Anonymous
Years ago

Should Voldemort to Stay?

If we can keep Balls, Hodge, Davidson and Ng for next year, should he stay on as coach?????

Topic #14482 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

No.

Reply #170603 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Not gonna happen.

Reply #170607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO,

Has he signed for the Dragons?

Reply #170608 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

How many players will stay if Phil leaves? Thats the bigger question.

Reply #170611 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

We need a change.

Same players > Same Coach = Same result (9th)

Rumours about Phil getting the gig at South could get us to bring back Ingles and holmes (Maybe Hill). I spoke to Jacob Holmes after the second south v adelaide game earlier on in the season and he said he wasnt too happy about Heal's coaching and leadershipness.

Personally I would be supremely happy if Jingles came back to adelaide and would buy an Ingles guernsey :)

Reply #170612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO, you sound so sure? I spoke to someone with extremly strong contacts to 6ers ownership today and Phil is still a strong chance to hang around for a bit longer, so i dont know where you are getting information from.

Reply #170613 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I reckon there will be no Ballinger, Hodge and possibly Maher (depends on the replacement coach)if the present coaching panel is changed.

Reply #170614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same players > Same Coach = Same result (9th)

Do you really think that next season if we sent out the same roster we have now we would only finish 9th???

I for one don't think so.

Reply #170617 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

So we should keep Phil just because we lucked into the best import duo in the league? That's utter bullshit. The guy brings sweet FA in the way of results the last few years, and has shown so many coaching deficiencies it isn't funny, yet people are actually in favour of bringing him back? I can't believe what I'm hearing.

Don't let the fact that Hodge is too good for this league (which, lets be honest, he is) sway your thoughts on Phil.

Reply #170621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It sounds like you are saying that you are giving no credit to Phil for recruiting a player that, in your own words too good for this league!!!!!

Are you serious?? Phil recruits an NBA standard player who can play in two or three positions for us and this is a bad thing?

Yes, he maybe should have pulled the pin on Mike earlier but that is, IMO, why a quality player like Hodge wants to play form him. He respects the player he has.

Reply #170626 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

He credits his team-mates, coach and environment for bringing out the best in his game.

"My team-mates were getting me the ball in the right places," he said of his 39-point game.

"I was doing a better job of finishing too and was more assertive on offence."

In Hodge's last point of call - Italy - his coach was telling him to pass.

From Advertiser:
Adelaide coach P*** S**** gives his players the green light.

"I love Phil's coaching," Hodge said. "After playing for Phil, you have the feeling you don't want to play for anyone else."

That is a huge accolade for the 36ers' three-time championship coach. It is especially big from someone who has played under Herb Sendek (NC State), George Karl (Denver) and Larry Krystkowiak (Milwaukee).

"Phil does a good job of staying positive," Hodge said. "Phil knows when to give you freedom and when to be stern.

"I want to get back to the NBA but if that doesn't work out, I'd want to play for Phil."

Reply #170629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Dana.

Reply #170633 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

FFS, did I say that it was a bad thing in getting Hodge? I, like all 36ers fans, love the guy and would give anything to see him stay. But I'm not willing to forget all the negatives about Phil just because he gets a great player.

Do you all forget the sitting on is arse while a 15 point lead turns into a 10 deficit, then calling time? Do you all forget him keeping players out on the court when they are in foul trouble, leading to greater foul trouble? The many times that we have lost close games because he just lets them play and doesn't use a timeout? What about the defence? Or his lack of abilty to develop, or all the excuses he rolls out?

And lets not forget the Ingles debacle. According to Phil, Nash and Masjtrovich were more deserving of a spot in the 10 than Joe. That was a great call, wasn't it?

And yes Dana, we all read the article, very nice.

It's just great to see all you fans of this team are willing to put up with mediocrity.

Reply #170636 | Report this post

Years ago

twenty four, out of interest, whats the highest you have ever played and/or coached?

Reply #170639 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What would answering that question acheive 22?

Reply #170640 | Report this post

Anon#170626  
Years ago

Agree with a lot of what you have to say but I still think that Phil is the best option out there by some distance.

Stacker & Co just don't compare.

Maybe Phil should have shown more patience with Joe and has been proved wrong not too, but, is there a coach out there who has not got it wrong at some time or another?

