anony
Years ago

After the Game

Did any body go to the after game address by several players in the upstairs room - be interested in what was said i assume it was a show of support for the coach / team - last home game /finals a still a chance type / thanks sponsors or whatever
any body there ??

Topic #14602 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Steve Breheny said that he and Phil did not expect Mal to be able to realistically re-appoint them after the results from the last two seasons, or words to that affect.

Copes said he was retiring because he was tired.

Hodge said the 36ers are now the hotest team in the league. He said it with a HUGE smile.

Ballinger explained the theory of the heat-check shot that had been imparted to him from Copeland. When you feel you are ridiculously hot and not able to miss anything, and you take that one shot that is going too far and ambitious, so you then call that your heat check shot.

Reply #172327 | Report this post

Years ago

Copes retiring because he is tired or because he is 42 and hasn't had a good season for 4 years?

Reply #172332 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Copes has played to his strengths this season. Sure last season he did some crazy things, but this year I feel he has played alot smarter and alot more consistently with what he can do.

Reply #172349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ, agreed. He's been very useful this season.

Reply #172387 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Be real interesting to see how he goes coaching. Some players have it others don't up until this year I would have put Copes in the not having the overall knowledge of the game to coach, but know I think he may just be half decent.

Reply #172404 | Report this post

Blicavs  
Years ago

The hardest thing about going from playing to coaching is not the ABC's of the game but the mental/psychology/ego management side of the game which he will not be ready for. In fact these days anyone can find a million drills on the internet to get you through a training session. However, a philosophy takes time to develop and whilst you may have some of the bases covered from your playing days I guarantee not all. Lanard will encounter things which he would never have dreamt he would have to deal with.

Reply #172411 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"The hardest thing about going from playing to coaching is not the ABC's of the game but the mental/psychology/ego management side of the game which he will not be ready for."

Is that you, Shane?

Reply #172414 | Report this post

Basket 89  
Years ago

Willing to bet it's another ex-player who had a tough time passing on his knowledge to juniors.

Reply #172419 | Report this post

R.Boon  
Years ago

Well if he hasn't got all the coaching tools he better go and find them quickly - we are paying him $40K to coach our overweight team of Youth League Stars.
Although, ive been able to coach for a long time now with no real idea about the game so copes will be fine, he's an nbl star and has been for 17+ years.

Reply #172438 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

Copes will do fine as a coach. He has the enthusiasm and the passion for the game. He will be a long lasting figure in basketball i can assure you. i feel that Copes will be a good coach for developing players.

Reply #172527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754