skip
Years ago

Ch 7: Sixers Coach News, Ken Cole applies

They are about to announce a few names who have put their hat in the ring. One is apparently a blast from the past....

Topic #14718 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

KEN COLE!!!!!!!!!

Reply #173789 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ninnis and Davis also have applied. Ninnis has already been interviewed. Smyth is still undecided.

Reply #173790 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Ninnis, Davis and Ken Cole have all apparently apllied according to 7.

Reply #173791 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

And Phil is STILL deciding on whether he wants to re-apply.

Reply #173793 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Mark Davis?

Reply #173796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor form to let that out.

Reply #173797 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Apparently Mark Davis has applied yea. Ninnis has supposedly already been interviewed.

Anyone else Ken Cole would help bring bums on seats?

Reply #173798 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Davis? Then why not Dwayne Nelson?

Reply #173799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder what sort of a coach Mark Davis is? Didn't even know he was interested in the head coach job. I know nothing about Ken Cole as he is before my time so why would he put bums on seats? Pretty unusual for a coach to coach a team and then apply for the job again after a 20 odd year absence isn't it?

Reply #173800 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Because Mark was a better player than Dwayne.

Reply #173804 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I like the idea of Ken Cole, hard nosed old school SA man!

Reply #173806 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ken Cole back, fantastic.

Reply #173808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's he been doing recently? would be great to have a legend back if he was in touch with the league and could coach in the modern game as long as he wasn't stubbornly relying on an old system in the belief that "well, it worked to begin with". the 86 team, to be fair, was about as stacked as teams come.

could back him up with a strong assistant. he might not have any significant credibility with current players or future talent that needed help.

ninnis might want his chance now but perhaps cole with ninnis as assistant, groomed to take over. ninnis would be silly not to take any chance he could get if thats what the club offered.

Reply #173811 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

If these are some of the applicants, then I want PS back! And I never thought I would say that!

Reply #173813 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Then you didn't see Cole coach

Reply #173814 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ken Cole would be fantastic but with a good assistant. I am not familiar with his championship winning team but the speeches he has given on his time as coach are so awe inspiring he had completely under his spell. He spoke of the disciplines he's used, the strict work ethic and the attitude of making young rookies feel special and a big part of the team. He pushed his players to the extent that he knew how much they were capable of. I believe he got the best out of his group. The only problem I have after so many years is that his style is outdated and may not fit in well with the league of today.

Reply #173816 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

That is the point EC, sure we want a coach with emotion, but the game has changed a great deal.

Reply #173817 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Yeah , you can't bring the bong to training anymore .

Reply #173819 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

No Stacker, Bevridge? Why because anyone of quality needs to be chased!

Not just apply here.

Reply #173821 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Couldn't back then either as it turned out...

Reply #173822 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Could PS go for an assistent role? would it be an option?

Reply #173824 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The best has applied. maybe a young assistant that Ken could train up to take over.
Seems Phil will not apply.

Reply #173826 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good to hear some names now. Never knew Mark Davis was interested in a coaching role, but welcome.

Ninnis is more than welcome.

Ken Cole is a bit before my time, but heard lot's of great things about him. I saw him a couple of seasons ago @ a game Vs the Bullets. The whole team re-united. He's welcome back.

Mike Dunlap can return if he wants too. But I think he's happy with the NBA and wants to remain there now that he has a foot in the door.

Any other names?

Reply #173827 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Ken Cole is still very active in basketball in the US.

A Cole / Ninnis combination would be great!

Reply #173830 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

the king cole wants the job again, wtf, remember him from the apollo days as a wee kid sitting on the side of the court to watch the games.

dont know if he would be good in todays game but the aura of the big tex would definetly bring bums on seats at the start, can see him now with the big hat cowboy boots and pulling up in a big arse yank tank

Reply #173832 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Didn't he used to drive a WB Statesman Thomo, or was it an old Fairlaine ?
Either way they were made here in OZ.