Reply #170642 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, we've had 2 great wins in a row and everyone loves him again. Talk about a short memory, have you forgotten that prior to these 2 wins we had 4 straight losses including a club record 48 points to Brisbane and a 19 points pantsing on our home court against Perth? How about the last 3 or 4 seasons where we've been completely impotent and haven't looked like making any finals noise (or even making the finals)? I think Phil's time has come, it's great we've had a few memorable wins towards the end of this season but for mine it's too little too late.

Reply #170643 | Report this post

hmmm  
Years ago

Well said Billo.

Reply #170644 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

I think he has done enough to be given another two year contract. Yes he stuck with Chappel for too long but has recruited well this year along with Mel. Last season really can not be counted, the franchise went bankrupt, a team was recruited in that environment and then sold.

This year we recruited well by signing Newley (popular choice for many including me) and Chappel (which did not work out). Recruited well to replace both players when required. Mottram is not a Newley but brings good qualities to the team and Hodge is a vast improvement on Chappel (understatement there!!))

He has played development players particularly in the latter part of the season. This may be a result of criticism or simply a process of normal development. I do think that the coach can adapt and believe I have seen some movement towards this in the last few games.

I will be happy to renew my season tickets next year based on what I have seen in the last few games (since Hodge was recruited). The basketball has been entertaining and the team has shown some spirit.

My two cents worth.

Reply #170645 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Unfortunately new coach {if it happens}
usually means new imports.

Reply #170648 | Report this post

Anon#170626  
Years ago

I really want to see Phil and his list (yes, his list) return to the Sixers next year.

I truly believe that he will bring another championship to Adelaide next year or the one after.

Reply #170650 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Replace Mel with Mal in my above post. (Yeah its late)

Reply #170651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Program stale - obviously needs change.

Dont let big win (like Syd) fool u.

Too many problems that cant be fixed with him here.

The fact that the future of our club are playing elsewhere (and would be 1 point players if they were here) is reason enough to give him the arse.

The fact is, despite the fact that they have beaten syd and bris at home, they will still end up out of 8 two years in a row and after ten years....

well join the dots.

Reply #170655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guarantee you Joe will not be here next year! end of story. regardless of who's coaching and playing. Joe will be a dragon. end of story!

Reply #170658 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

should of seen this coming... no, he shouldn't be retained... too many past issues which can't be ignored simply because of a couple of great wins.

Reply #170660 | Report this post

Help Mal  
Years ago

I will not renew my membership if we have the same coaching team next year and talking to lots of long time members that sit around me they are thinking of doing the same thing if the coaching team stays.

They have gone stale the club and coaching team.

Phil has been lucky finding Hodge still remember he was the second pick and after keeping chappel for about 7 weeks to long. There is no chance at keeping hodge at the end of the season he will go back to the NBA or Europe (Not enough money in Australia). It has been great seeing him play but he was a fill in player.

All the people that want phil to stay you must of not been at the games before christmas.

Reply #170662 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Phil has actually setup a good team for the next few years.

He recruited the best import duo in the NBL and we don't want to give that up. Does the disadvantages of having Phil out way the benefits of have Hodge and Ballinger (who has scored unbelievable numbers).

Adelaide has now beaten Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane and the Breakers who are in the top 8.

It's quite a frustrating situation we are in now....
Screwed if we do, screwed if we don't.

Reply #170663 | Report this post

Locals  
Years ago

123abc. Imports are always short term prospects. We need local talent from SA or young Australian talent EG: Adam Gibson.

Reply #170667 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

"Help Mal", Alzheimers is a debilitating disease but can have its advantages especially for a basketball fan. My short term memory allows me to be esctatic with the three wins and the honourable loss over sides above us in recent times. My medium term memory is filled with the spectre of close losses and occasional dismal displays. However my long term memory allows me to savour the three championship years engineered by the best two attacking coaches in the league. Through the entire journey I have enjoyed watching basketball played within the rules and in the spirit of the game. I would not trade any of the games played the past two years for one year of a team playing to the Goorgian method.

If you go to games looking for the negative that is all you will see.

Who do you think would make a better coach for the 36ers?

