vagina monologue
Years ago

Women's ABA Season predictions

Women's ABA Breakdown
I believe this season will be the closest in recent memory but the league will still be in cut into 3 groups the top 2 will dominate, the bottom 2 will struggle and the middle 6 will fight for every ladder position. Time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sturt Sabres: Will the Bowleys play??? The question of the year. Monique is past her prime and not a huge force inside anymore, Bridgette will be in and out of the line-up and not a factor in the season and Hannah is a consistent scorer but plays without the passion that she showed in years gone by. However Camino will bolster the Sabres to a strong season, what is not to like about this player, a big guard that is too quick for most bigs and too big for most guards.
Probable Starters:
Camino
HBowley
Nixon
McPhail
MBowley

Prediction 1st
14W-4L

North Adelaide Rockets: The periennial powerhouse in women's Basketball in SA will not disappoint. The loss of Erin Lorenzini will hit the Rockets but Mansfield should be up to that starting role. When Jo Hill arrives mid season the Rockets will be full guns blazing. The trapping style hard defense will have the Rockets' opponents on the back foot
Probable Starters:
Mansfield
Hill
Ollino
Perris
Pawanski

Prediction 2nd
13W-5L

West Adelaide Bearcats: Loss of big name players (King, Smith, Mahoney, Sourlatsis) have forced the hand of rookie coach Sam Woosnam to play the second half of the season (if not more). A potentially good season for the Bearcats. With Coleman at the point Martin and Hurley on the wings the guards are solid and Jenner in the paint provides a good target but maybe without enough punch every week.
Probable Starters
Coleman
Hurley
Woosnam
Martin
Jenner

Prediction: 3rd
12W-6L

Eastern Mavericks: Cayla Francis makes this team a big mover from last seasons 8th place finish and may jump to a top 3 finish if the question marks over this team get clarified. Williams when will she play? Seward does she have the knees to last a season? With Francis will Bayly and Symonds get the minutes to keep them happy?
Probable Starters
Williams
Seward
Lister
Symonds
Francis

Prediction 4th
11W-7L

South Adelaide Panthers: Losses of Vikki Kelson, and Jenine Browne will be too much for the Panthers to overcome however the Panthers have veteran bench players that may step up on any given night. Peddle, Evans and Robertson can score but wether or not the Panthers can play defense will be a test. Expect a good season from Karen Truslove as she will be the focal point for the Panthers.
Probable Starters:
Robertson
Evans
Peddle
Truslove
???

Prediction 5th
11W-7L

Southern Tigers: Tam Walker taking the season off is the biggest loss for the Tigers (big call I know with Cooper & Redden gone) but Walker's ability to hit the big shots at the big moments will be sorely missed at Tigerland. The tigers are young and with a rookie coach will be relying on Tracey Beatty and whoever she brings with her from Canberra. I think that Tigers winning the Summer season the team may have expectations that may not match their possible output.
Probable Starters
Hendrie
Cannon
Hilton
Markham
Beatty

Prediction: 6th
10W-8L

Forestville Eagles: Losses of Duke, Malpass, Pawlowski and Martin will outweigh the gain of Mahoney and Newley. a season that had promise has gone sour on Sharon Symonds. The Eagles will be competitive but not a contender
Probable Starters:
Mahoney
Ranford
Fergus
Robinson
Newley

Prediction 7th
9W-9L

Norwood Flames: Without Foley the Flames are a different team, now with the loss of Fryters the Flames don't look good. (if the rumours about Gahan are true that would make a big difference but I doubt it is true). Romeo is a gun but doesn't have the shoulders to shoot the team into the finals.
Probable Starters
Romeo
Scalia
Ackroyd
O'Malley
???

Prediction 8th
7W-11L

Woodville Warriors: Will be their best season in a few years (mainly because Centrals is back in the competition) Lynn Holland has the young players playing well and have a good scoring punch, their defense is a bit suspect, but if a team has a bad shooting night the Warriors may surprise some. Jodie Barratt is the leagues most underrated player and will put up usual consistent numbers but the inexperience may consume the Warriors.
Probable Starters
Gathercole
Wells
Hardy
???
Baratt

Prediction: 9th
3W-15L

Central Districts Lions: A new coach and a new focus, the addition of Erin Phillips hasn't bolstered the roster like the club would have hoped and with Phillips only being available for minimal games you have to think that the Lions are in for a long hard season. They have some young talent with Taylor and Oermann but I think that it is same old same old for the Lions.
Probable Starters
Phillips
Roberts
Taylor
Schultz
Stace

Prediction: 10th
0W-18L

Topic #14964 | Report this topic

Sabre  
Years ago

McPhail is over playing DI NCAA and won't be playing.

