blazefan
Years ago

Heal to the Gold Coast next season?

It's a couple of days old now so I'm surprised it wasn't a thread heading before now, but did anyone else catch the Fox Sports News telephone interview over the weekend with John Casey on the Heal sacking.

Nothing too much that we didn't already know but right at the end, even after Mel Mclaughlin had wrapped up the interview, Casey tipped in with words to the effect of 'don't be surprised to see Shane Heal on the Gold Coast next year'

Now this could mean anything as he lived here for a few years before coming out of retirement to play with the Drags. Returning to this situation fits the headline.

But I know he's got a long standing friendship with Brendan Joyce going back to Joyce's Nunawading days in the mid 80's when I believe Heal was the team's towel boy or something.

While I think his playing days are done, surely there's some value for both sides with him sitting behind Joyce and Mark Watkins for a season?

Topic #14521 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

'Don't be surprised to see Heal on the Gold Coast.'

He's made it clear he is moving back up there. Believe the family is already back up there. If he is fair dinkum about being a head coach he should be an assistant for a few years and learn.

Don't think we will see him playing anymore though.

Reply #171260 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

His ego is way to big for him to bow out of basketball the way he did, leaving as an injured player and coaching a team to the wooden spoon in the same year. If he's an assistant coach/player does that mean his assistant coach salry isn't included in the team's salary cap? At least if he suits up for the Blaze it'll push Joyce's son further down the bench.

Reply #171325 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754