Superman
Years ago

Dunk contest

Dwight put on his superman suit and produced one of the most interesting "dunks" in dunk history. Not sure if it should have quite been a dunk though. He then followed up with a alley, bat the ball against the backboard and dunk it with the other hand for another new and interesting dunk (this one was legit though). One of the more unique dunk contests I have ever seen. Especially liked the one where the guy put a birthday cup cake on the rim, blew it out and thew the leather down.

Topic #14688 | Report this topic

Number21  
Years ago

Dwight Howard was AWESOME.

Great creativity, brings me back to last year with the sticker, wonder what dunks he would have done last year if he had advanced.

Reply #173483 | Report this post

I want to know who were the 30% who voted for Gerald Green

Reply #173484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

%22 actually.

Hate me if you will, but the fact that on the Superman "dunk", he couldn't actually stretch far enough to dunk it kinda spoiled it for me. It's not like Dwight was ever gonna lose though...this year's other dunks were a little pale in comparison to the previous couple years...although I actually thought Rudy Gay's dunk catching the bounce off the support beam was better than they gave it credit for.

Reply #173487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blowing out the candle was genious! :)

Reply #173488 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Fact is on the superman dunk he did something that noone in the history of the league would have been able to do.....he flew! He could have dunked it but went for the little extra on the finish. If it's good enough for Magic its good enough for me!

Reply #173489 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

better than they gave it credit??? Rudy got a 48 on that dunk??

Moon was jipped, a left hand dunk off a bounce pass from the free throw line apparentyl wasnt as good as a standard windmill from gerald green who got through with that dunk...(moon got 44 for it...?)

Reply #173491 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

oh and gerald greens through the legs of the bounce pass was the best in the comp...that was ridiculous...

Reply #173492 | Report this post

Years ago

http://www.nba.com/gallery/Dunk/080216_7.html

This dunk looks more creative than the Michael Jordan dunk.
Move over MJ, SUPERMAN IS HERE

Reply #173494 | Report this post

Years ago

plus i cant wait till that picture comes out as a poster!

Reply #173495 | Report this post

If moon didnt put the tape down he would have been better off, just like Josh smith last year

Reply #173499 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Footage? Footage? Scoured the web but can't find any!

Reply #173501 | Report this post

colin  
Years ago

try this from espn

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3249865&categoryId=2378529

Reply #173506 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

Had the judges been able to see the slow motion replay from the many angles as we did, they would have given Green more than 44 for the Candle blow dunk.

Reply #173507 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Awesome display.

The man can fly!

Reply #173510 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

looks awesome but he didnt excactly dunk it... lol

Reply #173514 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

True, but still pretty darn hard to throw it in!

Reply #173537 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Here's the best highlights package I could find. Damn NBA, not letting people Youtube it.

Reply #173539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA.com's video is all done via forced download of Silverlight now. Boooo!

Reply #173547 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

awesome stuff,

Obviously the superman dunk isnt quite legit, Just for my interest what is the technical definition of a "dunk"?

Reply #173558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As long as he throws it downwards, perhaps?

I mean, if you got up miles above the basket, high enough to throw it down so savagely that you didn't need to touch the basket, would you want that denied?

I liked his tap off the board dunk - first time I saw it, I couldn't even see what he'd done.

Reply #173559 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball downward through the basket with one or both of his hands.

There is one component required for this particular "field goal" to be classified as a "dunk": 1) the ball must be thrown into the basketball net in a downward motion where both the ball and player's hand(s) are both above the basketball rim.

Reply #173568 | Report this post

Like it mattered. Even if he missed it the crowd would have gone nuts

Reply #173620 | Report this post

Christopher Reeve  
Years ago

What was the point of putting down the masking tape when he quite clearly stepped over it anyway?

Reply #173668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What was the point in Willie Farley setting up a kid with a camera or a trolley and then jumping alongside them?

Reply #173680 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

i didnt c it but jamario moon only did 1 dunk? what happened to his others?

Reply #173781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754