Isaac
Years ago

D-Mac's backstory

Darryl McDonald is between two and eight games from exiting the NBL and Grantley Bernard has quite an extensive piece on how D-Mac came to play in Australia, amongst other things.

"Basketball has been my way out since day one," McDonald said.

"It's not even close. I come from a neighbourhood where it is easy to get sucked into what's going on. I had my days where I dabbled in that stuff. It's a way to get quick money.

"But I know you either going to die or you going to jail. It's pretty obvious. I lost friends to dying, I lost friends to jail."

Read the full article

He notes that David Barlow wants him to play on, but at 43 and twice-over a grandfather, he's ready to leave the league.

Topic #14791 | Report this topic

jnx  
Years ago

What an awesome article!

Reply #174684 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

D-Mac is great. He's one import I've loved since he introduced himself to Australia. He's a freak of an athelete and well conditioned. I'd love to see him play on, but he might bow out like Lanard.

Reply #174689 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Great Story.....Great man.....Great Career

The NBL loses another one of it's all time greats at the close of this season.

Reply #174694 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I didn't much like him or his little runner for a little while back there in 1994...

Reply #174698 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The refs never once called him for carry! :P Jokes a side he has had a brilliant career here. I'd still rather have Darnell Mee Instead.

Reply #174787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754