gillan
Years ago

will julius hodge be in NBA next year

will he make it?? i think hes good enough but what all u guys think.

Topic #14730 | Report this topic

cough splutter  
Years ago

you are kidding right???

Maybe to watch an NBA game!

Enter Volkswagon coffee spray commercial for this post

Not even close

Reply #174040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just cant do it without some kinda jumpshot

Reply #174043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes made it before with no jumpshot so why would now be any different?

Reply #174057 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

No chance whatsoever

Reply #174066 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Without a jumpshot he was 3/3 from three-point distance in the last game against Singapore.

His game is not geared to shooting from distance. It is a one-on-one drive and dish take the lanes game which is, in my view, entirely the skill set NBA teams are looking for. All of their rules are designed to assist the driver: illegal defences, no-charge zones, man-on-man.

The NBA has many one-dimensional players (that are not well rounded in all areas) that can do a few things exceptionally well. I would argue Hodge falls into this category.

The NBL is a jumpshot league and Hodge got on fine here. I would be very surprised if he wasn't looked at closely at the summer leagues. Doesn't mean he will get back in, but he has a good chance.

Reply #174082 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Threads like this are (no offence to the original poster) pointless. I think he has made it clear he's going over there for Summer League, so he has every chance to make it. It's like I said in the Ebi Ere thread, it's all up to him on whether he makes it or not. IMO, I think he can get back there and has a greater chance than Ebi does.

Those of you saying there's no chance, etc. You seem to be forgetting that, 1) he was drafted 20th overall without a J, and 2) he most likely would be in the NBA right now if it weren't for the shooting. I'm not sure how much that had changed his game, but now he seems to have fully recovered.

Reply #174089 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know that they're entirely pointless, just some idle chat/opinions on the topic. And we've seen them before, but that's largely inevitable.

Personally, I think he'd be a decent chance. He's had an impact on par with that of Carlos Powell last year and Carlos has cracked, or isn't far off cracking, an NBA roster this year. At worst, he'd make some noise in a summer league team and at least get noticed in the D-League.

Reply #174094 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think you can play NBA without a J. Sure he has made it before but why did he get cut and subsequently not find another team? I don't know, but I think it is a good chance because he can't shoot.

I just think there are 1 million other guys in the US who can play like Hodge, but can shoot and are super-athletic.. he'll lose out to those guys every time..

I don't remember seeing him do anything super-athletic either. Correct me if I'm wrong

Reply #174098 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'm not disagreeing there Isaac. By 'pointless' I meant that you will have some saying yes, some saying no, but ultimately, it comes down to those that are in a position to make decsions (NBA coaches) and not us.

I'm all for good clean debates about these things.

Reply #174103 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

ive heard from a source i know he's not coming back regardless. money is to little here, he can make alot more money elsewhere even if he doesnt reach the nba.

Reply #174154 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

no doubt about the money, thats not really a factor at all. He can play here if he likes it, if he wants cash he goes to a bigger league. The question is if he gets back to the NBA, i think he does need a J. Yes he has all the other skills but at some point you will need to be able to hit a mid-range J with some level of consistency. I also think its hard to compare where he really is at by his time in our league, he is on another level generally to our other plays so his figures and ability might be inflated by that.

Reply #174167 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

maybe he got cut cause of something to do with a shooting, im just throwing it out there... nash is mvp and cant play d, if thats possibly, then hodge can make nba... as for his athletic ability, he seemed a fair bit faster than most the guys in the nbl from what i saw

Reply #174175 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

There are plenty of players who have made the NBA without a J . He has a big heart , competitive drive and good personality .If he impresses the right folk at the right time in the right way he may stick with a team .I would imagine he would be a good training and locker room presence and that is a rarity in the greedy land of US of A holes .

Reply #174186 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

Shaq can't shoot, but he's a 7 foot truck, Steve Nash might not be able to play defence all that well however he can get triple doubles anyday of the week.

These guys are stars, you then go to the 'bench warmers' and those guys are mostlikely going to be ones who can shoot threes, have terrific defence or an all round ability. Driving against the likes of O'Neal, Duncan, Bosh, Bynum, Wallace etc. is very hard and i don't think he is quite up to it. A good jumpshot would probably get him through to the NBA.

Reply #174194 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

rotate - I haven't given it much thought but I'd be interested to know if you can name a shooting guard/small forward who couldn't shoot a mid-range J in the NBA?

Reply #174229 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754