Isaac
Years ago

Hodge gets Player of the Week

Adelaide's star import Julius Hodge has taken out the National Basketball League's Player of the Week award for Round 19 of the 2007/08 HUMMER Championship after guiding his team to a crucial win over Cairns that kept the 36ers playoff hopes alive.

Hodge averaged 33.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.5 assists for the week as the 36ers went 1-1 for Round 19.

The American had 27 points, four rebounds and four assists as Adelaide narrowly lost to second-placed Melbourne on Wednesday at the Distinctive Homes Dome, 113-108.

Then on Saturday, Hodge exploded to score 39 points (15-of-24 from the field) and add 10 boards and five assists as Adelaide upset the higher-ranked Cairns Taipans on the road, keeping their hopes of a post-season berth alive.
Kelvin Robertson was runner-up. Adam Ballinger and Darren Ng made the honourable mentions list.

Hodge's award gives Adelaide two of the past three weeks. Ballinger won it in Round 17 (second POTW award for the season).

Well done to Julius - very much deserved.

Topic #14419 | Report this topic

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Yeah great stuff really deserved it. Has been playing very well lately.

Reply #169767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone here has said it, and now i will. Re-sign him NOW!!!

Reply #169776 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not everyone has said it. I am still undecided. I think it comes down to team structure and who else is signed. He could work for next year's team but possibly not.

Reply #169778 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

XY you couldn't be more on the fence. I think the vast majority of people on this forum would definitely like to see him resigned. The idea of having a player we have seen glimpses of magic from resigned now instead of bringing in a 'make or break' unknown will sell more season tickets and keep the remaining holders in their seats!

Reply #169787 | Report this post

Cat 11  
Years ago

Better the Devil you know hey Kobe24 ?
Could also say the same for the coach I guess. - But I wouldn't :)

36ers need a player that can get the crowd involved, and put bums in seats waiting for a dunk or two. As good as Ballinger is, he doesn't have that same crowd drawing appeal as Hodge throwing down a big dunk. I think Hodge has been the missing link since Farley went home.

I wouldn't want to see the club risk getting another dud import, even under a new coach there's always that risk - might be why the current coach preferred imports that had already been in the league.

Reply #169789 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No six week jelling period for Hodge. Some of the credit must go to the coach. Keep the coach, Hodge, Ballinger, Davidson, Ng & Maher and build a team that will compliment these players. The problem with the 36ers is the non performing players.

Reply #169802 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

EC like your thinking perhaps we could spend some real money like some of the other clubs and buy some consistent name players.Saville has been horrible with Sydney would be a good fit doubt we would want to pay his salary though.

Reply #169841 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

jokker after this current year can saville really be asking for much - he has stunk as much as chappell, only reason sav is still in the league is he is an aussie

Reply #169860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would've had a multi-year deal in Sydney, wants to be near his wife's business, and his numbers are mostly down because he's on a strong team and not playing a top role as he did with Wollongong.

Reply #169872 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I would have thought that before any players are signed/re-resigned the coaching situation needs to be sorted.

IF there is a new coach coming in for next season then they should have an input into the make up of the team that they will be expected to get results from rather than walk into a group that was picked by the owner. No matter how good Hodge is he may not fit into the plans of the coach moving forward

Reply #169883 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I notice Boti today is calling for Hodge to be retained.

Kobe, I am not sure why what I am saying is 'sitting on the fence'. I have a well formed opinion on the issue and I want to see a lot more before I would sign Hodge, with particular attention to the team make-up next year.

I like watching Hodge, and clearly he has some skills. However I am not sure yet whether he is the perfect fit for this team (or in fact any team). It seems to me that he needs a lot of isolation plays run for him to get him in the game. The whole 'clear out, Hodge has the ball' thing can be very disruptive to the game. Save for last Saturday's game, I think for instance that Ballinger has to some extent had difficulty with the transition of Hodge into the team (I know he has also been missing some shots he would usually drain). Hopefully they can all get it together.

As said above, it is also very important to know who will be coaching next year. Hodge is a fairly unique talent, and would not necessarily fit in to every coaches ideal lineup (Goorj for instance wouldn't know what the hell to do with him - totally inconsistent with his team gameplan).

Reply #169898 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger being doubled up on, I think rather than Hodge taking away from him, and they are getting it better.

Reply #169922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754