Reply #170668 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"A poor tradesman always blames his tools". This saying has never been so incorrect as it is with the 36ers and their coach. Phil has shown that given the right tools (players), he knows what to do with them. Was that not the case in the championship winning years? Is that not the case with the current regning champions? Is that not the case with any team winning a championship? Its been very easy to get on the "Sack Phil S" band wagon but look at the team in the last 2 seasons until Hodge came on board. The best 2 wins this season has been since Hodge joined the team and a major part of the season has been with players off due to injury (Maher in particular). Where do you blame the coach for that. I think the last 2 years has seen Phil as a scapegoat for the poor performance of the team.

Reply #170669 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Defintly Keep Phil.

All i can say.

Reply #170670 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

i also wouldnt mind keeping Phil if it means we keep Hodge and Ballinger, i think this team would be in the play offs next season with the same roster, and we are more than 50% wins since Hodge joining and Maher has barely played, so with Maher back and Ng continuing our form i think we have a good team to build on for the next season, and Phil is actually playing Dodman a bit and even a little bit of Burdon so he is playing the young guys a little, and Ng and Hodge are not over 25 and both have been playing major minutes recently.
Also i would take Phil over Stacker any day of the week, and the other options ie a Ninnis, may not be bad but are un proven and would probably result in a major roster change again, which i dont think is neccisary now, just tweak it a bit look to try and add a Holmes, or Schenscher or get a import when Ballinger is a Aussie (or both if possible) and i think we have a decent top 4-6

Reply #170671 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Years ago

I think phill is a great coach that has had some major injuries to key players this year. If phill continues to be commited to the team and club as he has shown in the past few weeks we would not get a better coach. If key players are dependant on him staying I say let him stay surely they would know a good coach from a dud??

Reply #170672 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

do you all seriously think ballinger and hodge would leave because Phil wasnt the coach. Wake up you fools its utter bulls*it, ballinger and hodge would only leave if they were offered more money, or opportunities to play in bigger leagues with bigger money thrown at them.

If you want to retain the imports, piss Phil off and throw that money at the imports!

Stop this Bullsh*t properganda and fear campaign if Phil goes the imports go! What bullsh*T! In reference to hodge comments phil: he would say it about all of his coaches, typically american bullshit talk there, no fool is gonna bag there coach, especially the one who is providing him and his young family with some income!
Piss Phil off and lets get a new coach!

Reply #170673 | Report this post

Years ago

I think ballinger, hodge and even brad would leave if Phil was no longer coach. Phil's style is up tempo, ballinger and hodge wouldn't want to stick around and play for a coach that employs a low scoring type tempo game.

Reply #170677 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I agreee Drb, but coaches salary doesn't count towards the cap. Getting a $200,000 or a $2 coach won't make any diffrence to giving players more money.

I understand Hodge's comment about Coach. Any coach after George Karl would seem great, espically a coach the tends to coach with a long leash.

Reply #170678 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's not Coach's style which people have concerns with. He's great in an open, up tempo game where he doesn't have to make strategic moves, give the team directions or change his game plan. Last night was pure run and gun without Brisbane making a decent run in the second half. It could of been mayhem in the last quarter if it was much more tighter.

Reply #170680 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Drb, throw all your money at good imports and what do you have for a coach? Ask my daughter to do it, she has coached under 10 boys and she'll do it for a lot less. How stupid does that sound? No where near as stupid as to think you will get another better coach when you don't offer the proper remuneration.

Reply #170681 | Report this post

Years ago

Fact: Ballinger will be signed before any decision is made on the coaching situation, so the whole Ballinger to leave if Phil is not coaching is crap!
Cannot believe what I'm reading, change is desperately needed.
On the back of 2 good games, we should forget the last 5 years? Hell I thought I'd woken up to April Fools Day!

Reply #170682 | Report this post

Help Mal  
Years ago

Bake I cant beleive your comment you are saying we should keep phil because he has won us some championships in the past that is not sensible in that case we will have him until he dies or even if he dies we can wheel him out weekend at bernie style(not sure if anyone would notice).

Hodge has bought a bit of heart into the side something our coach couldnt do.

Reply #170690 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Honourable loss... what a bunch a BS.... There is no such thing as an honourable loss.

As Vince Lombardi once said:

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser"

Reply #170701 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

EC hit the nail on the head. Yes Phil has made some bad coaching moves, but Ballinger has had his best season of his career, Davidson has had his best season of his career and Darren Ng has had his best season of his career.
Because of Phil's coaching, Hodge has gelled in like he has been here for years, he is enjoying basketball and playing awesome.

