Grizz_1
Years ago

Interesting Rosell Ellis Story

Was just looking at Rosell Ellis's profile on Wikipedia and never knew he once attacked a referee.

After his college career, Ellis joined the Des Moines (Iowa) Dragons of the now-defunct International Basketball Association, and became the league's fifth-leading scorer. He attracted scouts to his games but had an incident in January 1998. There were NBA scouts in the stands when Ellis lost his mind and put an IBA referee in a choke hold. According to Ellis, a referee, Bob Schoewe, was berating players as they lined up around the paint for free throws. Ellis snapped back at Schoewe, who denies insulting the players, and in turn gave Ellis a technical foul in retaliation. Ellis protested again and the ref called a second technical and ejected him from the game. Ellis ran to the scorer's table where Schoewe was reporting the ejection, leaped on the referee's back, and put Schoewe in a sleeper hold. A throng of coaches, players, referees, and security officers pulled Ellis away from Schoewe and brought him to the locker room. The IBA banned him for a year for this action. This action was after Latrell Sprewell's choking of his coach, thus Ellis was shunned by NBA scouts. Now, Ellis looks at this incident as one of his big misdeeds.[2

I had no idea he had done this.

Topic #14494 | Report this topic

Kobe  
Years ago

Very weird story. Choke or not, he wouldn't have made the NBA, great player and all, but too under seized for that league.

Reply #170770 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Thanks for the story. He is a talented player and one I like watching, but unfortunately not good enough for NBA or too small for NBA level.

Reply #170868 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

How odd but today I read the exact same thing in an edition of 'the basketballer' magazine from last season (I think round 6's edition)

Reply #170955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754