Joe M
Years ago

Underage players outside the NBL system.

Are there any legitimate underage players currently at the AIS the Sixer (or now Scottie Ninnis) should be looking at?

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the local players but the Sixer need some young starts and unless you have gone to the AIS or college in the states the chances of you being a star would be zero.

So who are the kids we should be looking at?

Steven Weigh is available as he no longer goes to the University of Utah.
Aaron Bruce will not get drafted to the NBA so he may be an option, but I assume he would go to the South Dragons
Martin Iti would be a good pick up as a back up big man.

Topic #14937 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

jason williams was never ais or college... he made it, so bit of a stupid thing to say really, not to mention other young people on the bench havent done either the ais or college aswell.

Reply #176298 | Report this post

Bucky  
Years ago

The sixers could do no worse than look at signing up Weigh (although Townsville or Cairns are frontrunners), Aleks Maric should be high on the priorty list (although NBA or Europe is more likely), and Aaron Bruce (likely to go to a Melb club) should be chased. They are some of the best young talent going around for next season.
Holmes is a goer, but the sixers need a quality import to replace Hodge as he won't be back.

Reply #176318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

176298, Joe did say "star". Jason had some serviceable years but wasn't a major contributor at NBL level.

I think Weigh is heading to Brisbane, but it'd probably be worth a go chasing him regardless? The Bullets are likely to shift on Williamson and teams could probably do worse looking for a guy to come off the bench?

Reply #176360 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

LOL, Jason Williams was a good bench player and had some serviceable moments in the NBL but he definitely was no star.

Brett Maher is a star; Mark Worthington is going to be, if not already a star; Joe Ingles and Brad Newly were stars straight out of the AIS. Jason Williams was a bench player but comparing that to a star, he was like a deer stuck in headlights, he was too afraid to do anything.

When Phil was coach the, major grip was he didn't scout the AIS or college for players, judging from the responses to this thread it doesn't seem to be a problem now. So Scottie is going to be exempt from this part of the game as well?

Is there anyone available at the AIS or college we should be looking at?

Reply #176385 | Report this post

William 41  
Years ago

I've been to quite a few Nationals tournaments, and i've seen the likes of Gordie McLeod, Ian Stacker, (Cairns coach, don't know his name)(Mod: Gleeson) all there scouting, and not once, not even when the tourny was in Adelaide did i spot Fill or Steeve there?

Hopefully with his time under Stacker, Ninnis has picked up a thing or two about scouting young talent (ya'll remember our biggest off-season signing, and his entry into the league?), and will be pro-active, Boy-goorj style instead of reactive, Fill style (Chappell - Hodge).

Reply #176389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not really enough responses yet to draw that opinion Joe!

Here's the current crop of AIS players. Ninnis would be familiar, obviously, with Claybrin McMath, from Sturt/SA.

I don't know anything about the others there though I'd bet Ninnis and Co have seen them at U20s Nationals, and so on. Anyone else know more?

Beyond that, I know that the club have a list of upcoming targets, where they are in college, when they're likely to finish up, etc. There are a lot more Australians playing over there than I think some would realise.

Reply #176392 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Looking long term, Marcus Ng would be a possible, McMath also and what about Harry Harvey?
I'd also look at Will McFee from NSW although he will prob head to College ball.

Reply #176406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754