A elaide 36ers
Years ago

Can he build a program alone: Schueller

Lots of talk about Bear as a coach but he is still in Lovedays shadow. If Loveday had Dusty he would have won. And he built the program and coached and developed these kids thru junior. Self promoter Justen jumped on at the end. Let us see how he does without Dusty for half a season. But he still has a big budget team to cover Dustys lost. This guy has done nothing alone in junior basketball at 3000 clubs. Not a teacher. Who has he alone developed.

Topic #14859 | Report this topic

Asafa  
Years ago

A 36ers...mate u have no idea...tell me which other coach this season or last has had the professionalism of Justin. He had them doing fitness sessions on weekends back in October '06, they had morning sessions, night sessions, video sessions all to get them as prepared as possible and not just to play ABL so they can have an understanding of what they would have to do if they made it to the NBL. And not just for the players, Justin was trying to simulate this as a coach and show other people how professional he was willing to be.

The excuse about Dusty is old news, yes they are mates and he was lucky that he played, but as ive said before the other 4 starters in the final killed their opposing player from Norwood also. This season he has actively gone out and sought out a player in Reardon, to cover the loss of Dusty for half a season and to improve his squad, not settle just because they won, he has improved the squad and now players will be fighting for court time.

He is in no ones shadow and will soon come out to the NBL stage when hopefully Ninnis gets the 6ers job...The rockets are lucky to have such a dedicated bloke to coach the team and bring through their juniors...Budget or no budget, if you dont have the horses you're not gonna win shit, no matter what u wont get a donkey to win the Mebourne Cup, he has positioned himself at a club knowing the quality involved and is now nurturing that and extending those players to go back to back this season. Teams will be struggling to beat them without Dusty so it wont be pretty come half season...

Reply #175298 | Report this post

Flinders 15  
Years ago

"He is in no ones shadow and will soon come out to the NBL stage when hopefully Ninnis gets the 6ers job..."

Why does he need a piggy back to the NBL stage?

Morning session and night sessions? Whole sh!t that's ground breaking stuff. Are you sure your allowed to be giving away such coaching secrets?

Reply #175300 | Report this post

split line  
Years ago

But did he pull the Ricky Simpson 4 hour Sunday sessions?

Reply #175310 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Sorry but all those juniors that were coming through were on the way to being good. Developed by Loveday. I am not saying he can not coach, but had this guy won a junior state championship before he jumped on the Ziggy and Burdon train. It is hard to tell because he was all over the place. Name me one player he has developed that helped this ABL team. If he is the next Phil Jackson, it should not be hard.

Reply #175318 | Report this post

Finbar Saunders  
Years ago

Not sure if Mr Schueller has the pedigree for a top level job - then again I wouldn't know. He does have a championship and that counts.
Love your work A. Loveday is a big loss to SA hoops and deserved to taste more success at the senior level.

Reply #175319 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

36ers he did win a state champs prior too coaching ABL and lost 2 grand finals. his junior teams he has coached have regularly been in top 2 or 3. that and has also won with SASI development squads at Pt Mac.

I have also heard Schueller himself praise Loveday after they won for the efforts he did prior to him.

Its fair to say Loveday couldnt get the best out of the younger guys but Schueller could. This to me is not a knock on either.

Schueller will be in the NBL sooner or later. Its well known that Stacker rates him very highly and has in the past offered him opportunities at NBL level. Ninnis too must think well enough about him to have him involved in the Academy this season.

And at the end of the day results speak for themselves. i saw a game plan in last years grand final that was well thought out and maticulated, praise is deserved there.

Instead of knocking the young guy support him because he is an SA guy and god knows we have lost too many good South Aussies to other places.

I for one hope he does make it and i also hope he shows people how good a coach he is this season in ABL.

Reply #175320 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

The state champ and top three finishes came at North? Were the players and teams already there? That is a question? Not at South, Eastern or Sturt? Not sure if there were any other stops on the way. Like I said he is not a bad coach, but would he have won with wests roster. And no one has named a ABL player that he has developed.

Reply #175321 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

Your point may be correct about being there already but development is continual. i think its fair to say both Zorich and Hambour were much better players under Schueller, and Tom Rowe who i know he has put a lot of time into went from someone who didnt play to a starter in a championship team.

Reply #175322 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

and yes those finishes came at North

Reply #175323 | Report this post

BackTheBear  
Years ago

A elaide 36ers,

My spanner, my spanner coaches don't develop players players do, their peers, their inner x factor, their work ethich etc. etc.

Coaching basketball at ABL level isn't rocket science. Loveday is to be congratulated and so is Scheuller. At the end of the day Scheuller should be congratulated for not loosing. Players win games, coaches loose them.

