Jude Lamb
Years ago

Funny Ben Hodges Retires!

Ben Hodges has retired!

One of the stalwarts of the ABL has hung up the boots to become the Southern Tigers team manager.

Many of you may not know the legendary tale of Ben's Hodges.

To fully understand 'Hodgey' we must go back to the beginning.

" Ben's dad Rick Hodges represented Australia at the 1978 World Championships in the Phillippines. Ben was born in 1979.

" Rick played till he was 43, holding the record for State League games at around 720!

" Ben has never beaten his dad one on one. His most recent attempt was Saturday afternoon.

" Bens first Senior Mens game was in 1995 at the age of 16. Rick was still playing and it was only the second time a Father/Son had taken the court together at State League level, haven just been beaten by the Bruton family!

" Ben did craft in year 12, achieving an 18/20. Some say we was Adelaide's version of De Vinci, but with wood.

" Rick still dunks better than both Ben and Tim.

" In year 6 Ben weighed 100kgs, he assured me it was 'puppy fat'. My reply was 'wow you must eat a lot of puppies.' We didn't speak again until year 7. He is now trim, tanned and terrific thanks to frequent visits to the solarium.

" Ben first started shooting hoops in 1987 when he was 9 and Rick was playing for the Tassie Devils. He used to rebound for guys like Steve Carfino and Jerry Dennard.

" Ben's nick name is 'girth' or 'coke can' for obvious reasons&

" Ben moved back to Adelaide in 1988 and played his first game for the Tigers (U10 Div 2) and scored 22 points. 21 of those points were cherry picks. This first game set the tone for Bens high shooting % career.

" By second year u18's Ben started to get some official recognition, and made the state team. He promptly tore the tournament apart.

" 35 women had cheated on their boyfriends with Ben.

" In 1995 Ben represented Cabra in the Australian School Championships held in Tasmania, in five games he went 46/52 foul shoots.

" In 1997 Ben began a traineeship at Woolworths Cumberland Park, he was paid $3.50 per hour. A tad generous considering his skill set at the time.

" In 1997 Ben won the 'Keith Miller' award for the best u20 player in the local district competition. (Same age group as guys like Scott Arnold, Keith Krause, Scott Byrt, Simon Kent, Paul Robbinson, Scott Thur, Jared Wilson, Brad Davis, Danny Kosmider, Jason Farman, Pero Vasiljevic and Jude Lamb). He didn't make the state team that year for some reason, many say it was because he scored too often and this upset the SASI hierarchy. The SASI people were convinced that scoring more than your opponent wasn't particularly important, but foot work in defence was&

" Year 12 Cabra College Vs Blackfriers, Ben scored 48 out of 64 including 5 three pointers (I got 15 assists, all long passes to Ben waiting under the ring the other end)

" Ben has been beaten up by younger brother Tim Hodges 345 times. The first at age 9.

" Won ABA championship with the Tigers in 1998.

" Ben has hooked up with at least 5 sets of sisters (that's just the ones I know about).

" However, despite his enormous skill on the basketball court it is my firm opinion Ben should have been a cricketer. Not only due to his prodigious cricketing skill, but his love of pies, cream buns and Woodstock would have been properly nurtured in the cricketing environment. For those of you not aware of Ben's cricketing skill the highlights are listed below. It would be fair to say that as a keeper / batsman only Adam Gilchrest gets even remotely close. In fact I consider Ben to be the ultimate cricketer with Shane Warne's texting and 'lady skills' and Gilchrest's hand eye coordination. Having seen all his innings first hand they were truly the stuff of legend! I think a season of district cricket next summer is in order. Red Backs the season after! A utterly brutal batsman he was quite unbelievable.

o Year 7 Scotch College he made 3 half centuries in a row against St Peters, PAC and CBC.

o Year 10 Cabra College, made 103no 8 sixers, 11 fours (40 balls)

Year 11 Cabra College, made 113no 7 sixers, 14 fours (35 balls) & 73no 6 sixers, 7 fours (40 balls)

o Year 12 Cabra College, made 103 (50 balls)

" And finally even more basketball achievements:

o Held starting five position consistently with the Tigers since 1999.

o Ben was never named defensive player of the year at any level.

