Camel 31
Years ago

Ch 7: Hodge favours Phil

Ch7. news will run the story. Hodge will not come back unless Phyl Smith is coach.
And, Phyl on 5aa in a minute

(Mod: Title altered to better reflect story content.)

Topic #14834 | Report this topic

Number21  
Years ago

Hodge wants his name filtered too...?

Reply #175029 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ch 7 news will run the story tonite. Hodge will not come back unless Phyl is coach.
Phyl on 5aa in a minute

Reply #175030 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Yep, No ....., No Hodge.

Suck on that all you anti (he who cannot be named)posters.

Reply #175031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what are the chances hodge would even play in the NBL next season? almost none. he'll play in the dleague.

let no individual make demands!

Reply #175032 | Report this post

g50  
Years ago

joe, why?

Reply #175033 | Report this post

Hoops 30  
Years ago

Is it an interview with julius??

Reply #175035 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It might be ( just heard a bit about it on the radio)

Reply #175036 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Because the crap they have given to Phil for the last 3 years and now they have to suck it up.

Phil is the best man for the job and they have to just accept that.

Reply #175037 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

agree Joe. i want him back.

Reply #175039 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

A man who has failed to get us to the playoffs two years in row, who has admitted that he doesn't know if he's up to coaching anymore, a man who has frustrated the fans for years with his lack of inniative, lack of developing, lack of self-criticism and lack of passion, is the best man for the job?

I hate to say it, but no player should be bigger than the club. Julius went from NBA rookie, to playing in European for (according to him) a tough coach who he didn't see eye to eye with and it's that much of a shock that he likes playing for Phil, when he's the best player in the league and is treated as such? Give me a break, if Phil was that greater coach, why have he had all of our young players leave? Why haven't we made the playoffs the last two seasons? Why has he had so much criticism?

If he is re-signed (which I doubt he actually will) then it's a joke, and it shows that Mal and co can't make tough decisions.

Reply #175040 | Report this post

g50  
Years ago

joe, but why? because one player only wants to play for him? what does that mean except he likes him?

Reply #175041 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

So Let me get this right - you want the coach back who has delivered some of our worst ever results in the previous two years - why? cos he is a nice guy? C'mon - it is time for a change.

No team wants a player that dictates things like who coaches - it will end up been a cancer in the team and do more damage in the long run.

Reply #175042 | Report this post

Hoops 30  
Years ago

If he only wants to play for him, why is he going to try out for another league?

Reply #175043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every import or older NBL star wants to play under Voldy, simply because he lets them do whatever they like... Which hasnt gotten us jack in recent years!

Reply #175044 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

It has gotten Hodge, who for the the first time EVER had three player of the week awards!

Reply #175045 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Imagine if we had Hidge from the start of the season? Everyone would be talking about Phil a bit different i feel.

Reply #175049 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Sorry Julius Hodge but that is absolute garbage . And for the turkeys at 5AA to play it up for their little friend , piss off . Too Little , Too Late .

There are many imports who if given free reign like Julius " The Ultimatum " Hodge , would produce near trip dubs .

Look Hodge was fantastic in his stint but there is no way an import who has played 10 or so games can try and influence a clubs future coaching appointment .

Reply #175050 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

How many players will stay if Phil is nolonger coach? Would Brett go round once more unless there a chance of a championship?

Reply #175051 | Report this post

Years ago

What a beat up

Reply #175052 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Of course we'd be talking about him differently if he had the leagues best player. All his deficiencies would have been hidden.

Honestly, why is it that after two failed seasons and two first round knock outs before that, some still want him here? I just don't understand, and I never will.

Reply #175053 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

on ch9 hodge said its if hes doesnt make the nba he will sign with adelaide if phil is there,

hmmm player making demands

Reply #175054 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Just saw it...

doesn't categorically rule out Hodge playing under a different coach, but he's pretty much given Phil his full backing.

I find this interesting...as with Hodge, we only narrowly missed a playoff squad. The last 10 games of the season or so pretty much proved that with a healthy squad, Adelaide had the talent for Smyth to coach a winning team...it was just stuff that was out of his control that contributed to the early season stink fest.