Let me put like this; how about you say the players won it and Scheuller didn't loose it. THere ya go you don't have to give the too much praise then but acknowledge that he didn't f*ck it up. Now if you look at like that Scheuller was the only coach in the league that f*cked up least. Lets not congratulate him for winning but as you are a pessemistic, negative son of a b*tch lets say well done schueller for not f*cking it up and lets hope you keep not f*cking it up.

Reply #175324 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Temper Temper "BackTheBear"
Like I said he is not a bad coach. You Rockets jump on here and say he is the next Phil Jackson, 36ers Coach or the savior of SA Basketball. You guys put him in the public forum. So instead of getting snotty, answer the questions. No one has yet.

Reply #175326 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think the point is, at 27 years of age he has acheived more than any other coach of that age that I am aware of, has gained the respect of many senior basketball people (Stacker, Ninnis, Dusty etc) and is well on the way to getting an NBL gig at some level, whether that be an assistant or otherwise.

The only other guy who has taken a similar road is Rick Castle. Both guys work extremely hard and live and breath basketball for the benefit of SA basketball, not themselves.

If they do both eventually get an NBL head coaching gig, then they will deserve the oppotunity and the money.

He's 27 for f*cks sake - how could he be any better or committed at this point? There's a question - answer that A elaide 36ers.

Reply #175329 | Report this post

Bargy  
Years ago

Winning a State Championship with a group that didn't lose one over the previous "10 years" is not really an achievement.

And as others have said, walking inot an already developed team, recruiting an NBL Import of note, and winning an ABA title doesn't really count for that much.

By those theories, Marcus Wong, Sharon Symons, Richard Hill and Andy Simons should all be National League coaches next season. Becasue they have all achieved more than Schuller.

Reply #175330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps if Loveday actually played any of these juniors he developed so well in his last year he'd still be there? Instead he went with "older" vets looking for the win.

And if the juniors were "on the way to being good" as you put it, they now must be good as they are ABA Champions, you could say Schuller developed all of them.

Reply #175334 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

good quote by Boti today which shows how good a job Schueller actually did...

"you can buy players but cant buy a championship if chemistry isnt there"

Schueller did a great job of gelling the group,having a system that promoted team play and made them from a rabel to a disciplined group.

The other thing 36ers is you keep going on about development, which senior coaches have had that? by the time of seniors juniors are either good enough to play and get molded as players or they dont.
The job of a senior coach is to win championships, very few like Justin think its to get players ready for the NBL as well.

Reply #175338 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

"He's 27 for f*cks sake - how could he be any better or committed at this point? There's a question - answer that A elaide 36ers."

Go down to Southern and build the program from scratch. Once again what players has he over his coaching career developed? Answer my question please Doc.

Reply #175339 | Report this post

Not there yet  
Years ago

Had Loveday had Dusty the result would've been exactly the same.
And I still rate Loveday over Schuller to this day. In fact I would rate Scott Whitmore over Schuller.

The biggest feather in Schullers cap has been a friendship with a quality American....and this is duly noted by people who make the decisions at the big end of town.

If Schullers mate had've been John Colbertson then he wouldn't be put on a pedestal.

Reply #175346 | Report this post

Diane DeConn  
Years ago

A elaide 36ers,

You said -

"tell me which other coach this season or last has had the professionalism of Justin. He had them doing fitness sessions on weekends back in October '06, they had morning sessions, night sessions, video sessions all to get them as prepared as possible" -

Its the same "attention to detail" that another young coach does down at Sturt...

Reply #175348 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

Reply #175349 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

I think you would find if you asked the players at north who they rate more they would say Schueller. I know this as fact as have spoken to many of them.

Sad that some of you wont give him any credit at all.

Reply #175350 | Report this post

Diane DeConn  
Years ago

sorry 36ers - that post is directed to "Asafa"

Reply #175351 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

That OK. I rate that coach way ahead. He just needs some more NBL player/friends.

Reply #175357 | Report this post

BackTheBear  
Years ago

A elaide 36ers, why should he go to Southern? - he's at North has been there since Loveday (your boy) appointed him. North and Loveday thought it appropriate to appoint Scheuller to this program to extend on their good work and he didn't let them down.

Your little digs on here, I'm sure the little haters like you will just test Bear's resolve, and Scheuller will just keep on winning.

In terms of this: "Like I said he is not a bad coach. You Rockets jump on here and say he is the next Phil Jackson, 36ers Coach or the savior of SA Basketball. You guys put him in the public forum. So instead of getting snotty, answer the questions. No one has yet."

The questions are unanswerable. Playing the game you really develop yourself and its due many factors that really cannot quantified. Have the North boys/men improved since Scheuller took over, from what I have seen yes. Is he solely responsible for this?; no, but neither is Loveday.

