Wiz
Years ago

Time for some new stadiums

I think its time to see some upgrade or even new stadiums around the metro area. There are still some old rusty tin sheds around that they play in.

Topic #14670 | Report this topic

Jambo  
Years ago

They tore down what I still consider to have the best court 1 going around, which was also an old rusty tin shed, namely Forestville.

Reply #173325 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

Pity about court 2.

Does anybody know the reasoning behind setting up the court that way? Lack of space?

Reply #173331 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

So sad that Sturt and Forestville are no longer. I spent a considerable portion of my childhood in those places.

Reply #173339 | Report this post

Sure  
Years ago

Wiz,

Great idea, I am sure nobody has thought of that before!

Are you going to pay for it?

Reply #173345 | Report this post

I actually have a piece of the old court 1 from Forestville on my desk. With a plaque on it!! Great court that one....

Reply #173352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got any pictures of the old forestville stadium? i am currently a forestville player in U16s but i've never seen the old stadium in forestville.

Reply #173359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hillcrest is awesome!

Reply #173360 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

There's a couple of photos of Oldville on the notice board at Newville ...

Reply #173363 | Report this post

thirtytwo  
Years ago

(#173360 | Grrr!)
hillcrest is awesome!

Yeah can't wait for the drought to break on it floors.

Reply #173366 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agreed Kad, i was a Eagle and the club was never the same for me after that move to Wayville!

Reply #173384 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Who can remember playing at bowden, now that was a tin shed. Court two at Forestville was a classic, I guess someone stuffed up the measurements one day and forgot to change it!

Reply #173395 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

sure = smart ass

Reply #173401 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

what adout Athol Park... should never gotten rid of that place...

Reply #173410 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I always assumed that the seats between court 1 and 2 at Forestville were put up after the courts were originally laid out, then court 2 was squeezed back in afterwards.

Reply #173445 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Parts of Bowden were used to fix up a few other stadiums down south.

Reply #173449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not from around here but I am sticking around for a fair while yet but I believe Hillcrest is the BOMB.

Reply #173452 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

hillcrest is relic - and should be preserved as history from the 20th century
athol park enough said - bet the warriors love to still be there

Reply #173518 | Report this post

Years ago

Southern Stadium is by far the worst place in SA to play basketball, closely followed by Pt Adelaide. Both have horrible courts, lighting and only recently has Pt Adelaide got a new set of rings.

Reply #173522 | Report this post

basketball sa have identified that -

hillcrest
marion
port are sub par

these stadiums can not even boast legal FIBA court dimensions - that is why they never get any national tourneys.

yes it is about time to get some new stadiums.

everyone argues who is gonna pay, organize it, etc - but they are locked into a "never going to improve / change' zone - whilst so many other ventures move forward.

Reply #173671 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754