Anonymous
Years ago

Who is Richard Hill?

For those of us that dont know, who is he, where did he come from and what are his credentials?

Topic #14948 | Report this topic

WhatIKnow  
Years ago

From what I know, he come from a football background having been an assistant coach at SANFL level.

He got into basketball because of his son and ended up coaching Eastern to an ABL title a couple of yrs ago. Has been head coach of U20 State team for the past few yrs and had some success at that level too.

He seems to have overachieved as a coach at any level he has coached at.

Reply #176415 | Report this post

Trevor 91  
Years ago

You can view his professional profile on the MVP Sports Website.

Some of Richards achievements include being part of a league football premiership with the Sturt football club, coaching 4 different football clubs to a total of 8 senior premierships, coaching the Eastern Mavericks Basketball club to the 2004 ABL championship, being named ABL coach of the year in 2005 and coaching SA under 20 men to the gold medal game in the 2006 National Championships.

Reply #176416 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Coached the Eastern Mavs ABL men's team (not currently) for a few years, including an ABL title with Holmes in 04. Also coaches the SA U20 mens team at nationals for the past few years.

That's his recent history, at least.

(Edit: Wow, I'm slow)

Reply #176417 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

Is there a conflict of interest with his current player agent job and being an assistant.

Reply #176419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wont be managing any NBL players any more due to his appointment.

Reply #176422 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Is he appointed ?
(His profile is good and Scotty has asked him to assist) Is it official now.

Reply #176432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard has also donated his time, free of any charge to a number of players across many clubs in individual sessions. He goes out of his way to help and develop and motivate.

Reply #176456 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Absolute champion bloke , brilliant communicator and as stated above always happy to give up his time and knowledge if any are interested .
Will be great for the developmental players and really strengthens the club accross the board , i would say we will now be a desirable team to come to for young guys looking to further career but also improve .
We will also be able to retain any young standouts that may have previously how shall we say , slipped thru the net .

Reply #176465 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Very diplomatic!

Reply #176474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard Hill is the best thing to ever happen to the 36ers

Reply #176482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

richard hill is a top bloke has help me good luck

Reply #176496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are the last three posts by the same person?

Reply #176503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard has helped myself through the ranks free of charge and through his own time often driving miles and miles at unusual times to help, greay bloke, great appointment!!!!
And no this is not the same person as the one above!! Congratulations Richard
Well Done 36ers

Reply #176510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two different people. There was two posts that were clearly an accidental double post and I have removed one of them.

Reply #176511 | Report this post

bb  
Years ago

Richards team last season finished on the bottom of the ladder i think, how does this work with professional coaching job the year after?

Reply #176541 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

bbbecause he had doodle all to work with .

Reply #176548 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

great bloke, knows what he is talking about, and unlike many other coaches, doesn't ASK for the respect, he earns it, and most certainly has my respect

Reply #176575 | Report this post

ha  
Years ago

BB stand for Bear Basketball????????ha

Reply #176587 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

RICHARD HILL = MAVERICKS = JACOB HOLMES = 36ERS

Reply #176588 | Report this post

bakedbeanhead  
Years ago

Good on you hilly, All the best. Hilly is a fantastic development coach. He puts in countless hours working on skills.

Reply #176595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rotate on this, and no slur on richard, but your, because he "had doodle all to work with" suggests that all those coaches from the bottom teams are as good as all the coaches from the top teams - not possible is it?

Reply #176597 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

176597 - Did i say anything remotely like that you clown .

I was responding to the comment above " Richards team last season finished on the bottom of the ladder i think, how does this work with professional coaching job the year after?" to which my answer was the likes of they did not have the cattle , I think Richards multitude of success accross different sports and leagues as a player and most importantly a coach carry more weight than a down season with a mediocre team.

And how that manifests it self to your wonderful yet infant like analogy shows how limited your insight truly is .

Reply #176631 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Is Richard Hill the coach related to Brad Hill the player?

Reply #176644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Richard is Brad's father.

Reply #176646 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

not to mention with Richard's contacts with the younger players, and also the willingness to help them along, will allow Scott to focus more on the core group of the team. Would be a good decision to put Hill as the assistant

Reply #176648 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Who do you think should get the other assistant role guys?

KB and Sap get bought up all of the time....anyone else?

Reply #176658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Liam Flynn would be another option.

I'd be surprised to see it come from outside of Schueller, Sapwell or Flynn, as a guess.

Reply #176664 | Report this post

Ol School  
Years ago

It needs to be someone who has never been involved with the previous coaching era so that is a fresh start.

It should be Schueller.

Has worked with Hill over the past 3 years with 20's state. Has worked with Ninnis at Academy as his assistant last year but has had a working relationship for many years now and is also respected with in the league. (i believe if Stacker gets the Dragons job he will be offered a spot there too)

Has knowledge of young talent coming through not to mention his work ethic and commitment over a lengthy period of time with athletes through individuals etc.

Has shown that he can coach talent after his ABL title last year and to my knowledge is connected with many NBL players across the league.

Many seem to want to bag him on here, but i think someone young and enthusiastic is needed for this position. I havent had anything directly to do with him, but when talking to people at the next level they do rate him. Seems the logical choice with the already strong relationship between the three as well.

Reply #176668 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Richard Hill was at the press conference as the assistant coach. One TV News coverage mentioned Chris Lucas as one that Ninnis may go for?

Reply #177093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754