Look at nblstats.com, in the Hot, 3 players are from the Sixers. Next year, with a similar team can do alot better.

Sure, i thought his time was up, but this Hodge signing has changed everything. Sixers have beaten 3 of the top 8 teams without Maher. They have only beaten 4 teams in the top 8 this season.

Phil has a team that only needs a bit of tweaking in the SF and backup PF positions and Adelaide could be top 6.

If he was a bad coach, we wouldn't have the team playing like they are now.

I don't believe we can make the finals this year, but with Hodge and Phil, we have a far better chance.

Reply #170704 | Report this post

Chopper  
Years ago

Well said "HELP MAL" above.

My friends and I vowed last year to stop going to sixers games until P S is replaced.

Is there some sort of petition we can start to have him removed?

Reply #170714 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol I cant believe you guys! We get a few good wins at the end of the season when it is too little too late and you all want to retain him now. I believe this team at the start of the season was a top 6 team and should have been around the mark all season long but due to his coaching the team was always bordering on mediocre.

In fact the reason we will miss out on the playoff's is because he kept on to chappell for too long because he is a "nice guy" and isn't man enough to obviously make a real business decision. Now that the season is basically over he decides to give Dodman a run and what a revelation that has been as he has brought energy and motivation into the team which was needed ages ago when the coach would rather have him anchored to the bench.

People please remember that this is the SAME team that in recent times got spanked at home to the Wildcats, lost to the Hawks, also got spanked to a FULL Brisbane team and a coaching decision that probably cost us the game against the Tigers. Yet you guys want to sign him up for another few seasons because of 3 decent wins after blatant mistakes week in week out for 3 quarters of the season that is unbelievable!

I'm glad Dicko has assured us that he won't be here next year. The players in the team are professional athletes and will most likely continue to play here next year whether the current coach is here or not. If they go because he goes which I doubt it wont matter as other players will be more likely to come back to play here if the current coach is gone e.g. Ingles.

Remember last year we beat Melbourne IN Melbourne so from you guys analogy of a few good wins, it would seem like we would have gone on to win the Championship this year. That is fantasy time to face reality and look at the bigger picture.

Reply #170721 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

He has to go still. We need a new voice, new direction. We need change. Sure we've had some good wins against top opposition teams such as the Kings & Bullets last night. But we need to make the playoffs clearly, rather than scrape like now.

We have some players we need to lock up. But I want some change.

I'm relectant to re-new my season tickets for next season. I want to be satisfied with changes first. I want to watch playoff basketball featuring the 36ers please.

Reply #170737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Hodge cannot make it back into the NBA, then I am not sure if Europe is a significant threat - a lot of players don't exactly love it over there. Bigger threat may be Hodge doing a year in the D-League to try and get back into the NBA - surely his numbers are good enough that they'd consider him? Triple double against one of the better teams in the league.

Reply #170769 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

As good as Ballinger and Hodge are i still think that we should take the risk of them leaving and move on with a new coach.

It really bugs me when star players try to dictate the management of a club. I think with a new coach it can bring fresh and new ideas to the club and to basketball in South Australia.

Reply #170771 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

123abc: I'd actually say 03/04 was his best, but this is close, and a career high in pts certainly is good. See NBLStats.com

Reply #170790 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Un-#%^*&(**- believable!!!!

Reply #170808 | Report this post

Axe Smite  
Years ago

Singapore beat the Bullets too Dana, put it into perspective for you?

Reply #170907 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

If he goes, you're all gonna be whinging about his replacement anyway.
What sad lives many of you must lead.

Reply #170918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dana now you're really stooping. that's utter conjecture. why would you lower yourself to that?

Reply #170933 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

You could be right 170933 "utter conjecture" is something that is rife around here. I slipped up and joined in. Sorry about that lapse.

Reply #170961 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Dana, utter conjecture seems to be the only thing you fans of Coach have left. 'Some players might leave'. 'Phil should be given another shot to see what he can do'. And lots of 'I reckon' being thrown around too.

Why exactly (from a purely coaching standpoint) should Phil stay and be given an extra shot?

Reply #170965 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I'm not in a position to answer from a 'coaching standpoint'.

