DICKO
Years ago

The coaching roundabout

OFFICIALLY there are only 2 Head Coach positions open in the NBL at seasons end.

I would suggest that there will be quite a few more than that.

I have HEARD that Rob Beveridge is talking to multiple clubs (I assume he has permission from the Pigs), even though the Dragons are NOT looking at him. So who would be talking to Bevo?

- Top if the list are Adelaide, who really made no secret of the fact that they wanted to talk to him.

- The Dragons, IMO, are pretty much going to go with Goorjian.... or Molloy in a caretaker role for a year if Goorj can't break away from the Kings. BG will be there next season or the one after, you would think.

- Would the Kings be quietly talking to prospective coaches? Would they already be thinking about getting in the market in case Goorj chooses to walk away?

- How about the rumour (that I too have heard) that Fisher may be departing Perth at season's end, if they don't win it all. And seriously, against Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, who thinks that Perth are going to win it all?

- If Fish is on shaky ground as a coach who most would consider over-achieving with the roster he has, how would Black be feeling in Cairns? Surely, he has under-achieved with the roster he has.....Could Cairns be having quiet conversations with Bevo?

So what positions are there?

Adelaide - open
Brisbane - Wright safe.
Cairns - Black shaky? Possible opening.
Townsville - Gleeson safe
Gold Coast - Joyce safe
Sydney - Depends what BG does. Possible opening.
West Sydney - What will they do if Bevo departs? Possible opening.
Wollongong - Cooks contracted.
Melbourne - Westover set for life
New Zealand - Lemanis safe
Perth - Fisher shaky? Possible opening.
Singapore - Who coaches them anyway? :-)
South - Open.

In the end, there are definitely 2 jobs open, but dependant on who fills them, and what other clubs do, there MAY be as many as 6.

Could be an interesting off-season.

2 Questions.....

1/ Does anyone want to have a crack at speculating about who will end up where?

2/ As Adelaide supporters, how do you feel about the idea that one of the top candidates for the 6ers role is POSSIBLY shopping himself around to other clubs? Would you prefer someone who desperately wants to be 6ers coach, or someone who will take it if the conditions are in his favour?

Topic #14818 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would like the coach to be that good that all clubs would want to be talking to him

Reply #174888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO - Gordie McLeod coaches Singapore

Reply #174895 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

I would be putting my money on bevo for the sixers job, the razorbacks have gave permisson for him to talk.

Brian to dragons a done deal too from my sources, so expect the dragons to spend way over the salary cap and have some success, just like the kings do every year.

Reply #174897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm with Brockman. Get the best you can.

FWIW, heard last night that Beveridge is, apparently, in the US chasing up various contacts. Staying active regardless of where he'll be.

Reply #174898 | Report this post

ginger  
Years ago

One thing that puzzles me is why would West Sydney be happy for Bevo to leave after one year of his deal?
This to me is a little alarming, is he not cracked up to what we all think, or is their other reasons like club debt that we dont know about?
Doesnt fit right for me, if i think the guy is right for the job i wouldnt be letting him chat to anyone whilst in contract!

Reply #174921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't he on a one year deal? Knowing he's looking to field offers, they have probably just been fair and let him talk to other clubs.

Singapore let Adelaide talk to Brad Davidson early and it wasn't because he was a dud.

Reply #174925 | Report this post

ginger  
Years ago

I know for a fact he signed on for three years.

Reply #174926 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

todays paper mentioned there being 4 candidates, Boty mentioned Ninnis and Bevo, who would people prefer out of those 2??
I personally wouldnt mind a combination of those 2, i guess Bevo wouldnt take an assistants job anywhere so he would be head coach with Ninnis as 1st assistant, what do people think of that?? would ninnis take an assistants job??

Reply #174932 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Probably not.

And there's only 2 horses in this race.

And Ginger does bring up a valid point. Bevo is on a 3 year deal at WS.

Why would they let him talk to other clubs, virtually straight after their season is over?

Reply #174933 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

are the next 2 years for bevo option years maybe?? hence he can opt out if he gets a better offer??
are the 2 horses Ninnis and Bevo??? i like the sound of both of those guys, i personally would like to see Ninnis given a shot, but Bevo does have some good credentials, should be good either way i think

Reply #174936 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Could the Pigs use Bevo's contract as a bargaining chip to get some extra income for the club. If the Sixers are red hot to get him would they pay out his contract at the Pigs? This would obviously give a club, which historically has struggled for cash, a boost on their bottom line and may allow them to pursue some more expensive free agents than their budget would originally have allowed?

Reply #174943 | Report this post

Wayville 4  
Years ago

I don't quite understand what the big deal is with Bevo. Success with junior national teams does not equate to success at NBL level.

The main knock on Ninnis is that he hasn't coached at NBl lvel. well, Bevo has coached one season and won a measly 10 games!

I too know for a fact that he is contracted for 3 years.

