Who wants to post about him anyway, surely the negative posts have covered just about everything they could have by now. haha.

How times are changing.

Reply #166797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please differentiate between critical opinion and defamatory posts. Taking down everyone because of the actions of a few is an unfortunate hope - get rid of cars because of a few hoons?

Let me be clear - I am all for someone requesting the removal of something they deem illegal. When it comes up, it is dealt with quickly.

There is a big difference between:

- Isaac is stealing money from his employer.
- I saw Isaac's last site and didn't like it at all.

Both are critical, one is defamatory.

If there are posts that are legally questionable, then the topic at hand can drop me an email about it in a second. The internet is a very different medium and operations change slightly from regular media. Removing those problematic posts would be better than just blanket-banning all discussion of the topic - good and bad, and right at a time when it's overwhelmingly positive.

Here are my two choices:

1. Let everyone post stuff and then take complaints as they come.
2. Screen every post that comes through.

Number 2 sounds great but opens me up to all sorts of legal issues and would mean that I close the site. With Number 1, the person who made the comment is responsible for it and someone who objects can request the comment be removed or try to take them to court - this is how all major forums are run.

me, no, I could have ignored the request and asked for legal notices instead, but I work with the club and so accommodated the request after twice requesting confirmation and advising alternatives. I think it would be preferable for all had I received "please take these posts down or go to court", but saying "bring it on" sounds like I want to antagonise the situation. When all the talk about the team has been very positive this week, the timing of the request doesn't help anyone at all in my opinion - not Phil, Mal, fans, readers, etc.

Reply #166799 | Report this post

Giraffe  
Years ago

`The coach formally known as'.... or `formally known as coach'. That is the question !!

Reply #166801 | Report this post

heheh gold giraffe.

by the way, the 36ers email address is...

[email protected]

Just in case you would like to make them aware of your thoughts.

"Isaac is stealing money from his employer" ... explains the ferrari. :)

Reply #166802 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Being self-employed, stealing from yourself is a little futile! Like siphoning fuel from the Ferrari back into itself.

Reply #166804 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isack, can you change the title to, "I don't wanna loose my Ferrari?"
There's a good boy. T00l.

Reply #166809 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

there goes the neighbourhood

Reply #166810 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by a Dragons diehard loser:
"You get respect by proving yourself and taking criticism along with praise. When you are in a ublic position, you don't go and hide under a rock with your fingers in your ears, screaming "not listening, not listening". It's simply childish."

Do you even know the story behind Phil's anger? I won't guess, I guarantee you don't. Grab a "Scottie" & wipe the tears fat-butt Whitnall.

"He IS married isn't he? He MUST be used to criticism."

Not clever & proving you know sh1t.

"Stumps is right....He has just damaged his reputation far more by this action that anything we can say about him."

HoopsSA posters, put your hands up if you know who Stumps is.

Put your finger up if you know who DICKO is.

Could the HoopsSA flock please line up, Isack's bro is a sheep shagger & on contract.

Feel the pain.

Too easy. : )

Reply #166812 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lol..told ya so :)

Reply #166814 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isack (the Ferrari driving T00L), please pass onto your revered site, who contacted you. Was it admin, or Phil?

Reply #166815 | Report this post

Giraffe  
Years ago

Time to ban DDfan ?
DDfan, Why would you want to taunt the very person who brings us this forum, that you so regualry frequent ?, and Why would you want to do it by poking fun at his brother ??
Dude that sort of stuff is supposed to stop when you graduate from primary school, I'm assuming you have ??

Isaac's not the one who's been paid about 250k a year for the past 10 years to sit on his hands and completely ignore developing SA youngsters.

Reply #166816 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

is this bloke for real.... someone needs to get back on his medication...

Reply #166817 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Is 'the coach formally known as...' related to Cecil Exum at all???

Reply #166818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could smell one certain "fan" all over this situation. One day he will jump back into reality.
Should read **fan try to win fiends, loses and then trys to stop people making comments. In history there are plenty of people of power who tried to control freedom of speech. I love reading posts on this website, but Isaac(not Izaac) shut it down. Let the 36ers advertise for themselves and let the "fan" live in the real world, where perhaps he is a small man.

