Years ago

Could I please have some opinions?

I've got a PE assignment and I would like to gain some insight into some other peoples views. The topic of the assignment is "should men and women receive the same amount of pay"
any thoughts and ideas are welcome as long as they are relative to the topic. thanks for the help
me

Topic #14655 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no. the standard of play isn't the same. If Erin Phillips could guard Hodge, then sure, pay them the same, but until that time, you've got to reward the better athletes.

Reply #173108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends what they're cleaning!

173108, probably more about the revenue that they generate than simply their ability as an athlete. A decathlete might have an exceptional, broad skillset, but they won't rake in cash because they're not generating the same amount of revenue as, say, an NBA player.

Reply #173109 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

haha Isaac, and spot on.

By revenue I'd say Issac means bums on seats, sponsorship dollars and other items auch as how much of that player's merchandise is sold etc.

The NBA/Major League baseball/NFL make exceptional amounts of money because of their players, so it is only natural that these players should receive their cut and hence why their salaries are so high.

The NBL doesn't generate as much money and hence why the NBL players are not paid as well. You can see this perfectly when NBL popularity started to dwindle in the early 2000s the salary cap was cut and players generally began to earn less (well all except the top ones).

Cricket Australia is in a dispute with its players over this exact issue right now. It is also surprising to me why the AFL salary cap and player salaries are so low given how much mulah the league would presumably pull in..

Apply the above formula to female athletes and they just do not generate the interest, sponsorship dollars and merchandise sales that the men do, with the possible exceptions of women's golf and tennis. Hence why they just don't get paid as much..

Reply #173112 | Report this post

IfLooksCouldKill  
Years ago

But they look better doing it, so shouldnt we be rewarding that?

Reply #173113 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It is rewarded - Kournikova was the highest paid womens tennis player when she played - through sponsorhip dollars, and Sharapova earns more than most of the male players these days

Reply #173117 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Have a look into the debate that has gone on for years in the tennis system. Have had some great debates and you could easily find some in depth articles on the web.

Reply #173119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the interest is there from the media and public (sponsorship, sales, etc) then they will get rewarded. If they're not, it's because it generally isn't.

Fans of womens basketball for example, talk about fundamentals and appeal and so on to combat the lack of a high-flying game. When it comes to, say, high jumping at the Olympic Games, the crowd isn't there for fundamentals and not really there for how good they look doing it (though the media will jump on that), they want to see who can jump the highest.

IMO, the claim about fundamentals is misguided anyway.

Reply #173120 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Correct Isaac. The notion that women have better fundamentals than men to make up for their inferior athleticism is a myth.

Reply #173124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supply and demand - more paying cutomers attend, then the more money available for players.

Reply #173134 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Conjures up memories of Homer doing debating in high school

Should men and women receive the same amount of pay?

No way.

Reply #173138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac's comments and the ones after.

Just to adda bit of spice - Should lower-paid athletes in one sport complain about higher-paid athletes in another?

No, don't choose a (spectator) boring sport!

Reply #173413 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How many of these comments are from males???

Reply #173741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754