The_Champ33
Years ago

Rockets' Olajuwon monument

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets plan to unveil a monument honoring former star Hakeem Olajuwon on April 11 outside the team's arena.

Organizers said they worked hard to ensure that the monument complied with Olajuwon's Islamic beliefs. Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis told The Associated Press that details about the monument had not been released.

Houston television station KRIV reported that it would focus on his jersey and accomplishments, but in keeping with the tenets of his Muslim faith, it won't include a picture or likeness of him.

"It's a wonderful monument to the greatest player in the history, I think, of Houston sports, and one of the greatest players of all time in the NBA," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said.

Olajuwon led the Rockets to two NBA championships and was the most valuable player of the finals both years.

"I am so grateful for their thoughtfulness to honor me," Olajuwon said. "It can't be any higher than that. I feel so humbled. I mean, like, 'Wow ... I mean that much.' "

Olajuwon said a statue was not acceptable because it is against his faith.

Houston artist Eric Kaposta designed the monument.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Topic #14702 | Report this topic

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

why does islam prevent a statue of appereciation being built to hakeem :S

Reply #173616 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

It's not much of a monument if it doesn't look like, is it?

Reply #173622 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It will be a monument of a masive fore finger that moves from side to side.........

Reply #173644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wrong guy?

Reply #173648 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I don't get it either and I dislike there rule.

What I wonder is if the team will do a Drexler statue or will Portland do one. He spent a majority with both, but won the title with the Rockets.

I'd prefer a Hakeem statue

Reply #173649 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Sturty are you thinking of Mutombo?

Reply #173651 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Ooops.

Mutombo/Olajuwon everyone over 5'10" looks the same to me........

Reply #173673 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

A statue is idoltry, which is against Islam. Put no other before Allah, you know, Golden Calf story from Old Testament etc blah blah. So presumabley Hakeem doesn't watch in American Idol.

"..... it's in Revelations people!" Kent Brockman.

Reply #173678 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754