the spy
Years ago

Game Night Entertainment

This years game night entertainment has been pathetic i thought we were told things were going to get better in this area.I have been a 36ers follower for over 15 years and whoever puts this together certainly does it without much thought.The cheerleaders are great but thats the end of it right there.Very poor can we please place someone in charge who puts some effort in cant be that hard with a little effort.

(Mod: Made the topic more appropriate.)

Topic #14269 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

I for one am sick of the MC who 'tries' to rev up the crowd

How long has been in the position amd what is everyones view on this

Reply #167610 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's the courtside announcer (Neil - sits on the score bench) and the game night MC (Bonz - wanders around).

You might mean Neil as he tries to start the "defense" and "let's go" chants.

I think he does a decent job, knows and loves the game and I reckon the forcing of the chants is just something that will start some people making noise and annoy a few others. Doesn't really bother me that much personally.

Reply #167612 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Its the Bonz bloke I cannot handle. Does anyone know what the hell he is saying most of the time? Then when you do hear him, he is wishing someone a happy birthday or anniversary and we have no idea who the hell he is referring to or even care about!
Gee that toy hummer race was a ripper too wasn't it, what the hell was that all about?!
As far as Neil is concerned, he probably means well, but I find it embarrassing when after a terrible loss, he asks the crowd in the last minute or so to "bring em home" then asks everyone to applaud "your team, the Adelaide 36ers". By that time I am walking out the stadium shaking my head after another disappointing night.
The crowd starts to make a noise when the players show us something to get excited about, that is why it was like a mrogue on Wed night.

Reply #167614 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Sorry for typing error, I meant morgue.

Reply #167615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you can't hear what Bonz is saying, chances are he is talking about his forbidden love for that Subaru at half-time!

(Personally, I find him quite easy to understand even with the oldish PA.)

Reply #167619 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

It's not an ideal situation really...

The guy who tries to get the crowd going in-game is there to do his job, but when the team isn't playing well, no one wants to cheer anyway. It's extremely annoying sitting there watching the Sixers shooting bricks and down by 20 only to be told "COME ON! BRING THEM BACK!" I wish I could grab a mic sometimes and reply "I'd love to, if they gave us something to cheer about".

Although I guess it's not all bad...they could be playing music all throughout the game like a couple of years back. Over the crappy speaker setup it was like they were trying to drive us out rather than rev us up...

Reply #167620 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

the spy
rather than criticising, how about offering up suggestions of what you would like to see.

Remember there is not a huge budget to work with so things like wanting to say see Sneaky Sound System at half time are not realistic.

Reply #167622 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Up here a big hit at half time has been the loony tunes characters from Movie World. While it doesnt do anything for me the kids at the games go mental as the characters do some dance routine at half time then spend the next 1/2 hour wandering around having photos and hugging the kids. Tonight we have the 'Batman' Crew in place of Tweety bird and friends.

Another low cost winner that the Blaze have is 2 rap dancing dudes that compliment the cheer girls. They come on court a couple of times during the times outs and do some amazing stuff (one of them held a world record for number of head spins in a row) the crowd always respond well to these guys

Reply #167629 | Report this post

ando  
Years ago

I remember years ago , at half time we used to have people dunking off of spring boards while doing tricks. Maybe we could have something like that again?

Reply #167632 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Assistant valdemort come out at half time, stand in the centre of the court and we could watch his head spin, maybe even count the number.

(Mod: Assist to Statman.)

Reply #167633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ando, the Bullets regularly get those guys out for half-times and they're very impressive. If you could get something like that or Da Klinic for every game, no one should be disappointed, but they do cost a bit to get out.

Reply #167643 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

As a comparison, the courtside announcer for the cats is WAYYY more annoyoing than anyone i ever heard in adelaide.

The announcer here, not only starts the cheer, but continues it, shouting through the mike the whole time.

He also gets quite aggressive even derogatorey toward the crowd if he thinks they arent loud enough.

On the flip side, the crowd does respond and get damn noisy at his urging.

One thing they do that i think seems to get the quarters off to a big start (atmoshpere wise) is he gets everyone in the stadium to stand and clap, stamp etc until the Cats Score their first basket for the quarter...dammed annoying if your an opposition fan lol...and ...a little embarassing if the home team gets away to a bad start and are 4-6 points down before everyone can sit.

Reply #167646 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

oh sorry...and on entertainment...nothing really, hummer race, really young dance troupe, tat sort of thing.

Reply #167647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth fans seem to rave about their announcer (Lachie?).

A few other teams do that "stand until" thing - e.g., stand until the opposition scores their first bucket. Would be good to try that here - bit of a novelty.

Reply #167651 | Report this post

Nightcat  
Years ago

As a comparison, the courtside announcer for the cats is WAYYY more annoyoing than anyone i ever heard in adelaide.

Anyone remember that cat xxxx xxxxxxxx...

Reply #167654 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Give us something to cheer about and get excited about. Stop demanding even though I know you're meaning well.

Reply #167659 | Report this post

Bring Back Murray!

Reply #167673 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

To have a mascot made you are looking at probably around $4000 - $6000 dollars. big investment for something that is only used 30 hours a year.

Reply #167675 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

gotta agree with bring back murray...kids love them!

Reply #167677 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I suppose on the same note, Some players could be regarded as a big investment for less than 30 hours court time a year.