o Scored 40 points against Southern Suns in 2001 (but then again who didn't that year).

o Scored 39 points against Norwood in 2003.

o Has the all time record for inducing technical fouls from his direct opponent.

o I've lost count of his 30+ point games!

o More players have been ejected from games for pushing Ben Hodges than any other player in league history.

o Ben's best years were probably 2001, 2002, 2003 with a 20ppg avg at 50%+

o 2001, 2002 Tigers Club MVP.

o Ben pioneered the 'singlet hold O board' a technique where you hold your opponents singlet for a split second as they jump for a rebound. As they are off balance you lay the ball up, they foul you in frustration and you complete a three point play. Next time down the floor your opponent elbows you in ribs in frustration and is subsequently ejected as you fall to the ground holding your head.

o 2004 Voted into ABA All Star Game.

o 2006, 2007 Southern Tigers ABA Coaches Award.

o Ben has 15 career assists (one per season).

o 2007 Ben came about 17th/18th in the Woolacott count.

o Ben has shot at about 50% from the field and 90% from the foul line his whole career.

I think that is most of the major stuff. Well done Ben you have made a fantastic contribution to basketball in South Australia and should be very proud of your achievements in basketball and life. You will be missed by both team mates and opponents alike!

I call on everybody to congratulate Ben on his outstanding career and to share any stories you have. Don't post anonymously use your full name and gives this legend the send off he deserves.

Ben you are a great friend and top bloke, again well done mate. I wish you, Jess and young Benson a prosperous future together.

Cheers,

Jude Lamb

(Mod: Funny stuff.)

Topic #14504 | Report this topic

Phizzer  
Years ago

I remember defending Scott Burt sprinting the ball up the court and running into a blind screen set by Ben at full speed in U/14's at Hillcrest.

I woke up just in time for training on Sunday morning.....

Reply #171093 | Report this post

Mr Whippy  
Years ago

Ben is P.Whippy....the retired, dog owning, soon to be married housewife. He can't afford the risk of braking a bone as every last cent has to go towards saving for a precious stone/precious metal combo for his bride 2 be and his new born Benson.

Reply #171099 | Report this post

bada bing  
Years ago

Up until about 6 weeks ago he was ranked in the top 2 players in SA with Hodge in their last name.

Reply #171100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a dime Hodgey! Good on ya mate! Jude (aka Fudgey P) that was a fantastic and hilarious tribute to the great man.

Reply #171101 | Report this post

The Boardroom  
Years ago

The members of Club 800 wish to express their best wishes for Ben's future journeys.

Kind Regards,
Club 800 at The B-R

Reply #171107 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Jude that is comedy gold mate. I hope Ben can figure out how to work these computer thingos so he can read that..

Ben is one of those guys that managed to get all but about .5% out of his God-given abilities. In the best possible way, Ben is the Bill Laimbeer of Central conference ABA basketball.

An absolute pleasure to play with, a great competitor and an even better bloke. If you know Rick and the rest of the Hodges family it is pretty obvious to see where all of this comes from.

Congratulations on a great career Ben

Reply #171109 | Report this post

Tim Purgacz  
Years ago

Ben, Bodge, Bodgey, Double-Foul Magnet, Girth or just plain Hodge whatever you call the man - I call him one of the greatest ballers and more importantly human beings I have ever met. After playing the last 6-7 years with Ben, and even coaching him indirectly as a junior I can tell you that he still doesnt know how to run a set offence but I guarantee you he could still find a way to score from the ensuing & inevitable broken play.

For possibly one of the worst athletes ever to play the game to routinely do 2-3 things every training and game that truly boggle your mind is an amazing achievement. Defending you at training was just not that much fun - with an array of head-fakes, up and unders, shirt pulls and gorgeous 15 footers you are somewhere between an ABA version of Kevin McHale crossed with Andrew Gaze, with a sprinkling of Rick Hodges. Your sky hooks were like stepping back in a time machine!!

More importantly off the court I have never met a more generous good natured Aussie Bloke, your work behind the grill is truly inspiring to the whole male species. Your zest for life and love (or more likely sex) knows no equal. We have shared more good times than is possible and I could write a book of 100s of pages but I'll try and keep it relatively short.

