Isaac
Years ago

NH: AFL plans for two new teams

The AFL is looking at introducing two new teams within the next four years.

One in the Gold Coast and one in Western Sydney.

They've been unable to convince existing clubs to make the move, so it's likely that they'll be new sides.

Good idea?

Guesses at names?

Topic #14678 | Report this topic

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Gold Coast Success and West Sydney Failure ..

Reply #173428 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Is a 2nd team in Sydney really viable? How long did it take for Sydney to crack the market. And is their current exposure only due to onfield success?

Will 2 AFL teams in Sydney wake up the sydney siders and they will than accept AFL more so. Or will it be pushed aside for their love of Rugby.

Personally I'd rather see a Tassie team introduced first.

Reply #173429 | Report this post

Chook  
Years ago

A Tassie team doesn't really seem like an option, with a reasonable balance having the mighty Hawks play a few games a year there.

I live in Sydney, and can assure you the majority of the population lives out West - currently the Swans appeal to the East and North I think it just might work provided the new team gets a few marquis players.

The Gold Coast is more of a worry - Brisbane Lions struggle with membership numbers despite their success.

One thing I have an issue with is the Swans (I am a Swans fan btw) being seemingly indignant about Team 2 - the only reason they have survived is through the AFL assistance, so surely the AFL has a right to cash in on that for the good of the game.

Reply #173431 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Western Bulldogs will eventually relocate to Sydney/Canberra and will still retain their same name. 8 games being played in Sydney and 3 at Canberra.

Kangaroos will cave and head north to the Gold Coast.

I also believe that in the next 15 years Hawthorn will relocate to Tasmania shareing their games between Hobart and Launceston.

Reply #173432 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Kangaroos have burnt their bridges up here - they are now seen as the team taht didnt want the Gold Coast. Only way i can see a team working up here would be a brand new side - probably affiliated with the Southport Sharks.

Reply #173433 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

southport have massive amount of $$$$$$ and from what i hear allready have afl standard training and medical facilities

Reply #173447 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Screw west sydney and the gold coast. Get a team up in the NT with at least half the aboriginals. It would be great for the league and if they could get some of the already super stars (buddy franklin, goodsey etc.) they would have an awsome team.

Reply #173454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754