cats wax
Years ago

Theories on Cal Bruton

Firstly let me say i like Cal and would like to see him back in the league. But opions on him personaly aside, i would like to know why others think he isnt in and why he only gets shorts gigs and is used as a gap filler? What are his short comings as a coach or what do people think are his advantages ??

I think the league needs him in some capacity even if its in head office to help run or promote the game. He knows too much and can do too much to not be involved.

Your thoughts ???

Topic #14918 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like Cal Bruton also. I think he has a great basketball brain and knowledge of the NBL. He's also a great character. I also don't understand why his stints are short.

Bring him back into the NBL in some sort of capacity. The league needs the man.

Reply #176037 | Report this post

Cal the Smell  
Years ago

Ask any past player or past administrator that has been under Cal and you will be told in no uncertain terms exactly why he shouldn't be back in the league.

And as a person who was one of the two above if you see Cal, tell him to go F@ck Himself.

Cats Wax & Champs33, you(and have many) have fallen for the original Smoke & Mirrors.

Reply #176042 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

A lot of people post threads with regards to Brian Goorjian and clubs losing money/going broke when he's there.
Take a look at Cal's record at the club's he's been involved with. Suggestions are that he was the cause of these teams demise.
The Geelong Supercats went broke.
The Canberra Cannons went broke and folded.
The Newcastle Falcons went broke and folded.
Cal was a great player (I still recall the game against St Kilda at Apollo where he scored 50 points), but, he has a reputation for looking after No1 to the detriment of teams he's involved with.
Maybe that's why he hans't got a job in the NBL.

Reply #176047 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Fair enough. I appreciate the info. He was certainly a good player and I've probably hoped the same goes with the coaching etc.

Fair points at his risk level and why he shouldn't.

Reply #176049 | Report this post

Brand  
Years ago

Was pretty ordinary when CJ Bruton was getting paid 250,000 per year during the Cannons final seasons.
Considering they were paying only about 700,000 of the cap. It is that sought of nepotism and shortsightedness that haunts Cal. He also has that bling American culture which doesn't really fit in with Aussie basketball.

Sure he has a great history as a player but you would not get him involved as a coach or n administrator.

Reply #176058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone that I know well played in one of those teams that went broke.

They announced to the players the club was folding but all players needed to honour their contracts. One of the players got a gig elsewhere in the meantime and told Cal. He arrived to his home that the club supplied to find his gear being cleared out and all clothing and equipment provided by the club been taken.

Reply #176071 | Report this post

cats wax  
Years ago

Interesting thoughts there "calthesmell". I have in fact played for cal myself and i am still asking the question. As i did say i was hoping for some real non biased possible reasons for him not being involved with the league. I know the guy reasonably well and i like him but that doesnt make him a good coach. Neither does you clearly not liking him make him a bad one. Thanks to the other contructive replies.

Reply #176094 | Report this post

Clint Dogg  
Years ago

He is a RORTER, worse than Butch Hayes or Jef Blandon, same mould.

Shove his "Do It Fluid" up his ass, cause he stole that word/idea too.

CJ need 2 relize, that he will be balded like his dad 1 day, and to "live it up" while he can with his crazy hair doos, cause he will be balder than me 1 day.

Reply #176666 | Report this post

just_the_facts  
Years ago

Anon 12,

Geelong Supercats did not "Go Broke", as a matter of fact they had a quarter of the debt of the then SE Melb Magic when they left the NBL after 1996. Geelong was excluded from the NBL due to a FTA TV rights deal that excluded the regionals Geelong, Hobart and Gold Coast. Of these, only Hobart were non-financial at the time.
Cal Bruton was a player for Geelong Cats (they wern't "Super" until 1989) from 1981 to 1984 and was player/coach in his last two seasons.
Despite what others have said here, he can hardly be blamed for the Supercats leaving the NBL, which occured 12 years after he left.

Reply #176685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally Cal is A great guy and clearly puts back into the community. The stories of Cal are legendary as a Player and his off field roles are probably even more legendary.

Reply #747915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine Cal's coaching techniques today are 20th Century.

Reply #747917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754