Reply #173835 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Sector7G - wouldn't mind the Cole / Ninnis combo either .

Reply #173836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dj, there more names than ch 7 have mentioned.

Reply #173837 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There was so much left for him to do here. He had too little time..
And I'm sure Mal would have asked Jan Stirling to play some sort of role.

Reply #173838 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The 36ers in the mid-late 80's were awesome! Easily the best team in the country in 86, 87 and 88 and of course won the championship in 86 (it's still a sweet memory). They were a lock to win the championship in 87 but were beaten by a cocky, up start Perth team (yep, I'm still bitter). A year later I expected Ken to the right the wrongs from the previous year by destroying the Wildcats in the early rounds. Canberra won in 88 after bitzing North Melbourne who blitzed Perth who blitzed Adelaide in the first round. Ken couldn't do it then and I doubt he could do it now. He still talks a great game, just like he did 20 years ago.

Just had another flashback from the 80's. Women's basketball was fun to watch, they still wore sports briefs (Shelley Gorman was hot, Michelle Timms was not).

Reply #173842 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ken won 86. Then was gone, otherwise would have won 87 and 88 .

Reply #173843 | Report this post

Years ago

Big Ads,
Thanks for your faded memories.
Ken Coles last year with the 36ers was 1986, Gary Fox took over in 1987.
But hey mate, you keep trying though.

Reply #173844 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Gary Fox you say, Its the Mad Cow Disease, I've got it you know. Bring back the hat. Kenny Cole

Reply #173845 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I remember hearing Ken Cole on talking hoops, talking about the 86 team and the current sixers, i think he would be awesome, he is so inspirational to listen too, oozes passion for the game of basketball and for the 36ers, he knew of guys like Ingles and Newley and spoke about current nbl so he must be keeping up with it to some degree, was known as a good developer and recruiter of players, i think he would be awesome.
I remember him saying if he had still been coaching he would be confident that all the good SA players would be 36ers, ie Ingles and Newley as he was good at identifying the players and bringing them along
Id be more than happy to see Cole given the job with Ninnis and Davis as his assistants.

Reply #173846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahhaah u want talent put paul bell as 2nd assistant then he can sign his whole group to the 6ers

Reply #173848 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Cole is well past it after leaving the 36ers where he won 1 championship with a team that should of dominated before 86 but didnt and didnt after.Yet were clearly more talented you guys are blinded by bs which he supplies in bucket loads.Went to Newscastle and did nothing got the sack for poor performances.Read an article on N.B.L. website a few months back where he was talking himself up only problem was what he said he had done was not even close to the facts.Wanted to say he coached West Adelaide in the N.B.L winning final wasnt him at all it was Ken Richardson.There were a stack of others a great talker yes a great coach no.Look at his record very poor but good at telling you different.Lets get Beveridge he won 1 of his last nine games do you guys do any research at all.Davis coached for 2 months at South then quit because they were doing no good and he couldnt cut it.If this is all weve got we are in big trouble.

Reply #173850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so the 86 team couldnt win before or after but did with him coaching them in 86. thanks jokker!

Reply #173853 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He coached sixers 85 and 86 . second and top.
Had serious health problem at newcastle, unable to coach. Guess you haven't seen him coach.

Reply #173854 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Ok Carmel 31 tell me why he only represented Australia on only a few occasions yet tells us he was the greatest player in his time?Why did he get sacked if he was so great? Was it a drug problem yeh thats what we want.Why did he get moved on so often from clubs if he was so good.How is it no one else has ever spoken about getting him to coach?Please dont give me the old one he has been in the States making millons thats the one he has been spreading the last 20 years and that isnt true.Ask the people that he worked for get the facts and you will be very disappointed he is not what he tells you.The best bs artist of our time do your research then come back.