Reply #167678 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Bring Back Murray - find a company who wants to advertise at the Sixers, charge them $4-6000, and give them the naming rights and advertising space for several years to Murray.

So it could be
"Murray Voldermort Magpie"
or "Murray Iced Coffee Magpie"
or "Murray Coopers Pale Ale Magpie"

Reply #167681 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Murray "Benson & Hedges" Magpie (just for the kiddies!)

Reply #167690 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Get rid of the fricken "Sprint Auto" ads EVERY TIME the floor needs wiping.

Gets a bit monotonous! Maninly cos its a crap jingle.

How about some quality full-court 3 on 3 on 3 stuff? Under 18/20 teams have a training run... showcase some junior talent?

The skateboarders were great, when are they coming back?

Reply #167691 | Report this post

the spy  
Years ago

Wasnt Paul Bauer sent on a trip to the U.S.A.by Mal to come back with some new ideas for entertainment if so Mal you wasted your money.Looks like he just caught up with some of his college buddies at your expense.Dont give me the one about no budget we are all over the bald guy when he says they dont have the budget to recruit some of the guys who want to come here.

Reply #167698 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I like Robbo's suggestions

Reply #167718 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Robbo the Skateboarders cost a fortune, unfortunate as it is. I don't think the club can afford them on a regular basis.

Reply #167724 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

hows about bonz getting off every time the car comes on the court - nothing against the sponsor - we need more like them - but surely doesnt have to carry on like it the first car invented
boring

Reply #167726 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The entertainment has been sad... I still think the dummers shuld be added... and i actually liked the idea of turning off the lights and doing that NBA like entrance (possibly an occupational health and safety hazard).

Reply #167728 | Report this post

hood  
Years ago

Funny thing is Spy, along with Potsie being sent to the `US of A' to learn how to have some decent half time entertainment, the coaching staff were also sent to the US to supposedly learn how to coach. Looks like Mals dollars were spent wisely on both counts.

Also what the hell was the point in plugging the Lightning by having the girls compete in the hummer race if they didn't even mention when the hell the next game was ?? Pathetic. What a complete waste of time. Who was the genius behind that one ? No wonder they struggle to get more than 300 people to a game if NO ONE KNOWS WHEN IT IS !!!

Reply #167735 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Sounds like some "ideas" have been "borrowed" from the Bullets.

The Hummer race has been a regular or 3/4 time most of the season. They Bullets also run 2 announces, however, the roving guy does a pretty fair job.

Since the Bullets dont have Cheerleaders anymore (sadly), they have to come up with WAY more entertainment for timeouts and breaks. While its not great, it gets the job done.

Reply #167744 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I doubt the Hummer race has been 'stolen' off the Bullets. You would have to assume that all clubs have been given some little Hummers by the league to promote the product.

Reply #167746 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

'stolen' should be 'borrowed'

Im really not having a good day.

Reply #167747 | Report this post

the spy  
Years ago

Hey Hood ,only one thing wrong Coaches paid for themselves Mal didnt pay a cent for there trip.Bauers was paid for by Mal,that in itself says how bad things are done.Lets send a guy over to improve our game entertainment which is schocking at best.Coaches pay for themselves and under the circumstances coming to light probably arent doing to bad.Injuries play a big key in sport look at the crows last year when Roo went down.We have lost Marsy and Davidson this year for stretches and we are a little thin with them gone.Not sure in sport what reasoning you use for poor entertainment but blame the coaches we blame them for everything else.Simple the man isnt doing his job h.ad money spent on him to get some new ideas and entertain us hasnt happened get someone else.

Reply #167748 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

123abc - Agree with you about the lights. Unfortunately the lights at the Dome (and most Stadiums) need to warm up when they are turned on or turned off and then turned on again before they reach full power. Stadiums in the US use globes which reach full power immediately they are turned on - BUT - I believe that they cost around $1000.00 per globe. Expensive exercise given the fact that the OWNER of the Dome may not want to spend that sort of money. Speaking of money, what has happened to the PROMISED new sound system (supposed to be installed over break) and new cube/scoreboard Sound.

Reply #167749 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

the spy - you dont happy to be 'fox' from the Media thread as well do you?

If so, you seem to be having quite a whinge today.

Reply #167751 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON12 - the new PA system is there. However, it's best to install it along with the cube (not sure what the deal is with that). I would say that the cube/PA are the domain of Groves as owner of the venue - as others have hinted before, his share price has dropped in recent months and he may have put a few things on hold.

Reply #167754 | Report this post

Dirty Day  
Years ago

Hire a Karaoke machine and let some people from the crowd fulfil their life long ambition of embarrassing themselves in front of 1000s of people. I'd watch that.

Reply #167755 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Bonz! That's the guy who p***** me off!
Very VERY average entertainment for the fans.
Come up with something new mate if that's your job!

Why don't we copy what AFL do and play the kids at half time??
Perhaps pick 10 from the crowd to get the parents wanting to brin the family back on the chance that they may see their child on the court!
With AFL you have to be in the AUSkick to get a game but if they choose a few from the crowd i think it would work.

If it's a legal issue if the child injures themselves bring out a waiver form for the parent to sign.

Would this not work...

Reply #167770 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

How bout an entertaining game , that would be a good start . And we have probably had all but two this season .

Reply #167772 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754