blazefan
Years ago

John Rillie after game interview

Did anyone else catch the 'dig' John Rillie had at Brendan Joyce during his player-of-the-game interview last night?

I can't recall the exact words but he was obviously rather cheesed off at comments Joyce had made to the newspapers during the week.

Given he finished the topic with something along the lines of "he (Joyce) can go and get ready for the Olympics now", it seems there may also be some frustration to do with this topic as well.

After having a blinder of a game and being one of the main reasons your team is still alive, I think this experienced campaigner could have shown a little more class.

While disappointed with the result, I was very pleased for our northern cousins and figured on supporting them Friday night. Not after Rillie's spit however. Go Taipans. Go Wildcats.

Topic #14735 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of personality and altercation in the league doesn't hurt, IMO. Heroes and villains sell tickets. Joyce did make some digs at Galen Young during the week, so fair's fair.

From JR's site, talking about finals basketball:

Tonight we host the Gold Coast Blaze and it is do or die. After winning that game, we board a plane for Perth on Thursday where we will take on the Wildcats Friday night.

Win that game and we move on to face the minor premier Sydney Kings in the semi finals. Lose at any time before this and you will find me fishing on the banks of the Ross River by week's end.

The action will be fast and furious this first week and I cannot wait for the jump ball tonight. This is the time of year every player should absolutely live for. There is no time for excuses and no time for hiccups. We are now playing for all the marbles.

Reply #174102 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Joyce did make some digs at Galen Young during the week"

And I'm sure Galen thought about them a lot whilst collecting a nice double-double and watching his team beat them. Reasonable shooting for 11 points and monstered them on the boards for a game high 15. Didn't foul out either :-)

Does playing mind games EVER work?

It seems that there's 2 kinds of players, those that ignore it, and those that get inspiration from it and play better. I don't remember seeing anyone go to pieces completely over comments made by another coach or player during the lead up to a game.

Maybe the 5 minutes spent by Joyce thinking up what crap he was going to spew, would have been better spent working out who he was going to give SOJ's 25mpg to. Certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Reply #174104 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

SOJ IMO didn't do bad at all, he hit a couple of big 3's that actually kept the Blaze in it.

Reply #174106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know if rowan grey got minutes for the blaze?

Reply #174107 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Rillie has to be the most open and honest player
I have met. Never holds back on what he is thinking and is fantastic for the league.

Reply #174108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Re: Rowan Gray, check the boxscore. I don't believe he hit the court.

Reply #174109 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Especially right after I bagged him last night for the first time...

Played well, hit the threes Bizz is talking about...

I spent the next 3 minutes looking for something to wipe the egg off my face..

Reply #174112 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

John John is hilarious ... always great for a laugh and jestful pot stir .

Reply #174133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Rillie and Joyce have a little bit of a history which may have been what was behind Rillie's comments. Joyce was assistant on the 2004 Athens team were Rillie got next to no court time which was odd considering he was probably the best shooting guard in the league the previous season. Apparently it was because he didn't get on well with the coaching staff of Goorj and Joyce.

A year later, Rillie was 'retired' from the Boomers time by Goorjian who said he would never select him again. JR was pissed about this and made comments in the media talking about how he had never said he had retired from international ball. Around this time, Joyce went on NBL wrap and said JR was lucky to have made it onto the 2004 team. This was rubbish as JR tore apart a Joyce-coached Wollongong in the semi finals in 2003/04 averaging close to 40 points a game in that series. He had a very good season that year and the fact Joyce made those comments showed he probably had some sort of personal problem with JR. It's good to see Rillie torch Joyce again in the playoffs and show him what an idiot he is.

Reply #174176 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

^Woops, that above post was me BTW.

Reply #174179 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Nice little piece Minx ... JR would definitely be one opponent to let lie .. no need to awaken the sleeping crocodile or is that bear , maybe its giant .. thats ur ass were talking bout Tony Roundedbuns .
oh boy rotating out of control , must be all the fumes from boganville 08 . sick .

Reply #174183 | Report this post

blazefan  
Years ago

Thanks for all the info. I figured there had to be something else going on. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for players speaking their minds, it's just I thought that for that interview, JR may have more important things to discuss than the losing team's coach.

To anonymous above, I don't think Rowan Grey even made the trip to Townsville as Demos and Campbell filled the 9 & 10 roster spots.

Finally does anyone know how far out Crowe was when he sunk the last second 3 pointer. After watching the game, I had the final margin at 11 but this changed to 8 when I checked out NBL.com.au yesterday. Crowe, who missed every 3 point shot I saw, suddenly had 1 from 7. I know the Blaze got possesion back with 2 seconds left and the inbound pass was not a long one, so the shot must have been a monster.

Possibly an interesting incident that was lost in the euphoria of the Crocs victory.

Reply #174293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754