Pg Marino
Sg Camino
Sf E Langford
Pf M Bowley
C H Bowley

+ Nixon for whoever isn't available that week due to other commitments.

Reply #176681 | Report this post

low blow  
Years ago

(Mod: Blocked for being an idiot.)

Reply #176687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isnt the following players playing this year does anyone know - Fryters, Ezza (Forestville) and Redden? Haven't heard those rumours

Reply #176700 | Report this post

Joe Blow  
Years ago

So Mod, if people dont agree with you they are just eliminated?

No other opinions count?

Just your way or the High Way?.....

Nice. :)

Reply #176703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, people get blocked for posting "Who cares?" despite clear rules and a clearly labelled topic. Usually it just gets deleted, today it got a block. If the poster wants to get back in, they're welcome to acknowledge the mistake and rejoin the community.

Reply #176706 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

think you will find woodville will run richards and christie in abl + other young players.

believe gathercole as left

wells?

Reply #176729 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

i thought lorenzini was still coming ?

Reply #176730 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

gathercole fit and well at warrior land sidebottom left got the wrong brooke

Reply #176739 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

my bad - yes you are right

Reply #176745 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

few good comments - few askew.

camino may be away at some pre olympic opals camps / tours - til she misses last cut and all the big guns are in. Sturt top 4 - but not 1st

marino will play for NZ in olympics and will be away.

you have underated forestville.

yes mavs will be going well with francis.

where is fryters going? foley may be back if she doesnt make connecticut or opals touring / practice teams

west around the mark again IMO

Reply #176747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which martin at west?????

Reply #176757 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

Lister's not playing ABL.

My mail says that Markham STILL not playing for Southern this year.

Reply #176762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: I care.)

Reply #176765 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

VM

Good write up. Where did you get all that info from?

Reply #176768 | Report this post

vagina monologues  
Years ago

I have heard a few things over the last few weeks.

Fryters (Norwood) has gone to Tasmania
Lorenzini (North) will stay in Sydney
Cooper (Southern) has moved to Canberra
Redden (Southern) has moved home to the country
Pawlowski (Forestville) has given basketball away

new rumour is Duke is 50/50 with the eagles so that would indeed boost the squad at forestville

Reply #176782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who c a r e s is still an opinion

Reply #176789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, "I don't care" is an opinion. "Who cares" is just being an unhelpful wanker. The rule is there so that something like women's basketball can run a discussion that interests them without idiots trying to disrupt it. I would've thought it was pretty easy to abide by.

Reply #176805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So good to see a constructive view of things - all too often it just turns into a load of bollocks. Nice work vagina monologue.

Personally, I can see this season being one of the most even in the recent history for the women's comp. There will be plenty of upsets, plenty of surprises and plenty of opportunities to see what some of the up and comers can do.

Reply #176862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VM I think you have underestimated Southern.

Besides Beatty to come back in they have 2 other good bigs to come in to the side that won Summer.

Expect them to have a very good year.

Reply #176878 | Report this post

smithers  
Years ago

Winning summer season doesn't mean a thing...

Tracey hasn't played a full season in how many years? She is a great player and I am sure that Travis hopes she brings a great player but there is nothing after Cannon at the guard spot. Hilton can play but is streaky at best. The rest are players that would struggle to start anywhere else. Hendrie, Kinross, Mousely and Burkevicks just not there yet.

Reply #176894 | Report this post

go man  
Years ago

l think smithers that you around the mark with southern but l think some of younger player will help the tiger with a bit more pace which they were lacking in other years. regards of markham when she played against my team she had more turn overs then points.

Reply #176924 | Report this post

dog  
Years ago

l thinks it good to see the girls from the AIS back for the comp the ABA can only get better.

Reply #176926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont care mr english

Reply #176982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac w a n k er is an offensive word are u going to lock your own post

Reply #176984 | Report this post

Fox 35  
Years ago

Yes. He's going to edit his own post, and block himself from contributing any more, idiot.

Reply #176988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

touchy fox

Reply #176997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ezza Pawlowski is playing for West in the 2009 season.

Reply #228619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754