raytri
Years ago

36er's... All quiet on the western front

Old Coach, new coach, what's happening. I thought there was going to be an announcement this week, anyone heard anything?

Topic #14865 | Report this topic

S Hooper  
Years ago

Agreed this is quite frustrating, im sure the players more than anyone would love to know what was going on!

Reply #175341 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The week is still in progress!

Could be that they've made an offer to someone, given a deadline for a decision and they're waiting on the reply?

Reply #175343 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's because the one or one's that are good, that Mal & co. want have other offers to consider and will let them know if they want the sixers job or not.

Reply #175344 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

If that is the case would their indecision on whether they want to coach the team or not be similar to Phil taking a whie to decide if he wants to coach again?

Surely if we have offered the job to someone and they have said "ill think about it and get back to you" it is not a good sign

Reply #175347 | Report this post

S Hooper  
Years ago

Is Bevo after the Kings job now?

Reply #175352 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I guess that means bevo is probably the choice if needing time to decide or other offers, what other jobs are available??? not very many in the NBL just ours, maybe West Sydney and maybe Sydney as Dragons will be Goorj by the looks of it.
I also would guess if the job was offered to Ninnis he would sign on straight away, as you would think the 36ers would be his number 1 club to coach

Reply #175353 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I agree with you MS
We could be signing players now.

Reply #175354 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I'd say if Phil and Co were offered the job they would accept immediately, seeing that they have already decided a come-back, so I'm assuming that the reply would be for a new party accepting the pay offer. I hope.

Reply #175356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MS, it means they're in demand enough to be considering other offers not that they're deciding whether they want to keep coaching at all.

Reply #175363 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Would the Sixers be happy if they are now in a position where they have selected a candidate and offered the job only to find out that the candidate is looking elsewhere and hoping a better offer comes along?

Reply #175364 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Could be that an offer has been made, but need to wait and find out if we will have enough money next season to pay them our initial offer....

Reply #175366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not hoping, just seeing if there is a better offer. You want to keep Maher, right? He held out for a better offer and fielded an offer from another team. Ballinger would field approaches from other teams. Hodge is out there trying to get a higher-paying gig, but everyone wants him back. This is what happens when you want to employee someone likely to be in demand.

Reply #175370 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Its probably in the Offer/Counter Offer stage and the rest are in the wings incase the prefered one can't reach an agreement re terms and $

Reply #175372 | Report this post

New Name  
Years ago

If Paul Bell is representing Ninnis there is now way he will get the job as Mal hates Paul.

Reply #175374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal is a businessman though.
If he does 'hate paul' as you claim, then he'd just call up Ninnis and say -

"hey champ, wanna coach my team? Tell me how much you think is fair, and i'll pay you 10% more than that to save having to deal with an agent."

Reply #175380 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

i know for a fact the coach of this year has cleaned out his office and that it IS a two horse race between Beveridge and Ninnis!!

Reply #175402 | Report this post

S Hooper  
Years ago

so make a call already and get on with it. Both are great candidates, just decide so we can get players and make a move to winning again.

Reply #175404 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

If Ninnis is the coach I will have to seriously consider whether I will renew the season tickets I have held for 23 years.

I believe a Ninnis appointment would be a retrograde step.

Reply #175429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so, not a "true fan" then?

Reply #175434 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Surely you would give it one more year Bake? You'd feel a bit foolish if he did a great job and got the results. I personally think he will, sure he'll make some mistakes as all coaches do. But to write him off before the first ball is bounced is a bit premature. After 23 years what is one more?

Reply #175435 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Personally I'd prefer someone with proven statistics.
I'm still hoping for Baldwin and maybe consider Ninnis as assistant.

Reply #175446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Baldwin has recently accepted a position in Europe, so is not an option.

Reply #175453 | Report this post

Number21  
Years ago

Looks like Ninnis won't be the coach...

Reply #175454 | Report this post

S Hooper  
Years ago

Still not sure about the love of Beveridge?

Reply #175457 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Well you all know who gets my vote. ;)

Reply #175462 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Cheers Dana, thanks for clearing that up.

Reply #175470 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"If Ninnis is the coach I will have to seriously consider whether I will renew the season tickets I have held for 23 years. "

That's a ridiculous thing to say Bake. You're obviously a massive fan of the club and for whatever reason have strong negative feelings about Ninnis but to write him off before he's had a chance to show what he brings to the table is preposterous.

Reply #175515 | Report this post

Pasadena 14  
Years ago

What happens if we fail to make play-offs with the new coach next year? Whoever is coaching better do a damn good job of it or crowds will plummet.

Reply #175517 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I remember Ninnis as a player, great in the open court, token defence and missing when the action became hot. I also question his coaching experience. Two titles in the State League with a stacked team and as second assistant at Adelaide, part of an unsuccessfull team at Townsville and sacked at the Dragons.

I know that Phil S had no coaching experience before he took the position at the 36ers, but he had a long and successfull career in both the NBL and National teams.

I also said that I would have to seriously consider renewal of my season tickets. As any addict knows it is hard to cure an addiction. I just feel that appointing Ninnis could be the first step.

Reply #175535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thought you were more committed bake. :(

Reply #175565 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

with an addiction like that he may well need to be ..

Reply #175570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754