Reply #166819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really doesn't make much difference as has already been shown.

We are still free to comment, you just can't mention his name.

Reply #166821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Montgomery Burns and Waylon Smithers or Dumber and Dumber? Dumber and Dumber.....DD. I want to become the superhero for the sixers. From now on I am **fan!
Not really, from now on I am and will always be Joe Average.

Reply #166827 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Strange move. I'm thinking someone's packing their bags after this season. Weird move, and a real shame if he bows out without head held high, as has been wonderful for the club.

Reply #166828 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DDFan has freedom of speech too you know.
Isack's got an agenda, DICKO's got an agenda & you guys are sucked in. Not my fault.
Rather than start a new thread, DICKO, how are your Dragons going? Ooooooooooooooooooo they're on the bottom of the table. There's a pity.

Reply #166830 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

DDfan. Whats with all the attacking?

Reply #166831 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Big crowd there on saturday, this will put off about,what would you say 500 - 1000 people from going . Good way to scare away supporters.

Reply #166833 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Exact ammundo TR , i am guessing when medication resumes we will all hear an over the top apology with an invitation to pick him up from the side of the road somewhere left of loopyville .

Reply #166836 | Report this post

ET  
Years ago

DD go home! You are in another world. I still think this is a HOOPSA promo. No person could be so sad. Way to boost ratings Isaac.

Reply #166837 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

DD FAN - the dragons may be on the bottom of the ladder but you are showing you are from the bottom of the barrel .

Reply #166840 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Censor DDFAN! (there's a worthy petition for you DICKO :D )

Reply #166841 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Dickos been around a long time so i assume he has never spoken to Phil or attended a training so we all agree he knows very little.The media always put there real name to there stories or if being interviewed you know the real person. On this forum we are all gutless except Issac so why should he cop it from no names with agendas so if you feel that strongly why not go and see him.Of course you will have to show yourself now who is pathetic us hiding behind alias or him for saying if you have something to say come and say it.It appears we are the pathetic ones.

Reply #166845 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by rotate on this:
"Exact ammundo TR , i am guessing when medication resumes we will all hear an over the top apology with an invitation to pick him up from the side of the road somewhere left of loopyville ."

No retractions coming from me on this front. PROMISE.
You've swallowed Isack's feedder (not surprisingly), yet he hasn't had time to answetr my simple question of who contacted him, out of Phil or admin. Now there's a toughy from an IT guru. For a freebie helper, look up the sender's addy T00L.
Everyone's happy after the win?

(Mod: That's enough DD, it's Isaac! and clearly he isn't the tool.)

Reply #166847 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Skip, I wouldn't be too worried about DDFan... next training session, he'll give Coach one of his trademark "DDFan Sprays", and then be booted from his voluntary role within the club.

As for the forum side, I'm sure Isaac (not iZac or Isack, if you get a chance to read this before Isaac bans you, DDFan) will take care of that next time he's online. :)

Reply #166849 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I'm sick of your posts spamming HSA.

Reply #166852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course the club contacted him you idiot! At the INSISTENCE of the man himself.
Do you think the club would have wanted this or do you think they tried to talk the person concerned out of it, repeatedly!
You are the only one with an agenda here DD because you have swallowed all his bullshit and believed it, as many before you have.
Congrats, you are the tool of the week!

Reply #166854 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

DDFan, Isaac was contacted by the club at the request of Phil, and anyway what does it matter who contacted him? The request was made and as an active affiliate of the club he took the necessary steps to add the filter.

Reply #166859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry DDFan, I was out at dinner. The club contacted me at the request of Phil. I recommended against this course of action and actually asked for confirmation twice before continuing. I stated that I would note the forum change from both Phil and the club unless I received definite word that it was a request specifically from Phil and that was then confirmed.

Reply #166862 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I thought that crying because people are saying nasty things and asking that his name never be mentioned again made him pathetic.....but the new winner is ........DDFan.