Reply #175055 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Just saw it...

doesn't categorically rule out Hodge playing under a different coach, but he's pretty much given Phil his full backing.

I find this interesting...as with Hodge, we only narrowly missed a playoff squad. The last 10 games of the season or so pretty much proved that with a healthy squad, Adelaide had the talent for Smiith to coach a winning team...it was just stuff that was out of his control that contributed to the early season stink fest.

Reply #175056 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

i saw the report on ch7, he said that if phil is the coach its in the bag he will be back if hes not in the nba, but said adelaide would be on the list of teams anyway if its not phil.
Obviously he would prefer phil but it didnt seem he definatly wouldnt come back under someone else. Also say if Ninnis got the job, im sure they would know each other as Ninnis would be around the club and he may be able to get Hodge back and since he likes the city if the offer him a decent $$$ offer and a few of the current 6ers are back id guess he would atleast consider it no matter who the coach is.
As good as Hodge is, i dont think a player who is a free agent trying out for the nba and no doubt would be getting offers from europe and other nbl clubs should be able to have a say in who coaches, so i hope management makes the ebst decision, but i guess it doesnt hurt to see what the players think. Having said that part of me does say do what ever it takes to get Hodge back, as he is one of the best players in the NBL and would be a huge contender for MVP if he played a full season.

Reply #175059 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Really James W? Chappell was out of his control? His inability to scout other teams was out of his control? His inability to create a productive offense out of his control? His inability to realise the switch up man which hadn't worked at all the year before was out of his control? You were right about one thing James W we did have a talented team and we didn't even make the playoffs! You can all continue to make up all these lame excuses and give him a pat on the back but at the end of the day for the last 6 season he has been nothing better then mediocre as a coach! People have also made valid points that during the championship seasons he wasn't required to coach that much as the team was very talented and not necessary reflecting on his coaching ability!

As good as an import as Hodge is I'd let him walk if it meant that phill wasn't coach anymore!

Reply #175060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has phil already been on 5AA or is that still to come??

Reply #175063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knows phil has strong connections with ch7.

Thjs is a last ditch attempt by a very desperate man to spin doctor the basketball public once again.

Very selective editing and complete lies and fabrications.

Reply #175066 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger , Ng and Luke S.. all will play for Phyl on ch7 news item , at the end of Hodge interview.

Reply #175067 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

would those guys still play here without phil is the question?? i reckon atleast one or 2 would specially if phil doesnt coach anywhere next season
a team of
C Schenscher/Cooper
PF Ballinger/Dodman
SF Hodge/?? Burdon
SG Maher/Ng
PG Import(if Ballinger is naturalised)/Davidson
Would do very well in my opinion with or without Phil as coaching

Reply #175068 | Report this post

Years ago

Thats not what was said at all Camel toe.

Reply #175069 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't recall every word but didn't ch7 mention those three more likely if Phil is around.
Only their opinion, something like that.

Reply #175075 | Report this post

g50  
Years ago

joe m, the report said that hodge was still a chance even if phil wasnt the coach. why did you say 'no phil, no hodge'?

Reply #175077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only in their opinion?? because phil told them that? thats bad form!!

Reply #175078 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

Why does everyone keep throwing Schenscher's name around in prospective squads? I was under the impression that he was quite an outside chance at comin home anytime soon?

Reply #175086 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Screw it, any team with Hodage and ballinger can and WILL win. If Filly wants the job and he can recruit those 2 guys....im all for it. If he fails AGAIN....there is NO more excuses for his horrible coaching record of late. As for Julius saying what he said, good on him for saying what he belives in! If he feels that coach can get make him a better player, well I'd love to see him flourish even further at the DOME!

Reply #175087 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I don't approve of Hodge trying to take Phil as hostage and demand he be signed before he signs.

It's time for Phil to go. Bring in fresh changes and new direction.

New coach please. I approve Scott Ninnis.

