Isaac
Years ago

36ers press conference, 11am tomorrow

The Adelaide 36ers will hold a press conference at 11.00am at the Distinctive Homes Dome tomorrow, Wednesday February 6th, about the future plans for the club's coaching department.

Boti: Decision time for Phil Smyth over coaching future

Topic #14532 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

5AA has confirmed it (as i posted on the other thread minutes ago too)

The censor thing got you too eh?

Reply #171404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yep - in the article title, oops.

Boti also has his Round 20 recap up.

Reply #171406 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Geebus....what a day to be stuck in meetings and not have the chace to keep up to speed.

Phil,

A standing ovation is the least you should receive from the Dome crowd this weekend.

Thanks for the great years, good luck for the future, a champion of the club who i hope will always be welcomed in the house.

Thank you!

Reply #171407 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was interesting seeing him playing, at pratice today. So many injuries, like Ng sitting, he had to play. When ch.7 asked him if he wants to go on, he said, ' the answer is I don't know if I do or don't '

Reply #171420 | Report this post

coaches08  
Years ago

The fact that he was having to participate at training today underlines the exact reason why Volde should leave.

What's stopping him from bringing in a few extra guys from the Academy to help out for one training session???

You have guys that consisitently produce at ABL level and may be long term prospects that are simply given no opportunity to develop or prove they can match it with the professional team.

For God's sake, the Academy run the exact same offensive sets as the Sixers so that they can fit into the system and style of play seamlessly. What's tje point of such a systm when it is not utilised?

It's an utter disgrace that the coach has to 'fill-in' at trainings when there are 15 Academy players looking for an oportunity to be apart of that group.

And people wonder why the best young SA talent are playing elsewhere... he does not know a thing about recruiting or teaching youngsters. If he did, our future team could look somethng like:

Davidson / Maher / Kersten
Ingles / Hill / Seebohm
Hodge / Oscar
Ballinger / Holmes
Big Man Import or Schenscher / Coops or Mottram

Definite finals berth. And all he had to do was keep an eye on SA talent! Disgraceful!

Reply #171430 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

coaches08, how many development players do they need? He had 4 of them for the last 2 home games. I thought it was the job of the Academy to develop the players and then put forward the best ones when needed. Would you prefer Phil to take care of these boys from 6 years of age and hold their hand all the way through to NBL level. I really don't understand the fuss about developing young players. Its happening already. As I've said in previous threads, I only started following basketball since 2002 and have not experienced a championship. Were all these arguments about developing young players going around at the time or were people prepared to ignore the young developers because the experienced players were getting the job done winning the championships? It seems to me that in recent years, Ingles and Newley slipped through the system and ended up with rival teams, and this is where the lack of development players comes from.

Reply #171434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marcus Ng was on the sidelines, presumably injured. Might be the case that a lot of the academy guys are working or studying during the day (well, you'd hope, otherwise what else are they doing?!).

Reply #171455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They slipped thru the system EC cos Volde made no effort to recruit them.

Reply #171470 | Report this post

Years ago

Gee #171470 countless times Ingles has said he NEVER WAS GOING TO SIGN WITH THE SIXERS, as he believed siging with the dragons was a unique opportunity (brand new club, being part of history etc).

Reply #171474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so just offer him the minimum and 13th spot anyway?

Reply #171478 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Please advise the outcome...anywhere i can listen to it?

Reply #171512 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wait for a news report on radio. If/when I get a press release, I will put it up on the 36ers site and mention it here.

Reply #171517 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

There's a video on AdelaideNow website " quits the 36ers" looks like its sourced from Fox Sports...

So, is it official?

Reply #171534 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

That video is the pre-emptive one from yesterday..."Voldemort is SET to leave"

Reply #171535 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

the video just says he is expected to announce that he is stepping down today.

Reply #171537 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Ah. I can't view it here at work for some reason. Probably just the report that was on channel 9 last night.

Speaking of which, they presented it as a done deal, calling it "an end to an era for South Australian basketball".

Reply #171538 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hehe, im clicking through hoops, nbl and 36ers.com...but nothing yet :(

Reply #171540 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm just hoping for a coach that doesn't play favourites.

We've seen too many games / seasons go down the tubes with illogical subs to suffer another year of it. How many times have guys been on fire only to

Everytime Phil persisted with Jason Williams, Mark Nash, Matt Sutton (ahead of a vastly more talented Ng) and later on Brett Wheeler, I kept thinking what my season ticket fee could otherwise afford me...