The sight of a fully naked Hodge running through a hotel corridor is an amazing memory, the coach giving you his full length in the middle of Bridge Road also a highlight. Your ability to knock off a whole tray of cocktails and shooters in the name of competition is only matched by your ability to pick cherries even if there not in season. Your Big Mac eating technique knows no equal!!

From the days at Club 38 and being on a first name basis with everyone at the Palace to the happily attached man you are today you've certainly come a long way mate. Your speeches mid-timeout have provided us years of one-liners and with you on the floor we were always in the game.

You will be sadly missed on the hardwood, the game is losing one of the true good guys - luckily life goes on and i wish you all the best being the Tigers Manager, Inspiration, Team Mascot and basically heart and soul.

"Funny things can happen in overtime" Hodge - remember that and keep on rollin'

See you at training mate - Timmy P

Reply #171147 | Report this post

DB  
Years ago

Dear Ben,
Thanks for the memories...
I was going to post here my list of memories I'll never forget, however upon attempting to narrow it down I simply couldn't. So here are some of the things i'll never forget...

The look of pride on your face when you wore the Yellow Jersey for the first time on this years tour.

"anything can happen in overtime" - and famous the win that followed.

"c'mon boys, we're right where we want to be" (down 5 going into the last quarter)

The time you got in early foul trouble at Mt. Barker and Trav and Ben were forced to put me in during the 1st quarter. I finished with 29 points (still my ABA career high).

The time you gave Matt Illman a cheap shot and I wore the ejection.

The 3 pointer you hit in the dying seconds against the Lions in 2006. And the fist pump that followed.

A 40 point game you had vs North back in 2004.

The "spanking incident" after the 100 club. How you ended up naked i still fail to comprehend. Subsequently tying you (clothed) to a lamp post on Bridge Rd using CAUTION tape.

Finally - the serenade given to you at the Woolacott dinner...

Old man Hodge he,
aint what he used to be,
aint what he used to be,
aint what he used to be,
Old man Hodge he,
aint what he used to be
aint what he used to be... Boom Boom.

Despite the fact we didn't win too often, playing basketball with you has been one of the most fulfilling things I have done in my life.

DB

Reply #171159 | Report this post

Congrats Hodgy,

You are truly a top bloke and a fantastic competitor. The ABL won't be the same without you, and knocking back a few bevvies at the Tiger cage will be nowhere near as fun without you on court.

Best wishes mate,

Dalts

Reply #171171 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

Hodge Man dont do it big fella!!! I am sure you have a couple years left in those chunky legs of yours... If you play next season so will i!!!

Loved the young young years sitting on the Tigers bench hearing you say, "What up Rick." when you wanted some PT.... GOLD!!!

You're a true champion....

Meaks.

Reply #171174 | Report this post

Shaun J  
Years ago

Thought you were going around again Ben, how are the tigers going to score without your cherry picking, who is going to cheap shot the opposition, but you are a natural team manager as I learnt last year.

All the best and I'll see ya at the gym.

Reply #171235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again who is Jude Lamb and congratulations on your son Benson, never realised you had a kid.

Reply #171389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To all those guys who took the time to post all of the above comments I thank you very much. Wheather it was playing either along side of you or againts you at some stage, I just want you to know that you have all given me so many memories and the stories I will have to tell later in life will keep me, if no one else amussed for hours!!
Thanks again to all of you and I will see you round the place and I hope we can do it all over again in a few years time at the Masters!
Cheers
Hodge

Reply #171410 | Report this post

Beats  
Years ago

Sad to see you go hodgey was a pleasure being your teammate and honour to be your mate true champ on and off the court besides some of the things mentioned above i will always remember having to guard you at training and always wondering how you got away from me. The tigers now have the best team manager in the comp. Catch up with you soon mate. from Beats.

Reply #172194 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

I can't believe it. If there was one guy who shouldn't hang up the boots is you old man hodge!!

I'm shocked and dismayed about the whole situation. Your cheap buckets and sharp elbows have been an inspiration to us all.

I look forward to seeing you blow out over the next few years.

Peace and love

J Bags.

Reply #172632 | Report this post

JC  
Years ago

"Scored 40 points against Southern Suns in 2001 (but then again who didn't that year)"

You dropped 41, but we still pumped you by 30 in that one.

Reply #173588 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754