Reply #170966 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Then again, I did coach an Adelaide Uni 'C' grade mens team at Hillcrest a couple of decades ago, so I guess that means I'm as qualified as many others. ;)

Reply #170968 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Dana, I don't need to be qualified in Economics to vote for a political party. I vote, it counts and whether rightly or wrongly it is based on my opinion. Same deal here and my 'vote' will be whether I renew my seasons ticket. No new coach - one less bum on seat.

Reply #170970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #170971 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Promises promises....

Reply #170972 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Phil still has my vote for what it's worth

Reply #170974 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KingJames, if you want to be convincing, tell the whole story. Off course we have had some good wins in recent weeks, we have had an import replacement. If you want to blame Phil for the time spent in replacing Chappell, then you have every right to, but surely you can see that it was a roster problem rather than a coach problems as to the poor start to this season. You could learn something by taking some pages out of 123abc's book. He/she hit the nail on the head also by pointing out all the positives have have occurred under this present coach. Those positives apply regardless of how many games have been lost. They are also positives that are a direct result of coaching skill. On top of that you have the games won to higher ranking teams. I would say the good outweighs the bad.

A top 6 team next season only requires the replacement of 2 or 3 current players.

Reply #170984 | Report this post

ostrich 28  
Years ago

almost every team has replaced imports. they all did it much quicker than us.

Reply #170986 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Dana, EC, 123ABC and any of you others saying Phil needs to be given more time as he's now turned the team around with the new import signing, I'd like to remind you that in Hodge's 10 games we've actually only won 4 and lost 6, including 48 points to Brissie and a humiliating thrashing by Perth in our house.

Imagine 5 years ago if we started a season with a 4 and 6 record, everyone would be seeing it as s failure, but after the last 3 years of terrible performances your expectations have been been lowered so much that you're happy with 4 and 6. This is the fundamental problem, for a proud club like ours it's not enough to have the occasional win against a top team mixed in with frequent losses to average and poor teams, we need to be competing for titles and not scraping into 8th only to be bundled out after 1 match.

Enough is enough, time for a change.

Reply #170990 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

billo, I think its that people can see the light since Julius arrived. We've had a very rough schedule and done pretty well without Maher and a new player working our system against some tough opponents. (big wins obviously vs Sydney, Brisbane, Cairs...narrow loss to Melbourne etc)

Starting the season fresh with this mob (hopefully a deeper bench) after a good stretch of games and some more NBL experience for Hodge should give us one of the stronger and most exciting teams next season.

Reply #170993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show me a player who blames the coach and not himself. I have been upstairs after the games that we have lost (I'm not one of those who only goes up there when we win.) If you listen to the players, they hold themselves responsible for some of it too you know.
How many times have the players themselves accepted some responsibility for 'not executing the plays the coach set out' or missing foul shots, or missing too many 3 pointers, or making too many turnovers, or not picking up their defensive assignments, or being out rebounded, or getting a tech foul at a crucial time of the game. I'm sure that many of the team would be thinking along the lines of "If I had done this properly.....
Ask a player what he thinks and I'll guarantee he won't lay blame purely on the coach.
There is more than one reason why a team wins or loses a game. One bad pass, one missed shot, one bad decision....they all add up. And it isn't just the coach who makes these mistakes.
Wake Up!
It's a team and they will all feel like shit as it is. They will tell you that one of the best things he does is not smack them while they're already down.
All my opinion, but maybe, just maybe there might be a little more in it than blaming the coach.
Dana

Reply #170994 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Wake up..... No professional player in his right mind is going to slag off their coach in a public forum.

This ain't the NBA where you can get traded to another team if he don't like the team or piss the front office off. You piss the coach off enough you'll be sacked and then lining up at Centerlink looking for a dole check. The NBL is too small for a player to earn a bad reputation and continue to be a sought after player.

There was talk that if 'coach' took over the Dragons next year then players are walking away, that says a lot to me where the bottom team in the league with arguably the worst coach in the league before getting sacked doesn't want anything to do with our coach.

Reply #170999 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Phil is not being considered to coach next season.

Time's up....end of story.

Mind you.....good manners would suggest that maybe someone should work up the guts to tell Phil "officially" of this decision.

I like what the Dragons did.....done and dusted, now we can publicly look for a replacement.

