Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats cop $20,000 fine from NBL

Via: a Perth fan on OzHoops

According to The West, the Perth Wildcats have been hit with a $20,000 fine by the NBL for fielding too many contracted players in two games. The extra person was Mike Homik who barely even hit the court so the league has gone with a fine instead of stripping the Cats of their wins in those games.

That has to rate as one of the bigger fines handed out by the league in recent years? Expensive mistake for the Cats.

Topic #14319 | Report this topic

me  
Years ago

Because of the irregularities, The League had the power to "wipe out" the wins over the 36ers and Melbourne.

However "the club was given leniency because the grossly undermanned League head ofice accepted some of the blame for not picking up the errrors"

"neither NBL chief, nor the Perth Managing director would disclose the penalty and the league has worked hard to keep the matter secret, but the West Australian understands the club was fined $20,000

Im somehwat concerned that the league would try to keep this kind of thing secret...kinda makes you ask
WHAT ELSE?

Reply #168459 | Report this post

Give the money to the Hawks !

Reply #168467 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Give the win to the Sixers!

Reply #168488 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Seriously

some of these rules regarding rosters really should be looked at. How has Homik given the Wildcats any unfair advantage?

why wasnt Erik Burdon filling in for Brett Maher on a road trip to BrisVegas against the league's no 1 pressing defence? I heard a rumour he could not go because as a development player he is only allowed so many matches on the road, and he has already reached that limit.

Reply #168498 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

If there is a 6th man on the floor..but he doesnt touch the ball, does he influence the game?

rules is rules, the 20k sounds like the league saying...

"we should have docked the points, but coz we stuffed up to, we are going to just slap you real hard"

Reply #168510 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Why should any team get special treatment? You break the rules, you forfeit - simple.

Remember when the league office had balls ? Those were the days - when the Tigers forfeited a win over Adelaide for fielding a player who had not received his clearance (Bradtke) ...

Reply #168513 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ha, you guys are so inconsistent. when the 36ers were fined for salary cap breaches (read: the league office had balls) you all moaned about it....

Reply #168515 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

That's because we thought we were Sydney!

Reply #168520 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Or Brisbane or .......

Reply #168522 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Not for the lewd close dancing routine by the cheerleaders in the timeout a couple of weeks ago?

This thread is a major disappointment.

Reply #168530 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It really disgusts me that the NBL have the power to strip a team of wins for breaches to the rules yet it can watch a video tape of a game, see that a team was unfairly disadvantaged by incorrect calls made by the refs to the extent that it cost them the game and yet they cannot reverse the win/lose outcome. Isn't that a form of hypocrisy?

If Perth do have to pay a $20,000 fine, then I agree with Defence wins Games, give it to the Hawks. Let one of the ailing teams of the NBL benefit from it.

Reply #168547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hoop Fiend, I think they could've played Burdon if Maher was put on injury waivers - is that correct?

Reply #168583 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

EC, honestly, what kind of precedent would it set if the NBL started overturning game results because of some iffy officiating in the last minute? Are you serious???

What about if the bad decision was in the first quarter, and the team then went on to lose by a point? It is a sport, you cop the calls and you move on.

Unless you can prove that the Umpires cheated (accepting cash bribes, betting on the home side etc), why should the league even consider doing this? Is that what you are suggesting of the officials on the night? (read: if you say so without evidence, that would be slander)

Where is the hypocrisy? I just don't see it. One is a technical breach where they fielded an illegal team that entitles the NBL to enforce a forfeit (but where in the circumstances, it just isn't deserved), the other is a couple of 50/50 calls that went with the home side.

Reply #168588 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754