Trader
Years ago

academy For Woman

When is the lighting going to do something like the men and have a Academy for the juniors who are playing ABA or coming out of SASI.

Topic #14227 | Report this topic

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Which woman would you suggest at the moment?

Reply #166967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More to the point is when are girls going to work out there is no career path and turn to sports that offer them something better.
The lightning will make the playoffs and may even take it out and will play before a 1000 while the sixers and their unnamed coach , middle of the table get a crowd.
Men don't rate womens basketball and don't support it. Its a boys sport.

Reply #166978 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

I don't think an academy for women is required. Our top SA female ballers make *the big time* easier through state / AIS / College / WNBL as it is.

I'd dare say they out-perform the boys in this state.

It's a nice gesture towards equality suggesting setting up a female academy, but the reason for Belly and Ninnis setting up the guys one was to fill the gap between ABL and WNBL.

On the womens side, there isn't that gap, IMO.

Reply #166982 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

for Belly and Ninnis setting up the guys one was to fill the gap between ABL and WNBL.

(Shhh! Should've read NBL.)

Reply #166987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chalk and Cheese Peter, elite males make a living in Oz, elite female basketballer earn more in their real jobs. I'm well aware that markets decide values but the disparity in sports like basketball between males and females is huge.
Maybe women belong in the kitchen still because the base rate for cooks tops what elite female basketballers can earn.
Market it better and concentrate on the hetrosexual, athletic bodies and ditch the undesirable butch tags too often associated with the sport and it may do better.

Reply #167028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Assuming that the WNBA have some of the best athletes, best backing and best marketing - how well do they do?

Reply #167033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the girls coming out of SASI are glad to be out!! the girls from SA do get a good run at AIS but what about those girls who are close but not quite there!! A few extra coaching seasons with a coach with some skill and not a couple of old died in the wools could change the state of womens basketball in SA.

Reply #167276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I can't agree with 2 of your premise assumptions that they have the best athletes or marketing. Women's basketball still is light years behind in basketballer's body shape. You can't market an unattractive package and women basketballers, in many cases are chunky out of shape players and some are just plain fat. Men's basketball is a show piece of athletic male bodies and highly marketable. My point here is that women basketball players are not the best athletes going around despite the exceptions.
Consequently what are the WNBL marketing? The game itself and that is womens basketball which has a reputation of a butch sport played by giants. While several players in the current Australian team are bankable , the same can't be said across the womens league.
So your answer is they don't do all that well at it because they can't find a way to market it, promote it or find the exciting athletic types that would make it great.
Anon, I think you are right that most girls are glad to get out of SASI and the drop out rate is high as well but I'd argue that only country SASI kids do well out of it.

Reply #167283 | Report this post

the dog  
Years ago

But isn't it good if you can play and train against better people bring your standard up.
So l think the Acadeny would be good for woman Basketball and for ABL Standard.

Reply #167285 | Report this post

Eagle 35  
Years ago

An academy for women would not meet the monetary needs that the men do. If Paul Bell is not able to make money as the agent for the girls, (which he can't becasue there is not enough money in the sport) then it will not get done.

Reply #167286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, Paul Bell DOES have women basketballers on his books and secondly he no longer has any involvement in the 36ers Academy.

Reply #167291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get your facts right Eagle35

Reply #167379 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

167283, I meant within the sphere of female basketball, the WNBA would be the top (or close enough) in terms of talent, backing and marketing.

And, given that they have that, how do they do?

The last piece I read about the WNBA on ESPN (a while back), it talked about pursuing the gay market and father/daughter market.

e.g., not quite what this comment proposed:

Market it better and concentrate on the hetrosexual, athletic bodies and ditch the undesirable butch tags too often associated with the sport and it may do better.

Reply #167395 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754