jokker
Years ago

Holmes deal nearly done

Jacob Holmes is done with the 36ers apparently doesnt like Dragons new coach they dont get on.Also 36ers offered him more $$$ the Dragons have plenty but down graded his offer for next season Bauer apparently offering him the captains job after next season.Is this a great recruit for us or could we get better because he isnt coming cheap?

Topic #14928 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure, is a good player, great rebounder but just how much coin?

Reply #176144 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be a good move. Just won MVP at the Dragons with a steady season amidst their turmoil. Gives us an option for the captaincy after Maher and a strong forward to pair with Ballinger if they can keep him.

Reply #176149 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

I just wish he could shoot like Ballinger.

There was a great photo in the Advertiser a few weeks ago of Balinger's release just as the ball was leaving his fingers on a jump shot, absolutely textboook.

Maybe Ballinger can give him some guidence.

Reply #176154 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

This is a very solid signing if true. Jacob is an excellent rebounder and we especially missed his offensive rebounding in the past 2 seasons. He also has great endurance and is another solid interior defender.

Reply #176157 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

How can Bauer promise the captaincy when the coach hasn't been consulted? ...or has he???

Reply #176165 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

how can they sign players without a coach

Reply #176166 | Report this post

done deal  
Years ago

haha, who is to say that they have not signed a coach and keeping it within house for now

Reply #176170 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

In the Know
Why do you necessarily need a coach to buy players?
If you wait for the new coach you may miss out on a classy player (which people have complained about previously on this site).

kad
Why does the coach have to anoint the captain? Other sports make a corporate decision on captain's.

Can understand if Jacob doesn't like Molloy - the guy is an obnoxious little weed with limited coaching skills.

Reply #176172 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hehe, probably the worst kept secret ever at the moment!

Reply #176173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can sign players without a coach, its just not ideal. Do you wait for the coach to sign before you resign ballinger?

Reply #176174 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

Awesome if true. I wanted Holmes to sign as he gives our front line versatility. If we can keep hodge, we would possibly have the best front-line in the league.

Reply #176178 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

is this thread legit with Holmes looking to come home?? i bloody well hope so. its just the first i've heard.

Reply #176181 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hodge may be a little expensive.

Reply #176182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dave thomas an option? tigers were said to look at hodge, maybe we could swap if hodge is out of our price range.

Reply #176185 | Report this post

Sherlock...  
Years ago

This thread is based on nothing but speculation at the moment. No deal is done.

Reply #176187 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Congrats Sherlock... we may as well shut down the website, 95% of what is said here is speculation

Reply #176192 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It will be at least a fortnight before anything would be done anyway.

Reply #176193 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst Holmes a good plyr not in Ballinger class and he is Aust mid next season . would rather give him a offer he cant refuse and capt.to base team around as did with Brett to do most scoring. remember Holmes left us and isnt a huge scorer, so wouldnt want to spent too much of salary cap on if keep Ballinger and later on 2 imports. Saving money on coaching doesnt help with salary cap. Having ninnis as coach isnt going to help in that area and you would probably need a experienced ass. coach to assist Scotty.poss. from interstate to get the finger on pulse all around aust. etc at last. Why did Holmes leave was it coach or money.

Reply #176198 | Report this post

yes jacob left Adelaide cos of the coach but also a chance to develop too.
He is looking to come back but i believe is waiting to see who the coaches for both dragons and sixers are.
As it seems it is Ninnis its fair to say this is going a long way to getting him back.

Reply #176202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 176172 Harsh words for someone of Molloy's ilk. I am sure you have first hand experience cause if you don't you are just like the rest of the tossers who bag coaches from the stands.

Wannabe's with no comittment.

Reply #176246 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Ninnis coaching should help us get Jacob back shouldnt it??? im pretty sure it was said it was Ninnis who recruited him to the Dragons.
Heres hoping we can get him back and Ninnis can put together a good team with a good core of SA players, with Richard Hill being approached to be his assistant it would have to help us get Brad back also, who i think would be a good sigining as a back up 2/3 providing he is over his injuries, bringing jacob and Brad back would give us a couple of decent SA boys to build the team on over the next few years along with Ng, Ballinger,Maher, Davidson and Hodge if we can keep all of them.

Ballinger/Cooper
Holmes/Dodman
Hodge/Hill
Maher/Ng
Davidson/Kersten

I think that would be decent with 6 SA born players in the 10 with all except Maher under around 25 years old, if we could add a 3rd import or a Schenscher or Newley to that it would be a bonus!

Reply #176248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Jacob will rebound in Adelaide

Reply #176250 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

I cannot see Jake leaving the South Dragons whilst there is a chance Brian Goorjian could coach them next year.

Unless he is told to find a new club he would be mental to leave that program if the Boomers coach is going to join.

Reply #176290 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Holmes to come home for Ninnis? Maybe , maybe not.

But he would come home for Richard Hill.

Reply #176294 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Jacob is good enough for the Boomers, he will get there regardless of whether he plays for Goorjian.

Reply #176325 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I don't think he will stay now Volde is flying South

Reply #176327 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fill, he went to South and Richard Hill wasn't coaching.

It appears that Goorjian is far from a lock to go to the Dragons (as was suggested last week) - looks like he'll stay on at the Kings I think.

Reply #176361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jokker, Jacob is leaving because he doesn't like the new Dragons coach (who is yet to be officially appointed), you claim? Could you please shed some light as to who this is? Molloy, Stacker....?

Reply #176404 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754