Reply #175091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt Hodge is suggesting that no Phil means no Hodge. I think Hodge is merely saying that he likes Phil as a coach and if he were reappointed he would be more than hapy to re-sign with Adelaide should he not make the NBA. He is not ruling out a return to Adelaide, he is just saying that if Phil was in charge it would be an easier decision. Had Ninnis or Beveridge been coach this year when he was brought in and he liked them it may have been the same case, but they werent coaching so that is something he would have to look at before re-signing. All you people bagging Hodge and his comments need to ask yourselves, would you play under a coach you didnt care much for and would you gladly play for a coach you did like?

I for one, think Phil cost us alot of games throughout the season with poor coaching. However, I still think he is better than Ninnis and Beveridge who with the Razorbacks finished below Phil and the Sixers this season. You have to remember we played most of the season with one import, no Maher and with Mottram being brought in late. Phil is still the best man for the job!

Reply #175096 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

This whole thing has a familiar smell about it.

Reply #175097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can people stop throwing Schenschers name around, he will not be playing in the nbl for some time, give it a rest!

Reply #175099 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

^^^^ Why do you say that?

Reply #175103 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

G50

I was simply reading between the lines and summarizing something that may actually happen.

I still believe next year at the Sixer, No Phil - No Hodge or Ballenger or any chance at a good side.

Reply #175104 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

LMAO  so many anti-Phil support are now peeing their pants that he may be back. Goodness me it's funny to read there desperation. Some really need to grad the Prozac bottle so they can stop stressing out.

Reply #175105 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Camel31, can you please stop making statements that are not what has actually been said to support your agenda? Saying things like "Hodge will not come back unless Phyl Smith is coach" is untrue and not helpful. Others have confirmed that what he said was more along the lines of "if I don't make the NBA I'd like to play for Adelaide, and if Phil was coaching I'd like that". Why can't you just report was what was said rather than spinning it to make it look like Hodge is making demands?

Ditto with this comment "Ballinger , Ng and Luke S.. all will play for Phyl" and then when challenged you come back with this "I don't recall every word but didn't ch7 mention those three more likely if Phil is around. Only their opinion, something like that."

A journalist suggesting some players are more likely to be around if a certain coach is in charge is very different to saying they'll all be on the team if Phil's in charge.

Reply #175106 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

While I'm here, imagine this scenario.....

The Sixers heed Hodge's suggestion and decide to reappoint Phil in the hope of getting the same squad we had to finish this season and make a good run, then Hodge picks up a gig in the NBA, Darren goes back to medicine and our same tired old system headed up by someone who's not even sure he wants to be here (and is far less sure now that Hodge has gone) misses out on the playoff for the third successive year. What would you pro-Phil supporters think about that?

It's good to know where Hodge stands on things (likes Phil but would still play for someone else) but at the end of the day Mal and co shouldn't really take this into account too much when selecting the new boss.

Reply #175108 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah I'm with billo, will people be happy if smyth goes around again and hodges gets a NBA or better euro gig and leaves. Will people then say we are in great shape? i agree that the 2 imports along with a improved squad will get us a lot further than what we had last year but you must think worst case, and i would rather get a new coach (with a new vision) and roll the dice with hodge. Ninnis or whoever will see the talent of hodge and mold to his game anyway, you just cant risk repeating the possible situation we had pre hodge.

Reply #175110 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah I'm with billo, will people be happy if phil goes around again and hodges gets a NBA or better euro gig and leaves. Will people then say we are in great shape? i agree that the 2 imports along with a improved squad will get us a lot further than what we had last year but you must think worst case, and i would rather get a new coach (with a new vision) and roll the dice with hodge. Ninnis or whoever will see the talent of hodge and mold to his game anyway, you just cant risk repeating the possible situation we had pre hodge.

Reply #175111 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was the lead up story at 5.30. when I put this on. The 3 players names were mentioned at the end of the story, as I was racing out to training. I should have taped it.

Reply #175112 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i think everyone can admit, after the chappell incident volde wont be looking to recruit other teams reject imports. the whole hodge experience should have shown him that they can get imports other than ones who have played in this league on other teams. if we dont get hodge back which i hope we do, we will still hopefully get someone new, exciting and a pretty decent player. phil has had success with imports in the past, brooks, farley now hodge so hopefully things will still work out with him as coach. if we lose hodge and were stuck with another recycled lemon, then i suggest we tie him to the basket and throw rocks at him!!.