Reply #171000 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

dana, of course that is true. you will remember a lot of posts about dench for example. but look at the common elements from recent years. one is the coaches, the other is brett. forget the excuses about having a tough year last seaosn. hawks and pigs have given a lot of effort despite barely even staying in business. this team shouldnt have missed the playoffs even with injuries which all teams have had. shouldnt have held chappell so long. the wins against sydney, brisbane, cairns, west sydney etc show that there is so much potential. we should be defending our home court every game and knocking down the bottom 6 on the road. not losing to the hawks who have 1 import and no tait. that hurt.

once upon a time a previous coach was let go and new blood brought in. at the time i'm sre there were people desperate to keep the existing coach too.

Reply #171003 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

i just dont know if changing coaches is the right way of going about it...it seems we have a solid group now, every team goes through this phase and just when its starting to look up you get rid of the coach, when your best players say thats who they want to play for next season? you forgot to mention that TR when you mentioned what the dragons said, what does that say?

I just think people are pointing as many fingers as they can because we missed the playoffs but when you look at our roster for the majority of the season, it is dismal, compared to other teams in the league who have role players constantly stepping up and getting valuable minutes and points off the bench.

Im just saying you get rid of Smyth, who comes back? Hodge and Ballinger leave, Maher might hang up the boots if thats the case and then where do you start? Where do you build from there? We could have something special next year if this group stays together and we add a few role players to the mix.

Reply #171007 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dana, I doubt anyone would disagree with you. It is clearly not JUST a coaching problem. Part of it is a personnel problem, part of it is just luck, or poor refereeing, or scheduling issues, or injuries or whatever.

But clearly some people here wish the Sixers to re-establish the winning culture of the team. The culture that saw the Sixers go deep into the finals nearly every year. Where coaches like Dave Claxton and Don Shipway were shown the door for not making the finals (once). This is the first time since 1983 that we have missed the finals TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

More importantly, something needs to be done to arrest the slow decline of this great club, clearly one of the most fundamentally strong and successful clubs in the NBL. Over the past 11 years we have done as follows:

1998 19W-11L CHAMPIONS
98/99 18W-8L CHAMPIONS
99/00 22W-6L lost semi final
00/01 16W-12L lost semi final
01/02 17W-13L CHAMPIONS
---
02/03 16W-14L lost elimination final
03/04 14W-19L lost elimination final
04/05 19W-13L lost qualifying final
05/06 19W-13L lost qualifying final
06/07 11W-22L did not qualify (11th in a 12 team comp)
07/08 12W-16L did not qualify (with 2 games to play)

Sure, they have been trying years. But a certain person has had the reigns all of that time and has been complicit in the decline, if only just because he was there. In all of those seasons above the line we were competitive and stayed towards the top of the table. All of those finals appearances below the line were 'one & done' appearances, after mediocre seasons.

The purpose of competition is surely to try and acheive the ultimate you can in that competition. It requires you to seek to improve all the time in all aspects of the game, including personnel. That is why we want Hodge instead of Chappell. There is NOBODY who would still try and argue that Chappell's mediocrity was good enough for this team.

The coaching staff must also come under similar scrutiny. I like the characteristic open playing style of the last ten years. I like the coach, who I admire and respect deeply as a legend of this sport and club. But, in sport you don't just keep doing the same things over and over and hope for a better outcome. We have tried over the past years to improve the roster, with moderate success but no improvement in results. Now is time to change from the top down.

Here ends rant.

Reply #171010 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I just dont know if getting rid of the coach is the right way of going about it...Every team goes throught this phase and just as we start looking good you want to get rid of the guy that our 2 best players want to play for next season? you didnt mention that TR when you told us what the Dragons players were said, what does that say?

You look at our roster for the majority of the season, it has been dismal. Every other team has role players constantly stepping up and giving valuable minutes and points off the bench, we havent had that. Its our lack of contributers more than anything.

All I'm saying is, you sack coach, who is back next year? Just say Hodge and Ballinger leave, Maher might hang it up if thats the case. What do you build on then? We could have something special if we keep this group together and add a couple of good role players off the bench.

Reply #171012 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

well put XY

the stats from 04 onwards are the signs, and to be honest, as a club we have been a little like the Voldemort-Chappell situation...I was one who had been backing phil for the last 2 years, perhaps we should hae let him go back in 06.

At least now we would be building a new side rather than floating around LOSING and going nowhere.