Dude, you have to build a bridge and get over what ever caused you to have a sad on with life!! I must say though......some of your comments are nice and sarcastic. What is that they say about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit?

Reply #166864 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

This could go some way to explaining why Boti Nagy has avoided criticising the coaching staff of the 36ers this year.

Reply #166870 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Anonymous:

"Of course the club contacted him you idiot!"

I said they admin/the club contacted Isack, & that should be damned obvious, IDIOT.

Posted by Anonymous:
"At the INSISTENCE of the man himself."

Were you there when it was brought up in conversation this morning, on the Eastern end of centre court?
NUP!!
Too easy.

Posted by Anonymous:
"Do you think the club would have wanted this?"

The club/admin contacted Isack. That's a FACT.

Posted by Anonymous:
"or do you think they tried to talk the person concerned out of it, repeatedly!"

OK Anonymous, the club will be available at [email protected] to answer that very question, give them a buzz first thing tomorrow. Publicly shame me by quoting his complete response. I'll be asking for a copy of the message sent to Isack from their Sent-box tomorrow, & we'll see how they match up. There's another promise.

That's what I love about this site, anybody can log on or forget to, & post unsubstantiated crap to like minded haters.

The team's turning it's fortunes around & you numbnuts still wanna bitch. Quite incredible.

Reply #166871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you need some Conflict Resolution...

Reply #166874 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Isaac after lunch:
"The club contacted me at the request of Phil. I recommended against this course of action and actually asked for confirmation twice before continuing. I stated that I would note the forum change from both Phil and the club unless I received definite word that it was a request specifically from Phil and that was then confirmed.

Cool, can we see a transcript?

Not that I'm doubting you, but it seems odd to me that admin'd contact you
on behalf of Phil if they didn't believe that there was a need/cause.

Reply #166877 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

DD people are bitching because Mr S has requested something so petty.

Reply #166880 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Spinner:
"I must say though......some of your comments are nice and sarcastic. What is that they say about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit?"

Sarcasm, putting out bait, who cares?
Am I losing sleep over not reeling in people like "Mini-Ball Sturty" did the other day?

Pffffffffffffffffffft!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #166881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously mate, take it from me, the club didn't believe there was a need! (see #166854).
Now please, take your pills.

Reply #166885 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What a whole lot of complaints about nothing, especially because there are ways around it and people still know who you are talking about. If a person has requested his name to be blocked from all posts, that is fair enough. I post under the name of EC. It is my actual initials, but very few on this forum know who I am personally. They know just enough to develop an opinion of me by what I post. If my full name was mentioned on this forum, I would have a problem with it. The reason I would have a problem is because there is no control over who writes or what is written. It is done by many uneducated people who have no idea about what is acceptable and what is not (legally and morally). The posts in the past regarding "head coach" have not all been specific to his coaching skills but personally offensive. As a fan of the 36ers it does not give anyone the right to personally offend anyone. As for timing when most of the posts in the last few days have been positive, just goes to show he is serious about this issue and certainly gives no reason for anyone to believe that he is further deteriorating his reputation. If the posts have been positive in the last few days, what happens after the next bad game by the 36ers. I suggest everyone accept and respect this decision and if any legitimate praise or criticism is necessary, then mention it without the need to use a name. No problems from me regarding this change to the forum.

Reply #166889 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Seriously? From Anonymous.

Get a grip.

Reply #166890 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

EC I agree with you to a point. People shouldn't have to put up with insults made specific to their name because of legal and/or moral issues....but why is everybody so sensitive all of a sudden?

He is a public figure (like it or not) charged with the job of coaching a professional basketball team. They are well paid to perform that role and must accept the package - good and bad. Imagine if every public figure put a ban on the use of their name in every form of media - just in case somebody says something bad. Hell, they may even say something nice every now and again!

Not attacking your principle EC - just discussing!

Reply #166894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DDFan, please speak to Paul Bauer for confirmation of the phone call I received from him and subsequent emails providing confirmation (twice).