Reply #175125 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Julius, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Great player. Best player ever to play in our league - in my opinion. But Coach Smith has to go.

It's time we ran a betting market on this, 'cause I'll put my hard-earned on it.

Reply #175127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Smyth!
Give him one more season. If we have a poor season, then get rid of him.

Reply #175131 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Why it is hard to bet on is that some of the best applicants have other offers/options. So even if Mal picks one to be the best, they may not take it.
Ng - Phil gives him time off to study. Don't spose a new coach would?

Reply #175135 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You lot don't get it do you? This is the sort of garbage that comes out of the Phil-loving media every time his position is questioned.

This is a guy that didn't even know if he WANTED the position until the 11th hour. Now he's playing all the same old tired cards. At least Boti hasn't joined the ranks.....I think he knows he's gone.

Hodge sounds to me like someone who is preparing to play for ANOTHER NBL team, if his NBA chances fall through, and had laid the groundwork for an excuse.

"Sorry Adelaide fans, I know I said I wanted to come back, but I also said I wanted to play for Phil. He's not there and I do have to look after my future. I'm very happy to be a Taipan/Dragon/Bullet".

Phil will not be back.....He must have his head up his butt to think that they're even taken his application seriously. He was given the opportunity to re-apply out of respect for his history, rather than letting him go and embarassing him .... They NEVER intended to actually get him back.

This is a 2 horse race. And, I believe that 1 has been chosen.

Reply #175139 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Well tell us who it is then Dicko! Is it your horse or the other one?

Reply #175145 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Love your work DICKO.

Reply #175148 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dicko you are correct. Typical response from nameless. As soon as it was public knowledge that he had reapplied you just knew there was going to be some bullshit spin from the media instigated by him. However, too little too late. It will not work and Hemmerling has been smart in wriggling out without negative publicity. With nameless's pull in media circles this would have been the major worry on Mal's mind should he (Volde) get the shits. If there is any arcing up now, the ex coach will simply look stupid with sour grapes.

Reply #175154 | Report this post

Morrie  
Years ago

Has anyone thought that Ballinger is waiting to see who the new coach is, not because he WANTS to play for PS, but because he DOESN'T WANT to play for him.

Reply #175155 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

after the chappell incident volde wont be looking to recruit other teams reject imports
There's nothing wrong with picking up imports from other teams - like Ballinger, for example. But they have to perform or be shown the door. If we'd replaced Chappell earlier with any decent import, we *may* have done better. But those of you who are thinking that having Hodge for a whole season makes us a contender need to take a look at our results with him - we went from a sub-.500 team to a barely-.500 team. Whoopdie-damn-doo. Even if you argue we had a tough draw, these were still teams we had to beat to be able to call ourselves a contender, and we didn't necessarily perform against the lesser lights. We lost in Wollongong and at the Gold Coast in "must-win" games to keep our faint playoff hopes alive, and got hammered in Brisbane, *all with Hodge on the team*. While Hodge is great to watch and fills up the stat sheet, and I wouldn't object to him coming back purely for his entertainment value, his presence didn't help the W column too much.

The problems with the team go deeper than playing most of the season with just one import.

Reply #175162 | Report this post

The Stain  
Years ago

What Baldemort's done to S.A basketball is similar to the State Bank Collapse.
He has seriously put us 10 years down the gurglar with his failure to recruit OUR OWN FRIGGIN' LOCAL PLAYERS.

Julius Hodge was a top tier import and was only available during the year as he was sacked mid year. His window to play in Australia was only for 4 months, he won't play in Australia unless he gets European money. Expect him to ask for 500+K

Reply #175167 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lol...isnt it great getting impressions from "witnesses" half the people above watched the interview and yet we have a multitude of differing opinions on what was said or inferred.

Seems to me the question we should be asking is...

Would any of these players NOT play if volde was not the coach?

from what ive read, i dont think that would stop them playing for the 36ers.

Of course these guys support Volde, he has been their coach and unles your a total loser, your team always supports you, even when you are sacked halfway through a season.

