Boy Goorj
Years ago

Sixers approach Goorj, Goorj says no

The Adelaide Sixers approached Brian Goorjian to coach Adelaide next year but were turned down.

Would people have welcomed him?

Topic #14426 | Report this topic

Grote 45  
Years ago

Yes with open arms. Best NBL coach without a doubt regardless of the rhetoric.

Reply #169873 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard the same from someone in Sydney who's close to the Kings.

Would've been rough for the many 36ers fans who have few greater enemies in their lives!

Could've been interesting. Generally recognised as the best coach in the league, but I don't know how much fun it would be to be watching 85-75 type scorelines, even if it resulted in wins.

Would've been worth it just to see how Boti coped!

Reply #169874 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I could tolerate it especially since he always produces results. I always wondered if our team would ask him considering he's normally an enemy.

Reply #169877 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

In this day and age where professional sport is now more of a product would fans be happy with winning at the sacrifice of entertainment?

In the short term I would think yes. But in the long term I couldnt see the crowds improving. You just have to look at Sydney for a perfect example. A hat trick of championships and still right up there the last three years and the crowds are no better than than were 8 years ago.

Love Phil or hate him. You cant deny that when the Sixers are firing it is very entertaining Basketball to watch.

Reply #169880 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Thank f##k for that!

Has Cricket Australia approached Harbajhan Singh to replenish our spin stocks?

That is like barracking for Warren Tredrea if you are a crows fan.

Next thing you know Bill Laimbeer will be coaching the Chicago Bulls.

Reply #169884 | Report this post

Years ago

High scoring, free flowing games attract crowds so the crowds after a short while would start to drop off.

Reply #169885 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Who ya gonna call ? CROWDBUSTER ,dd diel nil diel nil and so on .

Reply #169887 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Damn....I never thought to ask him that when I saw him in Sydney last week.

I did ask the obvious one, which was whether the Dragons had approached him or not (they hadn't).

Strange, I never really contemplated the 6ers talking to him. Guess it's reasonable that you'd at least talk to the best coach in the league.

Reply #169890 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

ahhh, what a very interesting time it would be though,

Imagine the "knowledgeable" Adelaide fans watching their team playing defensive, ugly, mechanical games...BUT WINNING.

IMO would be very interesting to see the crowds, success brings support, the die hards may struggle, but...the fly in, fly out fans wouldnt care they just want to win.

KG and Cornsey wouldnt care, they would hype him and the results up. In the end, a successful team playing infront of a big crowd every week makes sense.

but oh god NOOO, all we would need then is to drop Heal into the starting 5 and.... oh too ugly to consider.

Reply #169892 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I have a small question in realtion to this topic.

Does Goorj's contract with the Kings expire at this season's end or are opposition trying to lure him away?

Reply #169896 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Dicko..

Can you believe the Dragons wouldnt approach Goorj? One of two things going on there...

1) Dragons are very foolish
2) Goorj is lying

If you were the dragons..youd be crazy not to speak to him.

Reply #169897 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Maybe the Dragons have their man?

Strangely, the Adelaide crowd may be the only crowd that would tolerate and turn up in numbers to see the Goorj brand of basketball.

Keep working on Stacker EddieMal.

Reply #169901 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Dicko..

Can you believe the Dragons wouldnt approach Goorj? One of two things going on there...

1) Dragons are very foolish
2) Goorj is lying

If you were the dragons..youd be crazy not to speak to him.

Or option 3....They haven't done it YET.

And Goorjian, from what I remember, still has 2 years left on his contract.

As for who goes where. My picks are....

Dragons - Stacker (Dorge as assistant)
Sixers - Bevo or Ninnis.

Reply #169903 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

The arguement that Sydney plays boring basketball is simply a myth that has grown legs. A myth perpetuated by a certain journalist. In fact by my calculations Sydney are currently averaging 102.4 points per game compared to Adelaide's 101.5!
Goorjian would have been the best thing to have happened to the Sixers and to basketball in this state. The fact is his teams play the game fundamentally correct and for the purist it is pleasing to watch and I do believe entertaining for the average punter.

Reply #169908 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

He is the guy you love to hate when he is coaching the opposition but you have to admire his results and the team he has put together and the way he has team rules and roles and develops expectations of players.
Plus he is an absolute basketball fanatic. Having said that i have a feeling that Adelaide is not on his agenda.