Reply #166895 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Spinner, I don't think its all of a sudden that people are sensitive. These insulting posts have been going on for a long time and under so many different headings. Its been the main topic of discussion throughout this season and we are almost at the end. He is coaching a professional sports team because he is a professional coach but a great number of posts on this forum are anything but. You can read Boti's articles in the paper and he himself has had some criticisms, but he is a professional writer and understands the legal implications of what he writes. For this reason, he is careful. No care whatsoever is taken on what is written on this forum. I also dont think that accepting what is written about him is part of the package that goes with the role. Spinner I appreciate your comments.

Reply #166900 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Posted by DuDFan

Were you there when it was brought up in conversation this morning, on the Eastern end of centre court?
NUP!!
Too easy.

Oh and you probably were as 'The Coach' always has the laundry boy out on the courts at training..........

Reply #166901 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

But we were talking about greatest state league players and who won 1978 woollacott etc. recently.
Now we can't mention his name, or David's. Not good.

Reply #166904 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I have made some posts in poor taste , however lighthearted or sarcastic the intention in reference to "the coach" . If i have offended or contributed to this reaction , i apologise .

I think some fair points have been made regarding personal insults or sand bagging which probably don't have a place on this forum , and i have used these to try and get a laugh on occasion , .

I do think it is fair to vent frustration , dissatisfaction with the teams and or coaches endeavour , performance or passion . It comes with the territory . The same territory that allows other friendly media spin to provide detours and tangents .

Reply #166910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I'd seen it all on here. This just takes the cake!

What an insult to the fans of the club who pay 'his' wages.

Reply #166920 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I suggest that people simply refer to Isaac's explanation between defamation and crticism. People need to be aware of the very distinct difference, whether using someone's name specifically or by innuendo. That is you can call the guy coach, mentor, the boss or whatever, if the comments are of a defamatory nature, that is when the trouble starts.

Reply #166929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Squid, correct.

Reply #166933 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Slightly confusing request considering the positive path that the 36ers have taken in the past few weeks, but understandable action has been taken here considering potential consequences.I don't agree that one person in an organization should have different rules regarding criticism, the same rules should apply for everyone. However the last thing that should happen is a Charles Thomas repeat on the old forum a few years back, personal attacks and re discussing the same old topics should not be tolerated.

DDFan, please stop baiting for information on how and why this happened, just accept that it has.

Reply #166942 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

On sat. I saw the reason why I love this club and NBL
It was by far the best game I have seen for years it had everything fired by passion from plyrs and supporters. Take the passion out of sport and it fades into obscurity like the sixers support was heading.As passionate fans we are all critics and experts this forum a rare one in NBl gives us that opportunity to express ourselves and hear other fans thoughts and to be told by the club we support so strongly what we cant say is totally wrong. Even though as others has said we can still voice a opinion we have be careful for the sake of Isaac and site. I for one have been critical of our leadership , but after sat game i gave praise how after qtr time we met fire with fire in our defense work and it over flowed into our attack.
However now i will each week post a need for change
as this action strengthens my belief for change
Last words Brad Davidson was the man on sat--- huge.
And do what you have to Mal please sign Ballinger for
3-5 ASAP

Reply #166943 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

EC, you are right in many ways, however in my mind the issue here is much bigger than the coach.

This is an example of censorship, this is about the thoughts and attitudes of many, being overruled by the attitudes of one.

The man is paid as a result of the public support his club receives and should be open to public scrutiny and discussion, no one should be defamed, however there are alternative courses of action if that occurs.

I find the club equally shameful in this event as they have acquiesced to one mans request and this WILL negatively affect the club's public face.

Stand up 36ers management, and allow your SUPPORTERS the opportunity to discuss their team.

Reply #166945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posted at the start of the new year by DDfan

"Secondly, I was only "narcy" through December, & it's a New Year, so hopefully we can get back to talking basketball."

"Suit yourself, I'm really not fussed, but I'm here to talk basketball from now on.
Happy New Year."

