lockstock
Years ago

Shaq's first game @ Phoenix

So Shaq has made his first appearance for the Suns.. although it is indeed very early days and the team will take some time to "gel", what were people's initial thoughts.

I thought he seemed to get into the groove of the Phoenix offence quite well early and the Suns players looked very comfortable playing with him in there. He definitely added offensive rebounding and shot blocking/intimidation around the basket too.

Will be a pleasure to watch Amare go to work facing teh basket from 15-18 feet too IMO. He is a monster right now.

All in all I can see the experiment working. Thoughts?

Topic #14747 | Report this topic

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

If Shaq stays healthy then it could work out for the Suns.

Realistically they got him to be be better defensively in the playoffs.

Surely with Nash he will get some easy baskets and be a solid contributor.

Reply #174258 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

shaq looked like energised see him runing the floor and diving on the loose ball. be interesting to see if this keeps up or will it take its tole

Reply #174262 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Lockstock, I agree that he looked pretty comfortable, particularly in the second half. I think most of the first half jitters were more about the not having played in so long rather than the playing with new teammates.

A hell of a game by the Lakers by the way. Kobe's dunk over Diaw at the end of the quarter was awesome.

How about that bit by Hubie Brown about Golden State being 9th in the West at the moment with a 32-21 (?) record? Considering that probably three teams will get in the playoffs in the East with a LOSING record that is pretty amazing.

It was actually an interesting game to watch (better than watching the dead shit boring Spurs). Gasol was great, as was Odom. Shaq will definitely add something if he can remain healthy.

Reply #174266 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Mutley - why the Spurs hate, you're obviously one of those I love to see "free-flowing" basketball - basically that means teams that don't play defence.

I would rather watch the Spurs (and I'm a Pistons fan) gring out a game than watch the Suns run.

The ultimate finals are Pistons vs Spurs.

Reply #174273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would rather watch the Spurs than the Suns??

First person i have ever heard say that.

Reply #174275 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Bizzy, I think at least three of their players are protected species (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker), and whilst I respect their success, it just simply isn't interesting watching their games.

Reply #174276 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon - I know another that will agree with me - thedoctor - He and I are basketball purists.

Mutley, you don't think Steve Nash is protected? Kobe? Wade?

All superstars are protected, it's just that teams like Spurs and Pistons aren't pretty about their basketball, they go out there and stop the other team, not try and outscore them.

Reply #174277 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Bizzy,

why does prefering a defence orientated style make you a basketball purist?

I would have thought that a free flowing game was actually the 'purest' form of the game rather than a lockdown half court grind.

(not criticising just interested in your thoughts ) :)

Reply #174280 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Bizzy, I consider myself a purist too, however I have to go with Mutley on this one.. the last 2 games I have watched are Phoenix v Golden State and Phoenix v LA and I can remember saying in both of those games - wow, these games are amazing. I remember hearing the commentator in the Golden State game also say that he wished the game would never end.

Mutley - so true about LA. They are playing amazing basketball right now. They can run a set offence, something of a triangle (although not the triangle Phil used with Shaq or Mike, which was much more of the real triangle offence), but if they need a big basket or the shot clock is winding down they go to Kobe - realistically when I watch Kobe play I say, what a bad shot, but it is not true because every shot is a good shot if Kobe is shooting it (well in the context of needing a big basket or with the shot clock winding down).

And then there is their bench. Arguably the best in the NBA, and with Bynum and Mihm to come back I pick them as the championship favourites right now. A lot of credit has to go to Phil Jackson IMO.

Reply #174292 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

I was with you until you mentioned Mihm..

Reply #174302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Nash.. PROTECTED!?
Did anyone at all see what happened in last years 3rd round Finals Series clash with San antonio..
I mean, Robert Horry only TOTALLY TOOK NASH out. He got a free shot at him and as a result Amare and (Diaw?) got sidelined for a game. And thats not to mention the avid picture in my mind of him with blood pouring out of his plastered nose thanks to one Tony Parker.
and people say he's weak..

Reply #174326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That moment changed the series. Phoenix were dominating until then. I think the whole San Antonio team is protected. There the NBA's golden team. They are ridicously boring to watch. Don't show any emotion, passion etc. They just play like robots. Dont get me wrong they do get the job done.

But rather watch them play over Phoenix or Golden State?

Seriously what drugs you on dude?

Reply #174329 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ELG will be here soon, someone bought up Horry v Nash!

Reply #174334 | Report this post

hello

Basketball purist for liking defense? more like basketball Nazi! jeez. what an arrogant thing to say

L.A Phoenix was one of the best NBA games i've seen. Suns played well, but Kobe and gasol were too good. i'm just happy the suns outrebounded someone for once.

Reply #174377 | Report this post

And what exactly is a purist? I mean, if you were truly a purist who loves defensive grind out matches (who's to say that is 'pure' basketball anyway) you wouldn't be watching NBA at all

Reply #174378 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Horry was just showing Nash wat a foul at the defensive end was...thats all....lol

Nash couldnt play D to save himself

Reply #174391 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I didn't watch the game, but do you guys think the Lakers are a good shot? Obviously Kobe can still shoot with the damaged pinky, and Gasol has fitted in seamlessly. Once again Phil is working his magic there..
ELG, will Shaq fit in well with the run and gun?

Reply #174394 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Felington "wat" do you mean? I´m sorry. What do you mean?

Reply #174401 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

To me, 'pure' basketball is free-flowing, fun to play and watch, where the game constantly moves and a players timing, vision and skill are utilized to the max. Anyone can slow it down and grind it out, where's the beauty in that?

(And if anyone says 'but I thought you didn't like Phil'....)

Reply #174402 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Sorry...A elaide...........are you from Country SA??

You must be alot slower than your City folk

Reply #174406 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

DB5....I think the Lakers are a huge chance of winning the west

Gasol has adjusted

Shaq....aint fit

Dallas...Dont have a front court anymore

San An....need 44 pts from Manu to beat the TWolves

The only other team is New Orleans!!!

Reply #174407 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

FEZ, I still do not understand "wat" you mean! And you are now saying country people are dumber than city folk. You should read over your own posts before you have a go at other people.

Reply #174413 | Report this post

I think when the suns learn to use shaq correctly (i.e GET HIM THE BALL) they will do much better. there was a stretch of abot 2-3 mins where he didnt touch it (understandable, since they really havent had a real bang it down low big) and he really struggled out there. The real positive is stoudemires play, i think he pulled down 6 O rebs, which is more than the whole team's been getting as of late. When Gasol was their only big, amare was dominating the boards, because Gasol had to block o'neal out. Kobe was kobe, but i think if amare didnt have so many lapses on D (gasol had about 5 layups), suns would have won this one. Should be very exciting if these teams meet again in the playoffs.

If amare learns to shoot consistently from 18 feet, look for him to start getting a lot of 30 points games. The first time he scored was magical, Shaq got it in the post, Lamar went down to help, kick out Amare 18 footer.

Reply #174423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754