Reply #169911 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Sorry Izzy but game fundamentals does not equal hip'n'shoulder the cutter. I hate the way the kings play ball, and they were shown up here, when the refs dare to call the fouls they cant play. You obviously dont have fox they have been shocking this year.

Reply #169913 | Report this post

Flinders 89  
Years ago

You obviously dont have fox they have been shocking this year.

Wish my team was shocking ... if it meant we were on top of the ladder.

Reply #169915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've seen a few suggest that Goorjian might look to coach abroad after Beijing.

Reply #169918 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Gooj would never work for Eddie FULL STOP.

Reply #169919 | Report this post

Its a tough one.

Every team he has coached has been to the top of the NBL ladder; however evry team he coaches suffers from crowd fade and then seems to fold (kings are the exception...at this stage)

I think it was a step in the right direction for the 6ers to ask the best coach in the NBL, Im just glad he said no!

Reply #169921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian signed a 5 year contract after the Kings 2nd championship, so this current season is # 4 of 5. Maybe in reality it's 4yrs guaranteed + 1yr option or something, or maybe he's got an out clause to coach overseas and the whispers of him looking to exercise that clause have a few NBL clubs taking a shot. There certainly are stories going around though, so there must be some truth to them, but most of them are related to him only leaving the Kings for an overseas offer. Honestly, especially if the Kings win it all this year, I don't know why he'd just go over to another NBL club and start it all over again. If the guy has any ambition and motivation - and I think it's pretty obvious that he has both in spades - his next move after the Kings will be outside Australia.

As for the 36ers, I think the only thing standing between them and a return to great off court success is a return to being a lock Top 4 contender. I think it's that simple. If you think the Kings style of play has any effect on Kings crowds, and is anywhere higher than about 20th (at best) on the long list of reasons why Kings crowds have been in steady decline for a decade now, then frankly, you're a moron.

Reply #169928 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

But if Goorj goes overseas, how is he going to fit all of Smith, Worthington, Hinder, Kendall and BJ Carter on his team as imports?

Reply #169929 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Agreed Anonymous. Their so called 'style' is irrelevant and purely a baseless association that Boti has made with crowd numbers.

Reply #169933 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Bluey, 'hip'n'shoulder the cutter' as you put it is most certainly a fundamental. Generally it's called 'bumping the cutter', you just don't see the Sixers do it.

Reply #169935 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The only good news about the approach is at least they sound serious about getting a replacement and approaching them now.
Would have found hard to support Goorg.
However there are others with lot less talent in their team getting greater return from that talent.
Sorry those that obvious are scottys friend but must go outside the state and poss. o seas to get real fresh ideas and immediate impact is my humble views

Reply #169944 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Is today April 1st????????????????

Reply #169951 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Izzy, re your first post, I disagree that Goorj's 'style' is not still in many ways as ugly as it ever was when at the Magic. True, they now play a more up-tempo game and live and die by the high-scoring 3-point fest basketball.

However, they still scrag the opponent every oportunity they can and play Goorj's traditional tough-but-dirty style basketball. Some call that great basketball, particularly if you can get away with it, and in this league you clearly can. I can see that it is effective, but while it certainly has the effect of putting other teams off their game, I don't consider it to be good defence at all, and it does lower the level of the competition.

Reply #169956 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Sorry Izzy but fouling is not a fundamental of the game. I am not talking about screens I am talking bumping the cutter off their line. I hear people say they play a very European game, but the Euroleague games I have seen (and I am seeing more and more, because I am hooked on their basketball) they are a hell of a lot cleaner than the kings are.

Yes they can light it up on the offensive end and that is great, but I watch basketball at both ends, and yes they are winning and I would love my team to win as often as them, but they just don't excite me.

Reply #170005 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

As much as i don't like him...it would be good to see Goorj coach Adelaide (aslong as he doesn't make them boring to see win like the Kings)

Reply #170022 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i think i just threw-up in my mouth. He is like the Antichrist, he is a great coach but take a deep breath could you really support him after all the crap he has copped from the magic days through etc. If would be very hard for me personally.

Reply #170025 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I would immediatley change my spots! Always loved you Brian!

Reply #170123 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

i think i just threw-up in my mouth.

but take a deep breath

At the same time?

Reply #170127 | Report this post

Years ago

Enough is enough! This whole thread is based on something that did not happen!

Reply #170139 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Incorrect, I think joshuapending REALLY did throw up in his mouth....

Reply #170159 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sorry Phil

Reply #170161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754