Isaac
Years ago

Boti: 36ers could go for Baldwin or Beveridge

THE Adelaide 36ers must "think outside the square" if they decide on a successor to three-time NBL championship-winner Phil Smyth.

The likely candidates for the coveted position would include West Sydney's debutant and former national junior coach Rob Beveridge, former Townsville coach Ian Stacker and former Smyth and Stacker assistant coach Scott Ninnis.

Smyth's long-time assistant and former Geelong and Canberra NBL coach Steve Breheny, would be unlikely to seek the role if Smyth was not involved.

But the Sixers should look to cast their net wider and perhaps over the head of one-time New Zealand national coach Thomas "Tab" Baldwin.

Read the full article: Sixers should tab top coach

Topic #14546 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Keep Ben Fitz happy... employ Tab, he can bring Mika Vukona with him as a free agent.

Vukona would be a nice addition to the 36ers.

Reply #171607 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Tab is actually a really interesting coach. He is awesome at the international level.

I have seen him coach against Australia, and completely outcoach Goorj, with a motion offence that had Goorj's tight man to man defence all at sea. On the other hand, I have seen at NBL level and I thought he underachieved with the group he had. Although that might have been the year Chappell played for the Breakers....

Reply #171613 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Have to say I like the sound of Baldwin, good statistics

Reply #171635 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

what do people think of Botys suggestion of Baldwin???
Here is a interesting interview with him, i think it was done last season
http://www.kiwihoops.co.nz/Kiwihoops_tab_breakers.pdf

Tab has been quite successfull with the NZ national team so may not be a bad option IMO. Does anyone know much about him??? is he a good developer of players?? will he be able to recruit well??? will he provide a good free flowing game that wins and fans will enjoy??

Reply #171649 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Bevo would be a terrific choice. A very good developer of players, something 6ers have lacked for a long time.

Reply #171723 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

hoop fiend,

Baldwin has never coached the New Zealand Breakers so don't know where you got that from.

Baldwin was most recently in Greece coaching PAOK and was sacked five games into the season with 1 win and four defeats, leaving them 12th on the ladder in their domestic comp after a roster clean-out.

Reply #171807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754