Reply #173857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jokker, 2nd best bs artist!! ;))

Reply #173859 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Haters need not post here. Ken was good and is interesting he's applied but realistically, he stands no chance at winning the position. The game has changed and recent experience matters. This is no different to applying for a job in any profession. If you've been out of the game for 10+ years, you've got some explaining to do.

Watch for applicants from left field (ie that you haven't heard of). There are some.

Reply #173860 | Report this post

Me3  
Years ago

Ken would be a bit old now dont you think.He is a great coach though

Reply #173862 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Ken Cole you have to be kidding guys,almost 20 yrs since coached a decent level. Asking for nominations is a time waste to appoint a coach . Ken Cole, Mark Davis, Scotty Ninnis , dicko, e c , are not going to get the job . Maybe Dana will get it with Phyl as assistant.
Front runners is Stacker -- Ninnis combination with I am told someone from left feild.

Reply #173863 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Ken Cole is definitely a blast from the past.

No specifically related to him, as I don't know enough about his history, but don't the blast from the past guys normally come up lacking in the modern game.

The game left behind guys like Barnes, Hurley, Gaze, Palmer, etc.....I would have thought that Ken Cole would fall into the same bucket.

A Cole/Someone combination MAY work, but I would have thought you'd get the more "modern" version to be the Head Coach. Someone like Cole could bring value, but I wouldn't want any team to go back to the future with a Head Coach, especially 20 years back ..... Maybe Cole as an Asst if he shows that he has some value to add???????? If he's old skool, he might lack the ability to NOT be the man in charge though, too.

Reply #173864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair, it wasn't that long ago that Hurley was Coach of the Year.

Reply #173865 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Cole? No. The game has moved on, and more importantly so has the type of player coming through. The old school tactics don't work with the newer generations.
For mine I would like to see:
Head Coach: Stacker
1st Assistant: Ninnis
2nd Assistant: Jan Stirling
36ers Academy: Lanard Copeland/Mark Davis

Or, even:
Head Coach: Ninnis
1st Assistant: Stirling
2nd Assistant: Kevin Brooks
36ers Academy: Copeland/Davis

Both combinations seem to be pretty good to me.
The 36ers academy would be a good way of Davis and Copeland getting some coaching experience.

I think if you could get that type of mix of experience and knowledge at the 36ers we would be on to a big winner. I'm certain there would be enough encouragement there for the best young players to be happy to play with us (as long as we don't offer the minimum wage again!)

Reply #173867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kevin Brooks is coaching with the Wollongong Hawks. Copeland is starting his coaching career in Geelong.

Reply #173868 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

At the end of the day...

Reply #173869 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Great work Lockstock, I was waiting for someone who was there to come up with that line!!!!

And to correct "jokker", Mark Davis Coached the entire 2003 ABL Season, he did not quit after 2 months.

Reply #173870 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Front runners is Stacker -- Ninnis combination with I am told someone from left feild. "

So Stacks lied to me when he said he hadn't applied?
I'm devastated.

Strange that he also came out in the paper not long ago saying that he wouldn't be applying for any job other than the Dragons as he didn't want to move interstate again.

Are you sure he's in the group of applicants?

Reply #173873 | Report this post

Big boots  
Years ago

DICKO, just because he told you he hasn't applied, doesn't mean he's not Mal's number one choice.

Reply #173875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Stacks lied to me when he said he hadn't applied?
I'm devastated.

I guess that's how Phil felt after J.Ingles lied to him...

Reply #173876 | Report this post

Sensation  
Years ago

Give it to Davis - fresh and eager to Coach it would be good to see him in the role. Give him a chance like Phil got and you never know what could happen. Good for Ninnis to apply but not sure he is best fit yes he has been to a few clubs but they have all let him go!

Reply #173877 | Report this post

Years ago

Stacker has not applied for the role.
Ninnis was let go by 1 club, the Dragons.
Davis won't and shouldn't be coach.

Reply #173878 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

For those suggesting Mark Davis as a viable candidate... you obviously didn't see him coaching ABL.