How is "just talking basketball" working out DD?
Congrats, you have made yourself into a very important nobody.
Telling us that you exploded in front of "Potsie", that you talked to the artist formerley know as ........ 30 meters from the Hotdog stand at the south entrance this morning. Who cares!!! I am sure these people that you worship so much sit down when they crap, just like the rest of us.

Reply #166952 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This forum commenced as a result of the previous one on the 36ers website being canned. The reason being is because of uninformed, insulting and damaging posts. It was claimed to make a bad impression on sponsors, supporters and the club. A certain CEO only about 12 months ago requested the same action and the same action to block his name was also taken. Recognition of the potential to damage is not new at this moment.

Reply #166953 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Dickos been around a long time so i assume he has never spoken to Phil or attended a training so we all agree he knows very little.The media always put there real name to there stories or if being interviewed you know the real person. On this forum we are all gutless except Issac so why should he cop it from no names with agendas so if you feel that strongly why not go and see him.Of course you will have to show yourself now who is pathetic us hiding behind alias or him for saying if you have something to say come and say it.It appears we are the pathetic ones."

You assume wrong.....I have spoken to Phil on a couple of occassions. Like Heal, I like the guy. He seems fairly friendly, down to earth and likeable. Like Heal, I don't like the team he has put together or agree with his coaching philosophies (or lack thereof).

As for being gutless, I have posted my name and my email address. If you would like to take this offline, feel free to email me. If you missed it....

Steve Dickson
[email protected]

To those who seem to think I have another agenda. The person you are referring to and I are not best mates, we don't talk every day....in fact we talk rarely. We OCCASSIONALLY message each other when stuff happens and discuss our thoughts on the subject. I do not CARE who coaches the 6ers, or any other club for that matter.

DDFan.....seriously, just pull your head in. You go from sending nice PM's on Ozhoops about what's going on in your life, to wishing people Merry Xmas and asking about the health of their family to flat out attacking them with just as much rumour, innuendo and personal attacks as you are trying to defend others from. Seriously, are you bi-polar? We seem to get 2 completely different personalities on here posting under your alias. One of them is a slightly eccentric bloke, who says wierd things but is generally no harm to anyone. The other is a complete psychopath. We never know what we're going to get.

Reply #166955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah while we are in the PUBLIC arena let's hide from people having a go at us! The people who PAY money that support everything I do and have in my life to exist in this world.

I do not want to be accountable, nor even start taking responsibility, I want to be like our politicians and talk crap and bewilder people with my affable and charming personality, so when I go into the media full time and stay on the personality A list, everyone loves me.

I am beyond reproach, I am God, I am good, I am perfect.

New words to soon also be banned, coming to a station near you are : Maher, Mottram, Ng, Ballinger, Davidson, Hodge, Dench, Cooper, Copeland, Sutton, Dodman, Burdon, Breheny......

and the beat goes on........ :(

Shame Pxxx Sxxxx, Shame, Shame

Reply #166960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

me, while unfortunately it will impact the club a bit, they were passing on the request more than anything else. I don't think they've done anything shameful at all. In fact, I don't think Phil has done anything "shameful", just maybe really not understood the repercussions he'd get for very little benefit.

Reply #166968 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Wow, I'm sure there are a lot of ex-players who would like the same rule put in place for Boti!

Reply #166969 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

SIMPLE ANSWERS TO SIMPLE PROBLEMS.
Cant use the name on this site well what does he like even more than the big money, the media joking with his buddies . Shift any discussions to talkback radio and letter to the editor re concerns about leadership and next season. Wont do us anu good after he is re appointed.
Re-- DD FAN no matter what he says dont respond.
He would be loving all the times his name mentioned on this site

Reply #166975 | Report this post

d  
Years ago

I just find it embarrassing that over the last few years various staff/players at the 36ers have made fools of themselves and the club with ridiculous requests like this.

Ever been onto any of the footy or cricket forums?

Blokes are stuck into every day on there and I don't see Mark Williams, Neil Craig or even Ricky Ponting for that matter getting upset about what is written about them and requesting a filter be put in place.

