Isaac
Years ago

Nash replacement options slim

Boti Nagy has reported comments from Phil Smyth today suggesting that Adelaide's options to replace injured Mark Nash are very slim and that the chances of them finding a suitable replacement were "highly unlikely".

While there was talk earlier this week and last of the Melbourne Tigers dropping David Stiff or Neil Mottram to sign ex-Wildcat Rashad Tucker, it is more likely that Greg Blake will be axed.

Blake, a 196cm shooting guard, has scored only 5 points in his last 6 games, seeing very limited minutes. Smyth has no interest in signing him.

Topic #1425 | Report this topic

$talks  
Years ago

Any updates on when the Cat's stint in Europe might finish? Would he be a possibility to play last part of season or would his points put us over?

Reply #16367 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I would doubt it. I don't know when it ends but I don't think we could fit him into the cap. And I don't think cat would play for Mark's money, although over a shorter period it would be pretty good. He would stay in Europe I would think, it has to be destructive to keep moving around. Just my opinion. I don't really think we need anyone huge, stiff would have been a great fit but it looks like we might need a guard with brett sore, jase stuffed foot! (why we have him?) leaving Ng to carry the fill in duties. It might not be worth disrupting the team to bring a new player in.

Reply #16369 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Would money be an issue for Catt? He would've earned his money in Europe this season and the chance at a Championship with the Sixers could be tempting.

But I doubt's it's an option. If it was then Smyth would be leaving a spot open for him and wouldn't even consider replacing Nash.

Reply #16398 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Points cap would be an issue with Catt.

He is a 10 player, being a Boomer, whereas Nash would have been no more than a 7.

NBL rules state you cannot replace an injured player with a player of higher points value.

Reply #16402 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

From nbl.com.au:

"If a player is injured during the regular season and placed on injury waiver, only a player of equal or lesser points can replace him. In other words, a team cannot improve its point total position through injury. If a player is cut (permanently waived) from the team, a team can replace him with any player as long as the team remains within the team point limit."

Nash won't play again this year so we could just waive him permanantly.

Reply #16404 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Nashy is worth holding onto for next year Doc, he can play 4 positions and there aren't many players today that can make a claim for that one.

Phill will run him ragged next pre season to see if his back will stand up

Reply #16415 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What if Cat comes in to replace 2 injured players (Nash & Williams). Wouldn't the combined points of the 2 injured players cover Cat's points?

Reply #16417 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No, because you cant replace 2 players with 1 player. You have to nominate who he is replacing. And all clubs *MUST* have 10 players on their roster.

Reply #16419 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually, they need 10 contracted players and 2 development players.

Adelaide is currently doing this by having Hambour in the 10 contracted, with Gower and Gerlach as the development players.

Reply #16420 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

gower is finsihed develpoing.think we should look at others eg puddifoot.

Reply #16426 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

"Nashy is worth holding onto for next year Doc"

I mean we could cut him for the rest of this season (he won't play this season anyway). I am sure that wouldn't stop us from signing him for next year, would it?

"No, because you cant replace 2 players with 1 player. You have to nominate who he is replacing."

I am pretty sure the Kings did. Rolan Roberts in for Thalo Green and Luke Kendall.

Reply #16433 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Wouldn't Rolan Roberts be replacing Thalo just by himself? Both are imports aren't they???

Reply #16435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thalo was a 9 point player and the Kings were at the points limit.

Reply #16440 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

The bigger questions is how the Kings fit Roberts in but how the Tigers fit Tucker in for Blake.

Does anyone know the value of each of the Tigers points?

I struggle to see how a team can have a bench of D-mac, Corletto, Tucker, Mottram and Stiff (arguably stronger than other team's starting fives) and yet be under the points cap.

I understand that Gaze would only be a 5, and Bradtke and Copeland 7s because they have played for the Tigers for so many years. However, the rest of their roster is packed with decent players.

Considering we could not sign Moore last year when our bench consisted of Williams, Ng, Forman, Nash and Hambour because of the points cap, how the heck did the Tigers manage to sign Tucker for Blake?

Does Seamus McPeake run the league? Where is the investigation by the NBL this year? Didn't we have Moore's contract voided by Harmison and Lindsay Gaze last year? Do Melbourne have to go through the same process?

Fair enough that the players' contracts are confidential and they can't disclose how much each player earns but why aren't the players points values made public before the season starts?

Reply #16441 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

How come Thalo was a 9 point player? Aren't all imports a 10? In points that is!

Reply #16453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Imports are an automatic 10 in their first season in the NBL and are then re-rated in subsequent years. Thalo was assessed as a 9.

Reply #16455 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

That's a bit high for an import who only averaged 8 points and 3 rebounds then in his first year.

Reply #16458 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

All imports are rated a 10 when they arrive, but can be 're-assesed' at any time. And since Thalo had played for the Tigers the season before they had something to assess him on and thus his rating was changed to a 9. Which is still overly flattering for him, should be a 7 at best.

Reply #16532 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Melb financially in trouble, a successful team better for the NBL.

Shoot first, fine later.

Reply #16574 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754