We really should be head-hunting Bevo, IMO.

Reply #173879 | Report this post

Morrie  
Years ago

Just to put the facts straight on Cole's playing ability.
Cole was in the 1964 & 1968 Olympic team as was Werner Linde. They got into some sort of altercation at the Games, based on Vic-SA rivalry (I think there were 10 Vics & 2 SA players in the team)
It was recommended that they never be selected again and, even though they would have easily made the 1972 team, that proved to be the case

Reply #173880 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Give it to someone that wants the job and gives the best application/interview/presentation.

Reply #173881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip - so you want a slick salesman, not someone with a proven record of success?

Glad you don't have a say in the decision making.

Reply #173883 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Did Smyth have a proven record before he won 2 championships in his first two seasons?

Reply #173885 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Grrr, Stupid Phil Filter

Did Phil have a proven record before he got us 2 championships in his first 2 seasons?

Reply #173886 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I am biased towards Ken. There's an aura about him.
Like when he was left out of the 72 olympic team with 10 vics in it. So Ken played in a game for South Australia against Australia and South Australia won it and Ken was the best player.
To see players lift for Ken it's amazing.

Reply #173887 | Report this post

Sensation  
Years ago

Ninnis let go by the Sixers, Townsville and Dragons! We don't know why not saying he doesn't deserve a chance, they all do. Cairns wouldn't have Jawai if not for Davis. I like the Cole / Davis combination. Even the Davis / Copeland combo.

Has Phil said anymore on the topic - does anyone know if he said anything at the MVP?

Reply #173888 | Report this post

Years ago

Cairns wouldn't have Jawai if not for Davis?
Now this one I gotta hear!

Reply #173890 | Report this post

Sensation  
Years ago

It was on Fox and Cairn's TV when he first trained, Davis was on TV with him * not sure how it came about. Good luck to everyone, lets hope the club can turn itself around.

Does anyone think Jan Stirling could be the first female NBL Head Coach?

Reply #173891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stirling would be a mistake. davis would be a bigger mistake i think. the press conferences would be unbearable rhetoric.

Reply #173892 | Report this post

Years ago

If your not sure how it came about, don't write something that is completely untrue.
Jawai was always going to go to Cairns because of Aaron Fearne, no-one else.

Reply #173894 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Ninnis let go by the Sixers, Townsville and Dragons!"

Ninnis was a victim of cost cutting at the sixers, nothing more.

He left Townsville to take up the Dragons offer. Was still being considered to remain as an assistant.

Yes, he was cut by the Dragons, because a certain ego thought he was a threat. Turns out, that same ego didn't last so long either.

Reply #173895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip - do you recall (or were even around) when the coach prior to phil had a run ....

Dave Claxton anyone? After the horror season he put us through, we'd have taken Drover's Dog (although have prefered Dunlap not to have left) at the point when Phil got the gig.

Reply #173897 | Report this post

Waldo J  
Years ago

Its funny seeing you get fired up Ninny and Belly - your easy targets!! Sensation has been waiting for your bite! And yes it was on Fox it was an Indigenous Talent program.

You can have you Scotch and Coke now!

Reply #173899 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dicko Dicko your colours are showing .
Ninnis is not ready to take over sixers and Cole ,Davis and even Stirling are too ridicolous to even talk about.
Come on Issac throw us some names even if you camaflouge with some incorrect ones .
When do we anticipate a decision

Reply #173900 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Have you been around the last 2 seasons anon?

Reply #173901 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Dicko Dicko your colours are showing"

Really? Care to elaborate on which part I was incorrect?

Reply #173902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip, we are in a situation where we've got management who have a vested interest (ie, no need to 'risk' an unknown). There are plenty of candiadates out there with passion for the game, and proven records of either: success or development.

No need to 'give X a shot' if there is a candidate out there who missed Mal's memo for all to apply.

So i take it you don't remember Claxton's year... probably a good thing, wish i couldn't.

