Sturty6ers
Years ago

Kidd to Dallas

In my morning troll for information, I came across this.....

The New Jersey Nets are in serious negotiations with the Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers about a blockbuster three-way trade that would send Jason Kidd to the Mavericks, league sources said Wednesday afternoon.

In the proposed trade, Dallas and Portland would send the Nets a package that includes the Mavs' Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse and Blazers forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye and guard Jarrett Jack. Mavericks point guard Devin Harris would be sent to Portland. Along with Kidd, the Nets would send reserve forward Malik Allen and center Jamaal Magloire to Dallas.

The Nets would also receive at least one future No. 1 pick and cash. It's expected that New Jersey would work a buyout with Stackhouse and allow him to be a free agent. Other players could be included to balance the exchange of contracts.

The Record (N.J.) first reported Wednesday morning that the three teams were in discussions.

League sources say that Nets president Rod Thorn has been working the phones relentlessly since Kidd went public on Monday with his trade request. Thorn seems determined to get a deal done soon and may be looking to completely remake the Nets. He also has been dangling guard Vince Carter.

Kidd, 34, is making $19.7 million this season, and has one year left in on his contract at $21.4 million. Kidd The addition of Kidd could make the Mavericks sudden favorites in the West, where they have had two straight heart-breaking playoff runs and currently have the third-best record in the conference.

Topic #14441 | Report this topic

James W  
Years ago

I knew it!

As soon as I heard these rumours, I said "Dallas have a screw loose if they even think about trading Devin Harris"...and Stackhouse too? what are they thinking...

Devin Harris has a big future ahead of him if he keeps at it, Stackhouse is invaluable off the bench (and has even started some games this year), and all for what? a 13 year veteran with a limited lifespan left?

Although on paper Dallas are a bit lacking at the point, they are doing well this year (on track for 55+ wins) and haven't seemed to have any trouble getting the ball to Dirk, Howard or Stackhouse.

Reply #170061 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

A silly move from the Mavs. Harris is young with potential and a bright future. Stackhouse is good off the bench.

Thanks for the news and update on Kidd's trade request.

Reply #170063 | Report this post

Kidds a top 3 PG in the league. Devin Harris will be ok i guess for a while. Might as well go for it while Dirks in his prime. Kidds still got probably 3 good years left in him.

But i dont see how they get Kidd for only Harris and Stackhouse?

Reply #170070 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

"The Nets would also receive ... cash. It's expected that New Jersey would work a buyout with Stackhouse..."

This is code for "we'll add this guy so the salaries match, then you cut him and we'll re-sign him." The cash is to cover the buy-out figure. Under the byzantine NBA salary cap rules, this will also effectively reduce Dallas' salary cap figure for Stackhouse to whatever his new contract is, and the difference between his old and new contracts will count against New Jersey's cap.

Reply #170080 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Great deal for Portland if it comes off. They get the most talented young player, by giving up 3 young guys who never looked like being any more than average NBA players.

Good deals for the Nets and Mavs.

Nets get young players, cap relief and a pick.

Mavs get Kidd, without giving up Howard. They also strengthen their bench a bit.

Do you have a link to the rumour?

Reply #170087 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

elg hits the nail... get Kidd whilst he's still averaging a near TRIP-LE DOUB-LESSS..

Harris may never get any better than he is now, in which he's only an average point guard and does tend to be injured a fair amount. He's got potential, but so did Tim Thomas and so does Charlie V.

Dallas should be in a win now phase, especially after last seasons melt down and the D-Wade screwing the year before.

Dirk is in his prime, JoHo is getting to his prime. Remember they have Jet sitting behind Kidd.

Do it Cuban...... Not often you'll get an all-star and potenital Hall of Famer without giving one up.

Reply #170100 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Devin Harris goes to portland right?

Reply #170173 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

yep, Harris to Portland

Reply #170175 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

whoa.... channing frye average? fairly sure he will be more than that... dallas will become powerhouse more so than they are if trade goes through. nets will become closer to a better team, only need a couple young big guys to set them up for future. portland are already set, and with harris in the mix will only mean good things. nobody really loses out in this deal.

Reply #170182 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I reckon my blazers lose out in this one. We give up 3 good players for only one good player in return (is Harris going to be better than Jack?)

Reply #170189 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Frye, Outlaw and Jack for Harris? If Portland do that, they're nuts.

Reply #170192 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The rumour quoted at the start could still be a possibility. The Nets, Blazers & Mavs are in very strong talks about a trade for Jason Kidd.

Reply #170266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting article - especially take note of the numbers part after the intro waffle. Definitely makes an argument for Dallas keeping Harris.

Reply #170280 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

But what would those numbers look like if Harris was playing for NJN and Kidd for Dallas?

Reply #170283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754