Reply #175358 | Report this post

Bargy  
Years ago

thedocter,

1/ He could head coach a State team to a medal.

2/ He could head coach an U14 team to a Medal at Nationals.

3/ He could win a State Junior Championship with a group that never won before.

4/ He could become a JDO at a club and develop them to Overall Club Champions.

5/ He could be involved with the development of players from a young age all the way up to their higher level, rather than taking 19 year olds who have had numerous other coaches devlop them, and claim that he is a great coach because they are achieving now.

Reply #175361 | Report this post

Diane DeConn  
Years ago

36ers,

I think they are BOTH really good young coaches...just wanted to clarify that scouting, individuals and putting a ton of time into your ABL program isnt *only* being done at North.

Also, look out for the work that Whitmore is doing up at Centrals - has a team of hard working "gun slingers" which should be fun to watch!

Reply #175362 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

BackTheBear, this point from Bargy is my point.

Bargy said it better:
"5/ He could be involved with the development of players from a young age all the way up to their higher level, rather than taking 19 year olds who have had numerous other coaches devlop them, and claim that he is a great coach because they are achieving now."

If you change clubs as often as underwear you are likely to get lucky and fall into a good situation.

Reply #175365 | Report this post

known  
Years ago

He is coaching director at North and has had heavy involvement since coming to North 4 years ago.
He works with all juniors in the club from under 10's through to seniors.
Agreed one day they will say the work that Justin did helped give the head coach of ABL at that time success, but that shouldnt take away the good work by that head coach at the time.

Good junior coaches dont guarantee good Senior coaches. Scott Butler is a great example of this, maybe the best junior coach but struggled as a senior coach with very talented teams. i think Loveday fits this category as well.

If the guy is a good senior coach then that will mean he will be a valuable asset at the next level.
He has all of what NBL coaches would want as part of their staff and i would hope if and when it happens people support him and not try and pretend he doesnt deserve the shot.

Reply #175368 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

I won´t pretend. I´ll say it. One year with a team with the best import is ok. Lets see how he does over time. And I think people are trying to say that he has combined a weak junior resume with many clubs with a championship with Dusty.

Reply #175371 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isn't his academy involvement evidence of commitment to developing young players? And how would developing a program at Southern give any indication of NBL credentials? Coaching an U/14 team to a national championship has no relevance at all to the NBL.

I think it's a case of bagging someone for the sake of it. When has Justine ever claimed he has acheived anything but making the most of opportunities and working hard to improve his coaching and the players he is working with AT THAT POINT IN TIME?

I respect his commitment and obvious passion for the game. Do I think he should get an NBL head coaching gig? Probably not at this point in time, but I's be surprised if Justin thought that himself.

And A elaide 36ers - the question I think you asked was, who has he alone developed? I'm not an expert on his coaching history in its entirety, but I don't think any player can say that any one coach developed them. Players are influenced by many coaches/players over time. All a coach can do is influence them positively whilst that player is under their influence.

Does Justin do that? I would say yes, he does. Or certainly does his best and works hard to give himself the best chance of doing so. That's all he can do.

So your biggest criticism is that he changes clubs too often? Not an issue IMO. He's a South junior, and no one would want to hand around there for long! :)

Reply #175373 | Report this post

Ego...  
Years ago

Oh my god....This is just stupid.

Reply #175389 | Report this post

Score Update  
Years ago

doctor 1, A 36ers 0.

Reply #175390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These hypothetical arguments are rubbish. Who can say what happened if x was coaching instead of Justin. Would the same results occur or not. You need to look at what actually occurs.

1. He wins an ABA championship with an NBL player. He coached against an NBL assistant coach in the final, after losing ealier in the finals to them and outcoached him. And Norwood are not bereft of talent.

2. He is dedicated to basketball - he is approachable and works with all age groups. Get out and see he interacts with 5yos up through to NBL players.

3. His communication and teaching is clear and is transferred to the "students" at an appropriate age level.

Sounds to me that we have a lot of jealous people out there.

We complain about how basketball is fairing in this state but when good things happen we are quick to have a go at them.

I am pleased that my sons are benefiting from his talents - they are better basketballers for it and I know they will be even better longer term.

Reply #175408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 - Not a fair comparision. Sapwell is a rubbish coach (IMO only). He's got talent galore and until that season did nothing with them!
2 - dedication is a fantastic quality, but does it make for a good coach? (that doesn't read right, dedication is only one of many attributes that makes for a good coach, does he posses the others)?
3 - great. But have his 'students' already been educated and he's merely repeating a prior lesson?

personally, i reckon he's a great guy to have involved with baksetball due to his passion and love for the game, which can't be argued - and i think A 36ers agrees, but is he getting more credit than he's

Reply #175415 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Actually The Doctor, I am pretty sure he was an Adelaide Southern Suns/Southern Districts Junior, before moving to South!