Reply #173903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'I'm thirsty'

Reply #173904 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dicko not saying you are wrong about anything , take a pill mate. The colours barb. is about you pushing Ninnis barrow all the time, nothing wrong with that either. But after last 3 years it is my belief that Scottys not what we need.
But he would do better than current incumbent.
Because he would care.

Reply #173909 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I'm not pushing anyones barrow, I merely pointed out that your statement about him being "let go" by the sixers, crocs and dragons was not necessarily reflective of the circumstances.

I have no idea whether Ninnis is the best option for the role. All I care about is that he, along with anyone else that deserves a decent shot, is given the opportunity to present their case.

Reply #173911 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would prefer someone thats heart is in it and wants to apply. Everyone involved in basketball in Australia would know the job is available so they would have all got the memo. unless of course you are refering to outside of the Country but thus far no names have been mentioned really.

I dont want a coach that just decideds to do it because we chuck a lot of money at them.

Reply #173914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or who still hasn't even decided whether they'll apply or not?

Reply #173915 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ken has been waiting a long time to prove a point here. He would have his heart in it more than anyone.

Reply #173918 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Isaac, I know Kb is coaching in Wollongong. It doesn't mean he couldn't be here next season! Although to be fair, after the way the 36'ers shafted him last time he was an assistant here I'm not sure he would want to come back.
Copeland would be useful because he has a profile and would be respected by the youngsters who know what he has done. Copeland/Davis together could really boost their coaching possibilities by taking on a role like I suggested and would at least be able to 'sell' the academy to sponsors etc..

Reply #173919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel 31 - That wasn't Ken Cole ommitted from the 72 Olympic team - it was WERNER LINDE, and Ken Cole was a VICTORIAN originally and came to SA to play for South then later became the sixers coach.

Ken is however a great motivator and can extract the best from a team.

Reply #173920 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dicko i dont want to get into I said you said posts.
But it wasnt me that said he was let go by Crocs , sixers or Dragons. i think Drtagons did him a favour as has put his name more fwd. as a option since then.
He certainly also do better than KB fancing KB instructing players to play defence. Didnt worry about it when he played.
I believe we need a coach with a proven record to put some real system in our game and desire to get right team for the long term

Reply #173921 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cole came here from Vic. Played for South and SA. Both he and Linde were left out of 72 Olympics. Cole coached West and sixers.

Reply #173922 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Bretts the man............ My apologies, I thought it was you that made the original comment.

I've got to be honest, I have yet to see a name that would make me think that Scott shouldn't get the gig.

Most of them are no more experienced than him, many are less and none would match the desire he has for the job.

But that's just my two cents.

Reply #173932 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

I thought Cole was originally from NSW? Wherever he's from he'd draw a crowd and get some excitement back in this town for hoops which can only be a good thing. Provided he's got a good assistant then i'm all for his appointment.

Reply #173934 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Make him an assitant and let him do the interviews!

Reply #173942 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Hoop Addict is spot on : Sixers should be knocking Bevo's door down to get him here.

Reply #173948 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree with Dicko, there isnt anyone else who really stands out more than Ninnis, guys with experience like Stacker and Molloy dont seem interested, they want the Dragons job and also have not won championships or anything in there time. Bevo would be good but has only coached 1 year so is he definatly going to be better than Scott Ninnis???
Then out of other assistant coaches going around not many if any have more experience than Ninnis.
I dont think his departure from any of his previous clubs had anything to do with his coaching, im pretty sure the 6ers was cost cutting and i remember hearing Smyth not being happy about that in the papers, im pretty sure i heard him say on talking hoops the Crocs offered him a contract but he chose the Dragons as it looked as if he could get the Head Coach job in a year or so after Price went home.
I also like the idea of a ex 36ers player/local guy having the coaching job and Ninnis seems to be the most experienced out of them, the others currently in the NBL being Brooks and Sapwell. Guys like Holmes and Ingles followed him to the Dragons so the players dont seem to mind him. Plus he also seems to have a lot of passion for basketball, keen on working with young players, and is passionate about the 36ers as a club.
Ken Cole being a possibility intrigues me, meybe he could be an assistant/mentor to Ninnis for a couple of years or something to get him back invloved.

