Rat10
Years ago

Sixer's finals chances

Ok, assuming the Sixers beat the Slingers in Singapore on Wednesday then we need Cairns to lose their last 2 games.

They face the Hawks on Wednesday in Wollongong and then the Crocs on Saturday night at home.

Given the Taipan's form recently, I think the Hawks could get this one, especially given the Taipans lost to the Dragons last Wednesday. However, I would still think that Cairns are favourites for this game given that they have everything to play for and the Hawks are out of the finals running.

Suppose that the Sixers beat the Slingers and the Hawks upset Cairns. We then need the Crocs to beat the Taipans on Saturday night. This will be tough for the Crocs - they are playing their second night in a row and Cairns are at home.

The thing that could come into play however is the fact that the Crocs can take the Wildcat's spot in the top 4. We have to hope that the Blaze beat the Wildcats on Wednesday and then the Crocs beat the Blaze on Friday so they have something to play for against Cairns on Saturday night. If not, then the Crocs could just lay down and be beaten easily by a Taipans team with a finals spot at stake. (The Breakers could also beat the Wildcats on Saturday night but I feel this is unlikely given the game is at Challenge.)

Of course, this will all be irrelevant if wednesday night's results don't go our way but it is worth going through the different scenarios, especially seeing as though the Taipans - Crocs game is on Fox and will be massive if we are relying on the result of that game for a final's spot.

Topic #14596 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers have no chance!!!

Reply #172298 | Report this post

its a 1 in 6 chance. simple as that my friend

Reply #172300 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm sure the Croc's would love to be the team to knock the Taipans out of the finals if it comes to that, they wont need any extra motivation.

My question is can we sack/cut Hodge today? Why you ask? so the Hawks can sign him for 1 game (vs taipans) than we'll sign him back again after that LOL.

Reply #172308 | Report this post

pitstop  
Years ago

Slingers will win on Wednesday....!

Reply #172311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sucks that the team are relying on other results. Would've been great for the massive crowd if Saturday night had been the deciding game!

Reply #172314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, i reckon!

Reply #172319 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

A certain coach certainly didn't act as if it was his last game coaching the Sixers. Didn't soak it up after the game like a person would who wouldn't be back. Me thinks that application will be going in and he thinks he's a chance!

Reply #172322 | Report this post

36ers will win on wednesday and taipans will loose their match so...

Anyway wednedsday's match could be a time to say hello and goodbye to some players for both teams fans.

Reply #172325 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

No chance for the 36ers. Focus on next season.

Reply #172354 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Im sick of everyone saying we are no chance and we dont deserve it....
What the hell? Cairns just let the bottom placed team break a 14 game losing streak against them, who says they dont lose another 2 games?
And why dont we deserve it, if we become the 8th best team by the end of the finals then why the hell shouldnt we be there? Its not like Eddie is swapping us with another team in the 8 to give us a finals chance, if we make it, it will be becaise we had more wins that Cairns who previously held 8th spot.

ALl the people saying this kind of stuff, I really hope you support another NBL team cause you sure as hell dont support the 36ers. . . . .

Reply #172356 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

i agree wit VC fan

Reply #172362 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The 36ers have double the chance at this point in time compared to the same time last week. Last week they needed 2 wins and Cairns needed 4 losses. At the moment they need 1 win and Cairns need 2 losses. The week just gone was an easier week for Cairns to pick up a win (Dragons game) than what's ahead of them this week. One game on the road to a team ranked higher than the Dragons and 1 game at home to a team who has just managed to beat the Bullets. If I was Alan Black, I would be very worried right now.

Reply #172366 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"its a 1 in 6 chance. simple as that my friend"

I think you'll find it's actually a 1 in 8 chance if we're assuming each match is a 50/50 prospect. Back to school with you.

Reply #172372 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

billo, please explain your mathematics, there are 3 games left in question, 1 for Adelaide and 2 for Cairns.

Reply #172380 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

EC, simple statistics.

1/8 is correct, as there is only one combination of results that will get the Sixers in the finals (Sixers, Wollongong, Townsville). There are seven other potential outcomes in the three games that will not result in the Sixers getting into the finals, being:

Sixers, Cairns, Cairns
Sixers, Wollongong, Cairns
Sixers, Cairns, Townsville
Slingers, Cairns, Cairns
Slingers, Wollongong, Cairns
Slingers, Cairns, Cairns
Slingers, Wollongong, Townville

If it makes you feel better, our chances of getting in last week were 1/32. 1/8 is much better!

Reply #172384 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Oops, the second last should be Slingers, Cairns, Townsville.

Reply #172385 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thanks XY.

Reply #172512 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754