Again, Thanks Phil, good luck except when it affects the 36ers.

Reply #171032 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Where has the rumour come from that Balls and Hodge only want to play for Phil? Obviously there was that article last week where Hodge said how he loves playing for Phil, but looking at it objectively he's been in town only a few months, the local journo speaks to him and asks about the coach, of course he's going to say positive things, this is hardly evidence that if Phil goes so does Julius.

More to the point there seems to be a lot of comments suggesting Balls is somehow tied with Phil, where has this come from? It there anything more to it than him having a good season personally?

Reply #171037 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There was some indication (just after 'Phil about to fall on sword' comment, and about the time of the important word change to this forum) that Mal had met with Balls,Maher and Davo and it was looking like they would go on and so would Phil.
I think that is where it has come from.
Ballinger is signing with the 36ers (he said yes definately is , on radio.) I do not know who is coaching, Phil told Mal , while they were having a run at the finals , that he wanted wait to see if they got into finals , then discuss next season.
Hodge has said all along that he is going back to the states to try for nba.

Reply #171051 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Jules, find me a quote where Balls or Julius clearly state that they will not play for another coach... If that is their attitude they may as well retire from the game.

Balls has decided to wait and see what happens with the coaching position, but he's publically never said he will walk if 'coach' is gone. He signed for one year (I stand to be corrected on this), what happens if Cairns or Brisbane open their chequebooks up and offer him more than the 36ers. No wait... he won't go because of 'coach'... rubbish..

Hodge stated he likes playing for 'coach' as he lets him do whatever... If I had coaches that let me do whatever then I'd be really happy as well.

Put a $150k (or whatever they are one) cheque in front of both players and I think you'd find that they would work with any coach.

Reply #171053 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What about acknowledging the players that have blossomed under Phil? Dusty Rychart, The Cat, Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks, to name but a few. All players who had not really shone at their previous clubs. It looks like Ballinger is another who thrives with this style of play. Ng is coming along really well too.
jules, I think you expressed some similar thoughts to my own. Is now the right time to get rid of a coach when things are finally looking up? I don't think we can ignore the problems the club has faced over the past few years that have impacted on it all. How is the coach to 'blame' if key players are given the freedom to take up lucrative European offers? (Cat, Newley). The club was under a different boss at the time and so recruiting etc. was a very different kettle of fish. Most companies have three or five year business plans to turn things around. Isn't that what ought to be fair? What if Phil is given one more year? Hey, if things still go down fair enough. But I'd be surprised if they don't improve greatly with the players we have now got with another maybe 2 key recruits.
I was at an event and I spoke to Phil earlier in the season about the negativity of some 'fans' and he jokingly said something about not being sure he would want to stay so maybe some of you might get your wish after all.
For my part, I think it would be a shame if he isn't at the helm next season.

Reply #171057 | Report this post

Locals  
Years ago

TR, I agree.

After all imports bag their coaches publically all the time while they under contract.... IDIOTS.... No import that is out here, mostly to get paid as a professional is going to publicly bag their coach. Especially ones that haven't even been here for 12 mths. If the opinons of Balls and Hodge even come into it then we are in for serious problems. THese guys will go to any team in the world that they can get the most money.

Build and develop your team around local talent and you will build a long term successful program. Valder is just not the man for this anymore. I have absolute respect for him but move on NOW!!!

Reply #171059 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I was just using an extreme hypothetical

To be honest, I don't really mind if Smyth is gone, the change would probably be welcomed but I just don't want it to come at the expense of Hodge and Ballinger which is what I've heard. That's all Im worried about

Also, find me a quote about what the Dragons palyers said (not doubting you, would just like to see one)

Reply #171060 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

F#%$

Honestly, I don't really mind whether 'COACH' is back or not, the change is probably needed. But I just dont want it to come at the expense of Hodge or Ballinger which is what I've read (not taht I fully believe it will happen that way) Thats all Im worried about.

And find me a quote about what the Dragons players said (not doubting it, just would love to see)

Reply #171063 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

dana two of those players came out of the NBA for godsake!! ballinger was already awesome last year at the hawks and ng scored 50 for woodville long before 6ers. ballingers stats are actually slightly worse this year in every column except 2.'maybe one more year' was what lots of people were saying after last season.

