Anonymous
Years ago

Cheer vs Whinge

Once upon a time, the Adelaide crowd was renowned for being the loudest, most knowledgeable and respected crowds in the country  WHAT HAPPENED???

In all seriousness, would YOU like it if some total strangers came in to YOUR place of employment and started hurling abuse, spitting and making aggressive gestures at you - especially if we didn't fully understand the rules of your job!

I have had enough of these so called supporters who spend more time arguing and yelling at the Referee's that actually supporting their team. Sitting in front of me last night were two groups of fans, those that cheered and those that whinged.

Cheer - A set or traditional form of shout used by spectators to encourage or show enthusiasm for an athletic team.

Whinge - To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

Its odd that in a great win like last night's game I should walk out happy but I was so disappointed with the display by some of the fans. The Referee's have devoted their life to this game, studied it inside and out and have done enough that the NBL think enough of them to pay them to Referee at the top level  what right have you to judge and second guess?

FYI - Advantage/disadvantage principles are applied within the spirit and intent of the rules and the need to uphold the integrity of the game. Consistency in applying the concept of advantage/disadvantage where the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game and which does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place him at a disadvantage.

In my interpretation, a player who is not a part of the offensive play and has a foot within the key for more than 3 seconds is of NO advantage to his team as he is not a part of the play  should that player then obtain the ball and become an asset, the call would be made. Also the 3 second count STOPS when a shot is made and is then reset. I thought they called it consistently (as in against BOTH teams) and I thought they did a good job last night and most games - Well done boys!

Topic #14488 | Report this topic

billups 1  
Years ago

You didnt see the baseline travel that Dusty did when he dished it to Mick Hill for the lay up? come on that was the most obvious call of the night lol.

and you also say "the Adelaide crowd was renowned for being the loudest" maybe you didnt here the roar of the crowd last night? was fairly loud throughout the game especially during our scoring runs and even the chants for defence were nice and loud, considering there was a crowd of 5000.

Reply #170688 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I understand your point of letting the game flow. But a player who may not yet be involved with the BALL can still be part of the offense by staying in the key.

Several reasons, it gives them more oppurtunity to establish better rebounding position.

It forces a defender to guard him in a position that the defender knows within the rules he shouldnt have to stay for longer than 3 seconds.

EVERY player is involved in the offense no matter how poorly it may seem from the stands. Some plays require different things from each player, screens, rebounding, decoys. All of these must be done without staying in the key for 3 seconds.

I'm not saying it's right to hurl abuse at the ref's, but riding them is occasionally warranted and that's what home court is all about.

The whole advantage/disadvantage thing is way to open and inconsistent and personally I'd like to see it called as they (the refs) see it.
Players WILL adjust and the game will flow just as good but their will be less doubt in people's minds ref's included as to what is and isnt acceptable.

Reply #170689 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

well said DJ.... cant really see passionate fans sitting quiet all game not saying BOO to the refs when they get a call wrong!

can u imagine this happening at the footy? not even!
its just the reality of sport and ANON...

Reply #170694 | Report this post

spicey  
Years ago

I agree DJ. Just because a player doesn't have the ball, it doesn't mean that they aren't advantaging their team by planting themselves in the keyway.

Reply #170706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noise is noise, and it usually fires up the home team! I love to hate the refs PERIOD! Part of the entertainment value of going to the NBL is booing refs for no apparent reason. There are times when the 36ers will clearly get a horrible call, and I'm quietly ok with it, simply because you hear how the crowd reacts and the noise, although negative, really works in our favor! An angry 'hard done by' 36er crowd is at its most dangerous!

Reply #170707 | Report this post

Chopper  
Years ago

The "Whinge" comes from fans being disgruntled with the overall product they have paid to see.

The outfits P S has put together and coached over the last few years have lacked ability and even more so "Heart". Which at the end of the day leads to dis-satisfaction and then ultimately the Whinge.

Reply #170716 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

and last night they showed a great deal of passion against a championship contending team who were fighting for a place in the top 2

Reply #170729 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

Anonymous ur a jerk - Muppet!

Stupid thread go back to dreaming!

Reply #170736 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

I think the crowd even kept Phil awake last night, I noticed he even got out of his seat and showed some support for his team. I understand there are different types of coaches, but for me when he starts to question the refs it shows me that he's backing his guys.

Reply #170765 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The crowd were very edgy towards bad calls, especially early in the game because after all, the team was playing the Bullets. It was going to be a difficult enough task to keep up with them let alone having to put up with further hurdles in front of them by way of bad calls. As the game got closer to the end and the 36ers were well on track to win, then the calls became more forgiving. What worried me in the last quarter was the threat of a tech foul when Phil got up and angrily approached one of the refs. I desperately wanted him to sit down and keep quiet because the team was coping well with the calls at that stage regardless of whether they were good or bad and playing brilliantly.

Reply #170839 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Surely a good ref is one that hardly noticable. On Sat night, 1 stood out in particular. Everybody makes a few mistakes, but Bucknor made less than this fella. I loved the spectator who offered his glasses on a few occassions to 'assist' the ref.
Even Boti shook his head at some calls, but let's not overlook the great job the 36ers did on the night.
If everybody cheered every call by the refs there would be no fun at the game.

Reply #170983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 14488 you weren't sitting up the eastern end somewhere near the backboard were you ?
Have you only just noticed this ?
The three second chants everytime someone gets near the key and disputing of every foul called on a 36er (regardless of circumstance) from a `squeeling fan' have been happening for over ten years.
Maybe next time tap the person on the back and explain the rules. :)
Changing seats won't help, I'd be surprised if Phil can't hear it.

Reply #171211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754