skip
Years ago

Should Maher relinquish captaincy?

Don't get me wrong I love the guy and truley believe he is the greatest ever 36er. However with him breaking down a couple of times in each of the last few seasons should he look to pass on the role to someone else for next year?

I know its probably not a role that is as honoured in say football. For instance, I could probably only name 4 or 5 captains from other NBL clubs. But, I also look at football clubs as an example for changing captains at the right time.
James Hird for Essendon decided the time was right to pass it on when he struggling with soft tissue injuires latter in his career. Still continued to play for a couple more season and when out on the field still played as well as anyone up until his last game.
On the other side, Nathen Buckley barely played in his last 2 seasons but still held onto the captaincy. Now retired, Collingwood are struggling to replace him.

If the club was to decide on going with a new Coach for next season then I would certainly believe a new captain should also be given a go as the club moves into a new era.

This would also take pressure off Brett and most would believe he will start to see limited minutes in the future and probably be coming off the bench.

As to who should take over, Im not sure.

Perhaps it could be an extra enticment to keep Ballinger with us or to bring Jacob Holmes back?

Topic #14244 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Good topic Skip.
I would hate to see him not captaining the team, but it is probably the best recruiting tool we have. I agree with offering it to Holmes or Ballinger, both players do the hard yards out there on the court, and would be good options IMO.

Having said that, I would still be happy to see him captain next year (and the year after!)

Reply #167191 | Report this post

I tend to agree with this thinking BUT only if there is someone suitable to take over.
I think the ideal person is Jacob Holmes!
If, with a coaching change we can entice him back to Adelaide i think this is the ideal situation.
Ninnis did get him to the Dragons so one would think that if he landed the job here, he would be a good chance to get him back.

Reply #167193 | Report this post

Chesty La Rue  
Years ago

I think captaincy would affect the way Holmes plays. He is very much a confidence guy and if things aren't going his way, more so offensively, his captaincy could become flatter than his jumpshot.
But who said he is coming back?

If you sign Ballinger next year I would make him captain or possibly even the feisty Davidson.

Reply #167199 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm a big fan and admire Brett. But he's breaking down too much now. We need a performing leader.

I think Brad Davidson is good. He communicates regularly and knows the game well.

Balls would also make a good leader.

Something for the team to think about.

Reply #167201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How many years do you think Davidson would play on? I would've thought a few more to come at least, but heard someone suggest maybe just one more?

Leave the captaincy with Maher next season IMO. If anything, just reduce his minutes or bring him off the bench. And have someone earmarked for the captaincy in the following year.

I think Davidson or Ballinger would be appropriate were they interested, and also think Holmes could be a good choice.

After the Dragons' season this year, I reckon Adelaide should be getting in Holmes' ear - was speaking positively over there earlier in the year, but I reckon the season might've had more of an impact on him by now.

Reply #167202 | Report this post

Chesty Jacob is already a captain with the Dragons and is having a solid season. He is a natural leader he would be great in that role.
Also was earmarked long ago as the next Sixers captain before Voldermort gave him reason to leave.

Reply #167204 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the Sixers should take a leaf out of the Redback's book and appoint a captain who struggles to perform at this level and has to fight for his spot in the side, perhaps Matt Sutton?

That would mix things up.

Reply #167207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the season Jacob is having an example of good captaincy? Bottom of the ladder, problems between players and coach and an asst coach walking. I thought a good captain would have a bigger hand in holding things together. Or is it all Sh*n* H*al?

Reply #167209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Heal has to take a lot of the responsibility for that. Might just be biased, but I reckon Holmes and Ingles are the top two that can walk away from their wreck of a season and know they contributed well (edit: not to the wreck!).

Reply #167213 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Certainly on the court I think it would be hard to feel like you are a Captain when your coach is out there with you.

Reply #167215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess it would be hard to captain a team with the coach playing the point guard spot who is also known for his ego. Maybe the next nine games will give him a better chance to grow into the role.
The 36ers are a storied franchise, so giving it to a role player like Matt Sutton diminishes the position, IMO. Also would Sutton be in the Sixers long term plans.

Reply #167216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Skip, great minds think alike.

Reply #167217 | Report this post

Suttons career will be these last few games and then he will be done IMO. Think Zorich is a far better player and from his lack of play in recent time think he will struggle to survive. Also Burdon showing more promise than him too.

Reply #167218 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Suttons gone IMO or he should be

Reply #167222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davidson takes on the role of captain when Maher is out injured, plus he is part of the 36ers leadership group.

Isaac - your source is incorrect? Davidson has 1 year left on contract with the 36ers but has never mentioned that would be the end for him.

Reply #167230 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Respect to brett, I am proud to wear his name and number are on the back of my singlet..he is GOD!!

However, time to give the guy a break, reduce his minutes and responsibilities next year let him be a high impact player with reduced court time.

Offer Ballinger the role, wads of cash, the first born of any one in SA, even a ride in the Ferrari, if it means we get a long commitment from him.

Reply #167235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just don't think Ballinger has the leadership qualities to be captain (or vocal enough).

But hands down brilliant player and we should re-sign him.

Reply #167243 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

If Davo hangs around id give it to him hands down. I think he would be a great on court leader and a real general for the team.

Having said that i dont mind Brett remaining captain until he retires =)

Reply #167244 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I've had Balls as captain on my dream team for weeks. Yay!

Reply #167245 | Report this post

Risky to give this role to an import as well these days as not many stay as long now as what Davis did.
Plus my mail is he is still looking to re unite with Joyce at the Gold Coast.

This has been the problem with Voldemort, he has let good Adelaide kids go else where and those that would be great future captains of the club. The club has been blind to the fact that young kids havent wanted to play for him as they wouldnt develop or would sit there.
Someone said to me about three years ago, that by the time he leaves the club will struggle because it would have been ran downwards, funny how that is now true

Reply #167246 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

just leave it as it is. I dont really see the benefit of the change. Everyone knows this is bretts team, if he is off the court davidson is really the floor general and runs things so there is no real drop off. Brett is the heart of the club that will not change until he leaves, captain or no captain.

Reply #167251 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I just personally believe a new captain would also benefit from having Brett still around playing for a year or two. It is then less of a big jump into the role.

Reply #167257 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

true but personally i don't think a captain in bball is that hard to fill. You are not really required to do anything special apart from media, you need someone who is either headstrong and gives orders ie davidson type or a play who's performance is their real leadership ie brett.

Reply #167280 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Just on Basketball Captains can anyone name all the NBL team captains?

I can only name a few

Adelaide - Maher
Perth - Rogers
South - Holmes/Shanahan
Brisbane - Sam Mac
Melbourne - Anstey

Reply #167442 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Townsville would have to be Rillie.
Wollongong is Campbell

Reply #167454 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Adelaide - Maher
Perth - Rogers
Townsville - Rillie
Hawks - Campbell
South - Holmes
Brisbane - Sammy Mac
Tigers - Anstey
Gold Coast - Pero Cameron/James Harvey
Slingers - Knight
Kings - Smith
Razorbacks - Hinson
New Zealand - Henare
Taipans - I think its Darnell Mee or Cattalini

Reply #167729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754