Ben Fitz
Years ago

NH: V8 Driver Ashley Cooper confimed dead

Very sad news but not unexpected, hopefully his crash raises safety standards for all competitors in the future.

http://linky.com.au/rjt31

Topic #14801 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

This sux :( More over, that corner REALLY sux. The drivers constantly say that its the most dangerous corner in the country.

Reply #174772 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

kad, they also say that they love that corner.

Reply #174782 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Terribly sad and condolences to all who knew him.

The corner is loved and feared, this sadly, is motor racing.

Reply #174786 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

Fitz safety standards are very high these days. It was one of those very unfortunate accidents

Reply #174866 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The original F1-corner (Jones to Brabham Straight where Hakkinen crashed) has a different camber to this one and provides for the driver to go directly on if he doesn't get the corner right. The current one doesn't and is, as we now know, a death trap.

Time to move the track back to the original F1 specs. Either way, whatever you think about the track etc, something MUST change. A guy just died, for crying out loud.

Reply #174871 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The unfortunate nature of the beast Moses.

I agree with what some other people said last night on the TV. Maybe they have to review who drives the car and on certain tracks a semi-professional shouldn't be allowed to drive.

The F1-spec would be the common sense approach, but since when does anyone use common sense these days.

Reply #174880 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Very true Brock, what i would like to see is an improvement in seat belt mounts and mounting points as well as a standardised seat mount system.

The seats and belts must meat a safety standard to be in the car but there is no safety check to ensure they are mounted or attached appropriately.

I think the belts should be mounted to the cage and not the rear parcel shelf as under full load they stretch at a rate of 5cm per metre.

So in a big hit you are guranteed 5cm of give in the belts alone under the current instalation practice.

I agree that sometimes accidents happen and results are worse than what they look like.Hopefully Ash's death is not in vein, look at what f1 learnt it could achieve out of Ayrton's accident.

Reply #174894 | Report this post

Langer  
Years ago

This is so sad just as sad as Mark Porter. R.I.P Ashley Cooper. U will always live on and i think its the best way you left doing somthing you loved doing. you were a great guy and you will always be with every one.

The corner is bad but you gotta take it at the right speed. the other accident in the V8 Utes was just as bad.

R.I.P.

Reply #175057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754