Bring in new blood, bring in winner...bring me a chamionship!

Reply #175175 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

"Bring in new blood, bring in winner...bring me a chamionship!"

Yeah yeah sure thing, bring me a championship in about 5 years when our 'new and untried coach' 'develops' a team based on local talent over the next few years, only to see them poached by Goorj for the big bucks in Dragonland, and the lure of playing for the national coach.

All you guys who crap on about local talent are so naive it makes me sick of listening to your whingin'.
Get off the hate train, and let Mal make his decision based on clear judgement of what will get the team going, rather than this bitter twisted 'Phil wont give me a chance' crap. How many of you lot are just pissed off because you are local players who cant get a shot?

Maybe this experience of nearly giving the job away is enough to really spark him into enthusiastic mode again? You know, you dont appreciate what you had until you've lost it. Anyway thats my thoughts.

Reply #175195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mal isnt making his decision based on this site. plus he's already chosen and it isnt phil.

Reply #175203 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

To all the Phil baggers, can you honestly say that the team didn't become exciting after Hodge arrived? Can you not agree that the season ended too soon and would have loved to see what the 36ers could do given more time with Hodge? If we get a full season next season that reflects the last 6 weeks of this past season, wouldn't you want to go for it? I can just see a whole season with Phil & Breheny, Ballinger, Hodge, Maher, Ng plus a good replacement for Dench & Copeland. I would say that is definitely a championship team. The fact that Phil has re applied suggests his heart is still in it. I would sign all these guys to a one season contract only to see how it goes and then decide whether to renew or not. If Hodge and Ballinger both want Phil, then let them decide after all Phil didn't do such a bad job with these 2 players to keep them performing as they did. Phil has also kept Hodge's interest up in returning.

Reply #175207 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC - your reasoning is full of "what ifs?" Stick to the facts. Phil has been rubbish for the last few years. Hodge is a very exciting import who likes Phil. That's it.

The fact that Hodge is an exciting player in the NBL does not change anything IMO. He will play here regardless of the coach if the NBA doesn't call. Supporting Phil is very different from refusing to play if Phil doesn't return. He hasn't said that.

Tad Baldwin or Beveridge for me, with Ninnis as assistant, Rick Castle in development role

Reply #175211 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Phil's heart was in the job we wouldn't even be here talking about this stuff... If he wanted the job his application should of been one of the first, not one of the last.

Tab Baldwin for me as well....

Reply #175214 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Baldwin and Beveridge may not take sixers job if offered due to other offers.

Reply #175233 | Report this post

Why2  
Years ago

"Phil Smyth, who interviewed for the position on Saturday with assistant Steve Breheny,...."

Now this is what shits me. Ex coach can not stand on his own two feet. I thought the position was for head coach, not head coaches. How many other candidates interviewed had the luxury of their sidekick next to them? I would suggest none! I really like my mum, she's taught me a lot as well, but I don't take her into job interviews. Time to grow and become a real coach. Embarassing.

Reply #175239 | Report this post

Why2  
Years ago

Try again....

"Voldemort, who interviewed for the position on Saturday with assistant Steve Breheny,....."

Now this is what shits me. Ex coach cannot stand on his own two feet. I thought the position was for head coach not coaches. How many other candidates had the luxury of their sidekick next to them? I would suggest none! Sheesh, I like my mum as well, she has taught me a lot but I don't take her into interviews with me. Time for the ex coach to grow up and become a real coach.

Reply #175245 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

EC,

If voldemort had sacked chappell, earlier we might have stood a chance.

and thats just ONE reason why Volde must go

Reply #175313 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

me, I don't recall reading anywhere that it was Phil that held onto Chappell. I'm also saying that I value the opinions of Hodge and Ballinger who both played brilliantly under Phil and both support his return.

Reply #175667 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

EC, it's done, you've lost, give it a rest.

Reply #175668 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Phil is...oops..was the coach, he decided how much time Chappell got (he shouldve had the guts and control to sack him as well) at the very least, he couldve stopped giving the clearly unfit/injured guy so much time, maybe try out a young guy or 2?

Reply #175698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754