Reply #171067 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

And Dusty was a potential star at the Giants, just under-utilised by an idiot coach.

16.5 points and 9 rebounds per game in only 28mpg.

Wright not giving him more court time was one of the greatest travesties of my more recent years of following the game.

Reply #171070 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Just can't bring yourselves to give a single ounce of credit to Phil can you?

Reply #171076 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Not when it's not deserved, Dana.....why should we?

Are you REALLY trying to give him ecredit for those players? That is ridiculous.

Defend him all you want, it's pointless....

He's gone. End of Story.

Reply #171078 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

you stop talking junk ("All players who had not really shone at their previous clubs.") and then we'll talk credit? brooks' "previous club" was in the NBA. lol

Reply #171082 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I understand you worries Jules and I agree that we must retain Balls and Hodge, but if they start making demands which impact the club and the future of the club then that's when I start saying 'goodbye'.

No player is bigger than the club, and they are imports. They can be replaced, but it is nice not having to run the risk of non performing imports and we know what we get with Balls and Julius.

On that, I don't think we'll be see Julius back after this season (I'd mortgage the Dome to keep him). More money to be made in Europe or better competition in the D-League with more potential of a call up than playing in the NBL.

Reply #171084 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

This is so 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. At least in some countries they treat their sporting icons with respect, even well and truly after they are no longer in the game.
If it's all Phil's fault now, then how come so many won't even give him 'the blame' for the 3 championship teams he's coached?

Reply #171090 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Dana,
I love your support of Voldemort and the club, dont ever give it up.

Reply #171094 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dana, I would say he was a tall poppy 6 years ago. It is rather laughable to say that he is now.

Answer this. For how long does he who cannot be named get a free ride from the club because of past glories (which are undoubtedly deserved). 10 years? 20 years? For as long as he who cannot be named chooses? How many poor years do we need to have before you would consider changing coaches? Is whatsisname the next Lindsay Gaze?

The message has gone stale. The Sixers can be out scouted because they are doing the same things they were doing 11 years ago. Sure they can still win when they shoot the rock at 60% from the three point line (unlikely to happen often). Sure it is an exciting brand of basketball when it works, but it is also one of the most dreary and disheartening when it doesn't. I respectfully submit that someone's time can be up without it necessarily being a slap in the face for the person involved. It is just time for a new direction. Simple.

Reply #171102 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Dana,

People have acknowledge that Phil led us to three championships, and whilst I'm a supporter of the 'time to go crew', I will be thankful for his contribution, but I can clearly see the writing on the wall. Coach will continue to get respect as his name will be remembered as a coach that bought 3 championship trophies to Adelaide. Over time people will forget the poor seasons, but they won't forget the 3 ships.

Things move forward, things need to progress for the sake of the franchise. Things have been stale for a while now, and we need a new face and a new direction. Throughout the years, players have come and gone, the coaching staff has remained the same and our record has not improved.

If a sporting legend like Kevin Sheedy can be removed from his position then 'coach' can also be removed.

Reply #171111 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"This is so 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. At least in some countries they treat their sporting icons with respect, even well and truly after they are no longer in the game.
If it's all Phil's fault now, then how come so many won't even give him 'the blame' for the 3 championship teams he's coached?"

Tall Poppies are now short and the flowers are thinning?

Anyways, Dana, there are a few people here that have been overly harsh on HOW Phil should leave, but not many.

Most are saying to treat him with respect and, yes, he does deserve it.

Phil himself, in the past has said that he has a "let them play" attitude which works with SOME players and has certainly had success. The problem is that he is starting to stale and success needs to be earnt now, rather than sitting there waiting for it to happen.

I agree....Treat him with respect. But sorry, he is gone.

HOWEVER, If (and I MEAN IF) he IS the one propogating rumours about Ballinger and Hodges walking out if he leaves and about the Dragons chasing him in an attempt to keep his job, then HE has destroyed that repsect himself, not anyone here.

Reply #171151 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Sorry, but to suggest that he is fuelling these rumours is just so much cr*p.

Reply #171203 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Anyway, he said on CH2 news that he doesn't know that he would even accept the job if it were offered so that should be music to some of your ears.
Congratulations! (Disgraceful)

Reply #171204 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

he gets told tomorrow that they are going with someone else. dana im sure you will support that person unconditionally also.

Reply #171219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754