Best thing he ever did, was get away from Coaching U16 Girls, a good game Coach just not mature enough (at the time) to cope with 14 & 15 year old girls (and especially their parents!!!)

Reply #175420 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Does anyone remember the years he was at the other clubs??? Did he go to Eastern when they had Jacob and won, then when he left went to Sturt because they were likely to win, then took over a good young team at North not long after they lost the GF? Seems to me like he just keeps on jumping onto successful teams and taking credit for it!
I remember the day when he was playing and he asked me how to work on his foot speed...my words of wisdom must have really hit home with him to one day become the coach he is today! ;)

Reply #175425 | Report this post

Bargy  
Years ago

known,

Given the current demise of the North junior program, I wouldn't be claiming his involvment as a feather in his cap.

14 Girls 3 and 12 Girls 3 as the only GF winning teams in the club. Can't think over the last 4 years when North performed worse. Especially when there was only 3 other teams in GF's.

Reply #175440 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

And the former coach took them to the final twice (i think) and help build the program that gave these players the chance to make it to ABL. Good when you can have both.

Reply #175448 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

Bargy, he only became coaching director late last year and i can say that the kids that he has been working with (mine for one) has improved quite a bit in this time. The problem the club had was there was a period where people were paid to do the job and didnt. Justin is the first signs of things improving.

Reply #175456 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

You mean the time when they were winning all those state championships. That time parent.

Reply #175461 | Report this post

A 36ers = troll  
Years ago

A 36ers,
Are you going to reply to the doctors well-made points?
Or are you admitting you have nothing credible to base this on and are just going to anonymously snipe?

Reply #175544 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Sorry what should I say. He jumped on at the end of a development process and got a NBL player as well. No one has said who he has developed or influenced at his 3000 stops. These 19 year olds had already shown they were going to be good for 10 years. And now he is in charge of a weak junior program going nowhere.

Reply #175555 | Report this post

Good thing  
Years ago

A 36ers you just sound like a jealous tool.
The guy is going places and your going to your laptop.
Best of luck Bear, the majority of people are behind you!

Reply #175558 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

What tool am I?? Name calling is great but no one comes back with facts. No one can back up an argument with facts. Last year he struggled to win without Dusty.

Reply #175567 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

A elaide 36ers - Isnt that what an NBL coach is actually supposed to do....jump on the end of a develpoment process and mould a group of established players into a cohesive unit on the floor and have them play as a team. Utilising and playing to their individual skills and covering and working on any deficiencies? For me the idea that an NBL coach has to develop all their players is overstated. Sure players all have areas they can work on but the mere fact they are in an NBL team should mean their game has been developed over the years to the point they can compete at the highest level. What they need then is a coach who can manage the group and get t he best out of them so that the team is better than the sum of its parts.

It seems that even the detractors of Schuller are saying that this is what he has actually done so wouldnt that make him an ideal candidate for a shot at the top level at some stage in the future?

Reply #175577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A elaide 36ers,

Your arguments are all hypothetical what would be etc etc. I think we leave it to the experts to decide.

Unless you are an NBL calibre coach or player I pay much more credence to their opinions of Justin. And as said earlier in this thread he obviously has respect at that level.

So 36ers, crawl back into your hole - anyone can bag someone trying to achieve things but not many do try to achieve. I suspect you are one of those pathetic persons too gutless to try anything

Reply #175610 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Ninnis = friend. Stacker worked with Ninnis. Dusty = friend. What other NBL coaches?? You guys do not answer many questions.

Reply #175731 | Report this post

2 more  
Years ago

Andrej Lemanis and Bruce Palmer are 2 more names you can add to the list. have spoken to both and they both mentioned Justin as an up coming talent at the next level.

Reply #175735 | Report this post

Professional  
Years ago

Do you really think people are going to post a list of people here as you have, ya tool

Get in the real world and talk to people. I can assure there are more players and coaches in the league and the states that maintain a professional relationship with him.

You seem a little obsessed with young Scheuller. You must have a dart board with Scheuller's face on it, or a private room full photos of him which have been defaced by you, do you sneak into his house and plant pins in his bed. Rather than spending all your time analysing him why dont you just go practice your darts? Get good at that at least because you must clearly suck at life to try and put a man like scheuller down. Do it son, do it!

Reply #175736 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Not hard to wind up a Rocket. Like I said, 1 year winning with Dusty + Lovedays crew and what else. You guys attack back at me but do not answer any question.

Reply #175738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754