Isaac
Years ago

Funny Ninnis announced as 36ers Head Coach

Here's the official announcement, with a press conference to come on Friday.

The Adelaide 36ers can officially announce that they have appointed former Championship Player and Assistant Coach, Scott Ninnis, as the new Head Coach of the Club.

More details: Scott Ninnis appointed Head Coach

Looks like a three year contract.

Topic #14950 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Good move by the club IMO. Hopefully fans will give him and the team some time.

Reply #176437 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Am I the only one who is not so sure about this appointment? I mean.. Ninnis is a champ... but should we have appointed someone with more in the way of proven head coach experience? (though .. Gotta start somewhere I guess).

Hope he rises to the challenge - best of luck Speedy. I hope yuu made friends with Hodge before he left for the US ;-)

Reply #176442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only thing i dont like is the way it leaked out into the media and kinda spoiled his announcment.

Reply #176443 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

ShaneD,

What was Phil's senior NBL Coaching experience when he was appointed?
How many seasons was he Senior Coach before winning a Championship?

Answers - Zero & One

enough said.

Good Luck Scott and the rest of your Coaching team.

Reply #176445 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Supposedly Phil was on 5AA last night talking to KG & Cornesy and said he would be contacting Hodge and reccommending him to re-sign with Adelaide.

Reply #176446 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The players surely have to be told first, before the media, and with only three players signed, it would be a matter of urgency. Just lost a day as the owner was away, but all is done now.

Reply #176447 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Will the assistants be named? I hear Hill has been approached, but what about a 2nd assistant? Would Sapwell or Brooks be a go? FWIW I'd love to see KB back.

Reply #176450 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

This is a bolt out of the blue, no one saw this coming.

Reply #176458 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

pretty confident the players had been told before it was leaked. well speaking to one of the Academy lads - they knew late Mon/early Tues that Scotty had been appointed. Good luck to him, and i wish him all the best for the next 3years. I'm right behind this team now. i'm rejuvenated and excited with butterflies!!

Reply #176462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard Hill is the best thing to ever happen to the 36ers

Reply #176483 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

If you're really quiet, you can hear both Dana and LC crying....

Reply #176484 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Can anyone who is familiar with Scott as coach tell me what kind of offense he prefers? Will it be a massive departure from the Sixers we have seen under he who shall not be named.

Reply #176485 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yep, they will actually train like an NBL team.

Reply #176487 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Sorry to disappoint you twenty four. I will still support the team, no matter who coaches and will still support them even if they don't make the finals. Same can't be said for everyone.

Reply #176488 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

kad, hard to say, but it was suggested to me that the defensive end could see a lot more attention. The offense could well be kept similar to the existing sets with tweaks and improvements perhaps.

Reply #176494 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Cat 15 - KB? Are you serious? Sapwell has shown a lot more enthusiasm towards the AC job than what Brooks did.......

You only have to look at Time-Outs for example....After a TO called, in typical Phil & Steve style, they got up and went onto the court for about 30 secs or so, KB just used to sit on the white plastic chair with his fist under his jaw like he didn't want to be there.....

Sapwell got up and joined Phil & Steve for their little meeting and looked to show some input....

Sapwell for AC for me!

Reply #176499 | Report this post

Beam me up  
Years ago

A coach who did the pre season for the DRAGONS. Like I said, how did that work out!! Ninnis had a lot to say about Smith behind his back and behind the scenes. Welcome to the hot seat Snotty. Can he recruit the best players from other clubs as he did to get his ABL championships. Think not. Bottom. One year. Over.

Reply #176520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

once they got rid of price and the dud import they ended up beating the 36ers to the playoffs despite giving up the 0-6 headstart.

try again caveman.

Reply #176524 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Corey you are dead right. Except that KB had the sense to realise his input wasn't welcomed. I know for a fact that Sap was actually told mid way through the season that if they wanted his ideas they would ask! Apparently they got sick of him presenting his ideas!! How ridiculous is that? That is why KB stayed put. Don't use that as a basis for his worth.

Reply #176527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can being a complete idiot get you banned here...?

"Welcome to the hot seat Snotty. Can he recruit the best players from other clubs as he did to get his ABL championships. Think not. Bottom. One year. Over."

Adelaide Crows, Neil Craig, Assistant Coach turned head coach, got them top.

All coaches start some where, and Ninnis has coaching experience with three different clubs and help lure Newley to Townsvile and Holmes/Ingles to the Dragons.

Some crap coach huh?

Reply #176533 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

We should have hired Dill Smith heard he was really keen and had heaps of new formulas in his pockets .

Reply #176549 | Report this post

Caveman  
Years ago

Only won at Sturt because he recruited players from other clubs with dreams of 36ers stardom. Hence the Sturt Sixers name started. What can he offer in the NBL. Play for me I was sacked by the dragons.

Reply #176554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hilarious. you're complaining that he recruited players from other clubs (then won the championship and coach of the year). on the other hand asking how he could possibly go about recruiting. what's it to be?

remind me who he had in the championship team at sturt?

Reply #176556 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Dana, once again i congratulate your support of the club, like all 36ers fans..im sure we all hope Scotty brings a championship.

Reply #176562 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Obviously there are 2 sides to the coin, but let the guy coach a few games before you shoot him down FFS!

Who cares if he RECRIUTED other players to win a championship.. Along with not playing juniors/newbies, isn't that what everyone has bagged Phil for!!

Reply #176604 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hes got a 3 year deal, i know i will reserve my judgment until recruitment occurs and once scotty has had time to put is ideology and methedology into the team,

cant believe the same people who wanted phil ousted now want scotty ousted before hes coached 1 single game for the 36ers

Reply #176746 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am surprised he got 3 years even though he has not proven himself as a head coach in NBL. Whatever happened to the probationary period for new employees?

Reply #176753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could we now get the song, or at least the chant, of "SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW" going at games?

Reply #176972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754