And before I get shot with 'criticism vs defamation', I am sure that there are plenty of defaming posts made in these cases but the players/officials involved cop it on the chin.

How many people have labelled Ricky Ponting a racist over the last month or so in public forums and blogs? Defamation ... surely! How many of those forums has he tried to have censored or shutdown?

We have had this case, the CT case, the CEO case and a case where a member of the admin staff posted on here. Several times these cases have been reported in the media and made a laughing stock of the sport.

I am curious - why does basketball have to be immune to what other sports seem to deal with or happily just ignore?

Reply #166977 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I disagree Isaac,

It may be a hobby horse of mine, but censorship is wrong and(IMO)shameful, its the best way to control the masses. Our press, TV and radio already have lost their independence and are forced by commercial realities to be "careful" with their reporting. I can certainly understand why this takes place especially for smaller businesses and I feel for the owners and management of those businesses.

However, the internet is the last arena in which honest, unbiased discussion can take place, it does run the risk of defamatory comment but a well moderated site can (and in my experience does) take care to ensure the minimum damage is done.

I believe that this is damaging to the reputation of the club, I have already had a comment made by a supporter of another team in regard to how "precious" the 36ers are, note the person said the 36ers not Phil.

Is it the clubs responsibility to "pass on the request" that suggests to me a hidden innuendo, threat or at least tacit support for the request? The next "request" from the club may well be that we no longer discuss, players contracts or results, or that we no longer express our concerns with the standard of the venue, or that games we lose should not be open for discussion.

This is, the thin end of the wedge.

The club and the individual involved should look at sporting forumns around the world to see that this is the way of the future and they cannot stop it, if they spend a little more time it may just be of some assistance to them.

Reply #166979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went onto Wikipedia and seems someone has already done the work for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_(you can guess the rest of the link)

The club is just as responsible for this disgrace as far as I am concerned. If I see Hemmerling he will cop a earful.

Reply #167001 | Report this post

Rarney Bubble  
Years ago

I wonder what the record is for fastest (non-game thread) thread to 100 replies? Surely this would be a contender.

Reply #167004 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

remove the "S" and its just a myth
fact or fiction

Reply #167024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I removed an S as well and I got what I think this is all about!....... hit :P

Reply #167029 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Just read the thread today. Very disappointing.

My first thought is "Why now?", followed closely be "My God, DDFan is a knob."

Thoughts aside - this will impact on the reputation of Phil and the club. I would say that Adelaide fans get the majority of their info about the team from this site.

Reply #167035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, I think many more would read Boti's columns. There are a lot of people you come across, loosely involved with basketball, who might rarely get to games (cost, other commitments, varying level of interest, etc) but follow the team via his articles.

Reply #167043 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Majority of fans vs majority of info - two very different things.

More may read the Advertiser, but it is limited in what info it can provide. I wonder what Boti's take on Phil's request is?

Reply #167055 | Report this post

wound  
Years ago

do you think Boti will make mention of all this in the tiser?

Reply #167066 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Boti had the opportunity to do so today and didn't. Possibly politics would prevent it. More likely though IMO, while the decision may seem like a violation of rights to regular forum visitors here, the simple fact of the matter is that the decision made is not 'news' and the rest of SA couldn't care a stuff what happened on this site (which is precisely why the original decision is so curious).

Boti himself may be a little dissapointed as it may mean that he wont get the inside line on as much rumour and gossip as he otherwise would from this site (to undoubtedly supplement his other more reliable sources of information).

Reply #167098 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I seem to remember Phil Smith saying in December, that if the club wanted to go in a different direction at the end of the season, that he would walk away.

If this "please don't talk about me on the internet" thing is for real, the time has come for him to walk away. Accountability, accessibility, flexibility and openness - my employer demands these from me and I don't see the Sixers as any different. As fans, we're all pseudo shareholders in the business and are being shutdown from talking about one of the key passions in our lives, for what can only be described as silly. I say the club needs to go in a different direction if this is anything to go by.