Reply #171541 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

*How many times have guys been on fire only to be sat down.

Reply #171542 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

I actually don't have a problem with Voldermort playing on the court during training, unless it happens evey session.

If you are on the court, you can get a better feeling and perception of your players and how they play and interact.

Voldermort, you are a legend of the game, and I salute you as a player and a coach, but it is definitely time for a change at the sixers.

Also - I don't think that Ninnis or Stacker are necesasarily the fix - we nedd to cast the net a little wider.

Reply #171546 | Report this post

Ol' Dog  
Years ago

At least now there is a cause for optimism amongst ABA players that at the very least they will get looked at. A golden opportunity now exists for many with NBL aspirations. Don't piss it away boys!

Reply #171547 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Any news on this?

Reply #171548 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

The press are still waiting for Voldemort to say something to them. He came into the room but instead of sitting down at the table, stood off to one side with Breheny and they've been engaged in a calm, thoughtful discussion for half an hour.

[Got caught using his name. Fer crissake, I respect the good he's done for the club, but this farce with his name has caused me to lose any respect for him as a man.]

(Mod: Gold!)

Reply #171552 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I agree with Bozza and don't have a problem with Volde training with the team either for the same reasons.

Lindsay Gaze used to do the same for his entire coaching career for the same reasons.

Reply #171556 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Handled very professionally!!
Well done.

Reply #171572 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Hilarious Mantis,

Did he finally join the conference and scribble his thoughts onto a piece of scrap paper?

Reply #171578 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Ol' Dog -- Regardless of who coaches, there will only be 2-3 proper development sport available with the Sixers.

The only thing that might change is how these guys are deveolped and selected.

As I remember Don Shipway saying, SA has more than enough talent to have two NBL teams, but we don't have enough money or fans to support it.

Reply #171636 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I saw Channel 2 news and Phil looked a lot less 'relaxed' than I have seen him try to look for a long time. During the games, he sits back and might appearm to look disinterested to some, but it's pretty obvious that over recent times he has been quite frustrated, arms over head, standing up, etc.
Today he looked quite uncomfortable, very red and I'd be very surprised if he wasn't very stressed. Not nice to see anyone going through that, particularly, one of our past favourites.
I hope he is well. Definitely would benefit from some 'Chill' time. Good Luck.

Reply #171747 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

For what its worth, I think he looks older than 49. A sign of a hard life.

Reply #171752 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I looked at Yvonne's photos from the press conference and he was laughing in a good number of them!

Reply #171759 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Lots of bad jokes flying between him and Mal during that press conference, including Mal's bad jokes about Voldemort being bald - Yvonne and the couple of other photographers there were very snap happy when they were laughing. At one point, Mal's joked failed, and Voldemort told him to leave the jokes to him.

Majority of it though was fairly carefully worded by the two, Voldemort and Mal talking about their friendship of 30 yrs, and Voldemort talking about the "business component" and the "friendship component" of the relationship between the two. Plenty of dodging the questions going on during the press conference, if the reporters asked tough questions or asked about topics that they didnt want to discuss. Voldemort even admitting at one point that he didn't really answer the question that Mark Aiston asked him.

When they were discussing the player's reaction to the announcement which they made to the players before the press conference, Voldemort mentioned that the first reaction of Julius was to ask "Does this mean that I'll be jumping on a plane and playing elsewhere then?", and a lot of the players are probably a little uncertain right now about what this announcement means for their careers.

Hopefully this announcement doesn't mean we'll end up with another 06/07 style "slap it together at the last minute because these are the only guys who want to play in this uncertain environment" team.

Reply #171763 | Report this post

next  
Years ago

Voldemort mentioned that the first reaction of Julius was to ask "Does this mean that I'll be jumping on a plane and playing elsewhere then?"

THIS is the card we're playing to retain the job?
The "Only I can keep Player x" theory?

We can do better.
How about we provide examples of our abilities to attract and develop our nations best young players?
Or we could let the numbers do the talking for us and just point to our stellar recent record?

Oh.

Reply #171797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if hodge wants to make claims about coaches he's never met and hasn't played for yet, he's in idiot. i'm sure before phil he had a favourite coach then too. before phil, who wouldve known that a rookie coach would deliver 3 champs in 5 seasons?

Reply #171798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754