Reply #173953 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree with Dicko, there isnt anyone else who really stands out more than Ninnis, guys with experience like Stacker and Molloy dont seem interested, they want the Dragons job and also have not won championships or anything in there time. Bevo would be good but has only coached 1 year so is he definatly going to be better than Scott Ninnis???
Then out of other assistant coaches going around not many if any have more experience than Ninnis.
I dont think his departure from any of his previous clubs had anything to do with his coaching, im pretty sure the 6ers was cost cutting and i remember hearing Phil not being happy about that in the papers, im pretty sure i heard him say on talking hoops the Crocs offered him a contract but he chose the Dragons as it looked as if he could get the Head Coach job in a year or so after Price went home.
I also like the idea of a ex 36ers player/local guy having the coaching job and Ninnis seems to be the most experienced out of them, the others currently in the NBL being Brooks and Sapwell. Guys like Holmes and Ingles followed him to the Dragons so the players dont seem to mind him. Plus he also seems to have a lot of passion for basketball, keen on working with young players, and is passionate about the 36ers as a club.
Ken Cole being a possibility intrigues me, meybe he could be an assistant/mentor to Ninnis for a couple of years or something to get him back invloved.

Reply #173954 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Cat in the hat what are you on Bevo lost 8 of his last 9 games give me a break Ninnis would be better but i would research that, his qualification arent great.I saw the previous coach after a few games and he was gutted they lost his passion was as good as anyone he just didnt make a song and dance about it.You are kidding yourself if you say he wasnt passionate about the 36ers

Reply #173956 | Report this post

Ninnis & Maher .

Reply #173957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil lost 6 out of 7 earlier this year against mostly playoff teams. out of those 8 pigs losses 7 were against playoff teams. it happens. bevo would be great and is their first choice. phil hasnt even wanted to apply yet

Reply #173959 | Report this post

jokker  
Years ago

Bevo lost every game to Phil has managed to finish below the 36ers and you reckon he is a better choice.You want to get rid of Phil for a guy who has been in the league 1 season and has a worse record.Glad your judgement isnt clouded.

Reply #173968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe compare rosters and where they were expected to finish. also phil hasnt even decided to apply so why compare

Reply #173969 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There was talk that Brett Maher was thinking retirement and I would say he would be a definite candidate, but from all reports he's decided to go around once more.
So far I would have to agree with Ninnis being the best candidate.
I know...Warrick Giddey...Mark Bradtke...how"s that for a couple of names from left field!!!

Reply #173971 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

jokker

You have no idea really, do you? But good on you for having a go and sharing your opinion. If you knew anything about Bevo and his coaching style and philosophies, maybe you would change your mind. Do you know anything about him at all, or do you base this solely on one season in the league with a pretty ordinary roster? But hey, each to their own I suppose...

Reply #173972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken Cole and Mark Davis. Don't forget Ken was the one who got Mark ova from NZ where he was playing, and they both have knowledge of the game far beyond any other aplicants. (Davis prob not but definatly Ken)

plus having passion for the game is not enough, if you can get someone with passion for the club then it's going to work. Davis only ever played for the 36ers in the NBL and Ken has always followed the 36ers.

Reply #173974 | Report this post

Years ago

Incorrect.
South Adelaide were the ones that got Mark Davis from NZ when their first choice import went home after 4 days, nothing to do with Ken Cole (or the 36ers).

Reply #173977 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

I still think if the club wanted Phil gone they would have told him he was no longer wanted. Unless Phil was sucked don't all signs suggest he is still the preferred choice to coach the team?