Scott, start dusting off the resume. You've got my vote and if you ask for your name to be scrubbed off the web, we'll just laugh and continue on - and funnily enough, you'd do exactly the same.

PS. Interesting picture, given the current coaching situation.

Reply #167111 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

spoke to Scotty Whitmore today and just incase the LIONS are in trouble mid season he would prefer the terms.

Minibus
tall hairy freak
big nose neverwas
try hard coach
Scott Whitmore
Big Dog

and coach ?#itmore never be used on this forum when discussing his coaching ability

Reply #167112 | Report this post

Mr13  
Years ago

Seeing we cannot mention P.. S... by name how about by numbers?

Giving the letters A to Z in the alphabet the numbers 1 to 26 respectively, we get a total of......

: 45 for P...
:85 for S...

That totals 130, then divide that by 10 seasons of coaching = 13

Therefore, perhaps we call the person Mr13 instead.

Reply #167150 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Or maybe 'Coach', 'Coach Phil' or just 'Phil'?

Reply #167157 | Report this post

Fancy that  
Years ago

The decision to have all mention of this person's name removed from the forum is just SO precious as to be laughable- it will never result in bad things not being said; it will only result in people talking/complaining/laughing at him even more!
I have the utmost respect for him as a player, coach, mentor, radio personality etc etc, but this....?
By the same token it is a useful reminder of how hurtful things said on such forums can be to people who set themselves up for criticism every day. Most of us do hide behind our pen names, and feel that that entitles us to a God given right to have a go and whoever we please and to say whatever we like without fear of ever being found out or brought to account.
Sure this is a great place to have an opinion, and isn't our variety of opinions what makes us special? But there still is no need to be nasty- if we could just respect the fact that others may not agree with us/ see a game the same way as us, etc etc. Can we also repect the fact that whoever you talk about by name, has family who may also be hurting from the barbs fired at their Dad/Mum/brother/sister/whoever? Treat others as you wbnt to be treated- never a truer word was spoken!

Reply #167363 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

GDay Isaac,

not sure if its possible or not but now that Boti has reported on the above mentioned censorship request and the fact that it is being circumvented by the use of aliases, can something be done to allow posts made prior to the coaches request to be read. ie can just the coaches name be hidden or even substituted for another word - leaving the reast of the post to be read?

Reply #167621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd rather abide by the request for now as originally planned - nearly every single post since this topic has not been impacted. If there are particular posts you want to read, let me know.

Reply #167630 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Fancy That, if a certain coach lived by that rule then not a problem, but I can assure you he doesn't. What goes around, comes around.

Reply #167635 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"At the request of Phil Smyth, all past and future, negative or positive comments containing the text "smyth" will be made unavailable"...

lol...why hasnt this post been deleted??

:)

Reply #167641 | Report this post

OhOh  
Years ago

That bloody tool should try been isiah thomas for a day then

Reply #168249 | Report this post

Mute Mal  
Years ago

Reply #172234 | Report this post

gardsy  
Years ago

haha - like anyone who would consider hiring the person in question would give a toss about commentary from a bunch of losers who just discovered the "innanet"

Reply #172237 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

So Isaac, I've just typed an essay and tried to be constructive and spell everyone;s names correctly so as not to be disrspectfull. AND I GET THIS BLOCK!!!!

Is it possible for you to send the post back for editing by the original poster, so that it will conform to th filtering requirements?

Ehhh?

Reply #176755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As you have probably already discovered, you can hit Back and make the required change. If someone's written an essay and left in the accidental name, I generally track it down and fix it manually. On this occasion you'd beaten me to it.

Reply #176758 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The king is dead..long live the king.

can this ridiculous rule be ended now?

Reply #176760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When someone promises to pay any potential legal bills or Phil decides to call it off maybe?

Reply #176761 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Look at it this way, there should be less reason to mention the incumbent's name now so you shouldn't have to worry...

Reply #176773 | Report this post

ffsff  
Years ago

phil smyth. there i said it

Reply #182710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil smyth...yes!

Reply #236986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754