Ninnis is the man for the job. He is familiar with the town, the organisation, an SA boy and above all, a bloody good coach.

Reply #174944 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

"He is familiar with the town, the organisation, an SA boy and above all, a bloody good coach."

Sounds like you are describing Voldemort.

And as a rebuttal to the next twenty posts noting the "bloody good coach" part:

He won 3 championships. And I believe he is a "bloody good coach" of seasoned veterans. I think he realises this which is why we recruited guys like Wheeler and Copeland. However the quality of these guys is not of the same standard as the 97/98 crew. However, if we did keep Hodge, Ballinger, Maher and Davidson then we are starting to get close. I guess what the club has to decide on is whether any potential replacement could do a better job with the potential list of players that they might have. Or, whether in fact, an alternative (more development oriented) coach may attract some younger talents.

Lots of unknowns. Anyone know when a decision is likely? I assume before the finals are over so potential recuits know who their coach may be?

Reply #174953 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

who is to say the contract was signed by bevo? I hear this has been happening a fair bit with coaches these days, more of a gentlemens agreement. I am aware if was a three year deal, however has he actually signed a physical contract is the question.

Reply #174971 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Ok...what the hell, ill give it a go....

36ers....Ninnis (home town boy)

Dragons..boy gorj ($$ to spend and a name to make)

kings....bevo(at least hes got something to play with)

Perth....fisher(like to get rid..but,no better option)

pigs....black (any port in a storm)

cairns.....voldemort (relaxed lifestyle will fit)

Reply #174972 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I believe it's not a "signed" contract, but there is an agreement in place and the Pigs still needed to OK his talking to other clubs.

They certainly didn't hesitate, which does be g the question.....why not?

Reply #174975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What makes you think they didn't hesitate? It could've been a decision that took them hours/days to decide.

The 36ers' decision has, from all accounts, been made so I guess we'll just wait on the announcement.

Reply #174979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ninnis.

Reply #174981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes anon - he's one of the candidates

Reply #174983 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

mmmm... Starting to sound a bit like Ninnis ?

Reply #174987 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I have nothing to say :-)

Reply #174993 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw come on now DICKO, who is it?

Reply #174995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a hero DICKO. There'd be half a dozen people on here with nothing to say, but most seem to have a lot more tact that you...

Reply #174996 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

woohoo...im guessing that i am, 1 from 1 so far then.

Reply #175001 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

AS much as i like the idea of Bevo.. i'm going with Ninnis, hometown boy, always wants to comeback and never wants to leave. Can persuade good players and knows the Sixers style.

Reply #175009 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Obviously Scotty will be chomping at the bit to prove he can deliver as head coach in this league , i think he deserves two years but he will need to produce quickly as the frustration from the last 3-4 years is already overflowing .

The thing with the dragons is if they get Goorjian you would doubt Ingles or Jacob return as they would be leaving their Boomer aspirations in Melbourne .
The flipside is boy G may try and take Kendall , Wortho , Draper and Crosswhite across with him .

May leave some talent open to offers .

Reply #175011 | Report this post

No ninnis - come on?? Get someone from out of SA, with a fresh outlook... Tiser said guys from all around the world had applied and Ninnis is in the mix??? Way to look at all options, and not the easy ones....

Reply #175014 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Isn't the 'Sixers style' a factor in there poor performance over the past couple of seasons? What is Ninnis, an offensive or defensive coach?

Reply #175015 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

people i have from a good source BEVO

Reply #175020 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think it will be Bevo, Mal will want to change things up IMO.

Would not mind seeing Scottie get the job. Does well with the Academy etc..

Bevo started the season firing with an inept team, however died in the end.

Reply #175023 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Please No Ninnis. Never played defence so doubt if he would be a defensive coach. How much pressure is there for the Acadamy team to perform?

Reply #175082 | Report this post

Years ago

Goorjian was an absolute shitful defender when he played and Smyth was a defender par excellence, and look at their respectful team philosophies!

Reply #175088 | Report this post

Years ago

Goorjian was an absolutely shitful defender when he played and Phil was a defender par excellence, and look at their respective team philosophies!

Reply #175089 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

So BAKE, on those grounds how the hell did Smyth ever coach a big guy???? Sure you don't have to like the option of Ninnis but put up a decent argument.

Reply #175101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tiser said guys from all around the world had applied...
I've been sent coaching CVs in the past by people thinking that Hoops.com.au is a basketball club or whatever. They're usually fairly basic - probably no more qualified than the average juniors coach here. 150 applications sounds great, but I would bet that the vast majority would not be considered too long.

A known quantity like Ninnis, Beveridge, etc may sound a bit plain but they would have existing contacts within Australia, rapport with current players, etc - and recruiting is a big part of the game here with quite a limited talent pool.

Reply #175143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announcement HAS to be close. Tomorrow maybe?

Reply #175146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754