Lindsay Gaze coached for 20+ seasons and won two rings. Joyce has been coaching for 10+ seasons and won one ring. Based on current results who is a better coach than Phil, that would want to coach the 36ers?

Reply #173978 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

i wouldnt minda a Cole/Davis/Ninnis combo, probably give the head coach role to Ninnis long term but maybe Cole for a year or 2 if they decide Ninnis is not quite ready, but yea my preference would be Ninnis with Cole as his assistant/mentor and Davis as the 2nd assistant. I like the idea of having 3 club legends given the gig. Also consder Copeland and Sapwell and KB (if avaialable) for assistant/academy roles.
Just another thought would KB be better suited for an assistants job than Davis?? i he a better coach, is KB better coach than Sapwell or even Ninnis?? other than Ninnis he is the ex 36er with the most coachin g experience currently involved in the NBL
since he is 1st assistant at the Hawks i guess its unlikely he would return to the 36ers for anything less than 1st assistant or head coach.

Reply #173984 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

If Cole is in the coaching group it must be as Head Coach. Let the assistant sdo some of the technical stuff but the inspiration that Cole provides needs to come from the Head Coach

Reply #173999 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

100 replies to this topic and nothing convincing to say that Phil is not the best option. Let's hope he does make himself available for the position.

Reply #174000 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

From what I understand, making himself available for the position will not make any difference.

Reply #174001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

d16 how can they stop him from applying for a job open to all? i believe he is starting to realise that they are not going to continue with him and wont even apply.

Reply #174010 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC - Phil is done. He's been shit for the last 5 years. The guy can't say for sure if he even wants to coach again. Why would we want someone without the passion and commitment (or any sort of game plan)

Reply #174016 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Maybe not but Stacker/Ninnis combination that many think should take over does not excite me very much either. Phil has had a lot go against him the last 2 years in particular. For all we know, Phil may be waiting to see what changes are being made for next season before he decides to apply or not. If he sees a repeat of the last 2 years happening again, then his heart is certainly not in it. My guess is that he has his own personal conditions that need to be met before he will consider re applying (and no his personal conditions are not limited to money).

Reply #174044 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

EC - you can't really be that blind can you? Phil has sucked for since about 03. Not taking away from what he has done, but he is not a coach I want at the Sixers.

It has been said numerous times that Stacker has not and will not apply for the Sixers role.

What doesn't excite you about Ninnis? Is it that he will actually bring some structure on offence and defence? That he will give a crap when coaching from the sidelines? That he will develop and try to keep young SA talent here in Adelaide?

I don't think the players will be jumping to sign on before the coach is named, so I don't think Phil can say he is waiting to see what is on offer for him to coach.

Reply #174046 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

EC what changes would he be waiting for?? players? they really need a coach to get players signed so he can put his target list together. hes not waiting for anything except his own interest.

Reply #174047 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems unlikely Phil will apply, as on Saturday nite he thought that applications closed in about 2-3days and was still undecided. Anyways, applications close tomorrow.

Reply #174058 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

TOMORROW??...better get my resume together, given the current starters, ive gotta be a chance..lol.

Sadly i have not seen anyone mentioned outside the "to be expected" list (except perhaps Ken, and lets be honest..time has probably moved on for him)

Surely there is someone in the US somewhere, with a record, a game plan, some real plans to make a name for himself and a bit of something we havenrt seen before.

At the moment, there is no-one who stands up and says...

"IM THE COACH THATS GONNA BRING YOU A CHAMPIONSHIP!!"

Reply #174070 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"My guess is that he has his own personal conditions that need to be met before he will consider re applying"

In my best Daryl Kerrigan voice....."Tell him, he's dreaming"

Reply #174072 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I mentioned Cole to KG and Cornsey, so they are gonna ring him. They thought he seemed settled in USA where coaches in their sixties is not unusual.

Reply #174074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went out with Ken's son he is the nicest man ever!!!
LOVE YOU KEN xoxox

Reply #178644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754