Isaac
Years ago

Funny Ballinger signs for three years

Early word out of the press conference is that Scott Ninnis has just announced that 2007/08 Club MVP Adam Ballinger has signed with the Adelaide 36ers for three years.

Adelaide36ers.com: Ballinger signs for three years

Brett Maher will be back for 2008/09 too with Brad Davidson and David Cooper.

Julius Hodge is the team's next priority re-signing.

Topic #14977 | Report this topic

brock  
Years ago

Fantastic news

Reply #176787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

awsum news!!

Reply #176790 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Love it! EVERYONE get on board for next year! I can feel the passion returning :)

Reply #176792 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Great, great news about Ballinger. I guess they'll also make Brett Captain, but as Brett himself has indicated he won't be playing for many more seasons, it would be good if someone else got the chance under his tutelage.

But so far so good...

Any news about Julius?

Reply #176795 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Like I always said - Ballinger won't play for anyone but Phil. :)

Reply #176797 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Maher is Captain. Ballinger one year.
Posted by Camel 31 today "

"He mentioned that he would like to ' take things one year at a time ' in regards to living here, family and playing etc. Looks like life in Adelaide is pretty good, as is playing for sixers.
Posted by Camel 31 a few minutes ago"

Well, that's just embarassing.

Reply #176798 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I just cheered so loud my whole office thought I had hurt myself!

Reply #176799 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Does this give Balls time to work on ex team mate DT to come here to play. I could not imagine DT would be happy that the Tigers are talking to Hodge.

Reply #176800 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Who said the Tigers are talking to Hodge?

Reply #176801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who said they were replacing DT? I reckon they want to get rid of Lampley.

Seamus was talking up re-signing him a while back, but I saw suggestions that the players don't like him much.

Reply #176802 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Casey and i think Boti have mentioned it a few times during the playoffs.

You could be right re Lampley but i thought he was being seen as the MAN in Tiger town as he was who they wanted origianlly and DT and Hodge are similar types of players.

Reply #176803 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mackinnon can't wait to face him next year I read, Lampley has really ruffled some feathers in his short stay here....Good player though, would you like hime here??

Reply #176804 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Lampley here = NO WAY!

Reply #176806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great news on ballingers, 3 years would have been great but a rolling 1 is fine with me as long as we improve and give him a reason to stay. Go hard for hodge. Great positive times ahead.

Reply #176807 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Offered three, wanted one . Ageed on three. All is good.

Reply #176809 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Was there any mention of citizenship happening anytime this year?

Reply #176811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel 31, you are so wrong! Don't be upset that what you said was incorrect.

Reply #176812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, now that I think about it, there was a piece suggesting that DT could move back to the States? Here it is, in the Herald Sun:

After five seasons with the Melbourne Tigers, there is a real chance the NBL grand final series could be the last time Dave Thomas wears the famous red uniform.

Coming out of contract, Thomas is facing the scenario that family must come first.

So he probably needs to relocate to Australia with his wife for the rest of his NBL career or return to the US, ending his time with the Tigers.

Back on topic, the Ballinger signing is probably the best thing the 36ers could've done - top-tier import, nearing naturalisation, great to watch play, etc. Brilliant signing by the club.

Reply #176815 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yes, very happy with this news...

Not a bad week for the Sixers.

Reply #176817 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Good start to the off-season for the 6ers. Let's hope it continues going uphill from here.

Reply #176819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for the story that he wasnt going to sign if Volde wasnt coaching.

gee I wonder who was putting that one out there...

Reply #176830 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Just like the Hodge story.......

Reply #176834 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Rapt.

Also i would imagine that Westover would see Julius as an able replacement/upgrade for DMac on the chemistry side of things, a super competitive creative showman.

Reply #176835 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

NVS, the bad thing about the Hodge story is that it came from his own mouth on a TV interview.. it is not speculation.

I am hoping it was just a show of support at that moment in time and that he will still return under the right conditions without Volde

Reply #176839 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Hodge is a Pro!!...if the situation (read money/opportunity) is right, he will play anywhere, the idea that he would ONLY play for voldemort is absurd.

Just cross your fingers that he doesnt get any better offers from other clubs (that also wont be coached by volde.)

Reply #176841 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Ballinger signing is the best news for many years for club. We can build a great team around him as he is a scorer inside and out and works hard on D Maybe he didnt sign before he knew the other coach wasnt returning. Our chances of getting Hodges back were always low , due to chances NBA or higher paying leagues. Nothing to do with who coach would be. His comments were those of a pro. soft soaping the current coach at time.
Maybe even if wanted to return to nbl he will maybe too expensive as we sign the Holmes etc as long term plyrs. Now my cheques in the mail

Reply #176848 | Report this post

dont know  
Years ago

Sorry everyone but Julius wont be back here the deal is nearly complete with Tigers.Ballingers contract also has an out clause if not happy with the direction of the club so 3 years could quickly become 1 hope not.

Reply #176849 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Don't forget that what Hodge actually said was that while he'd definitely come back if 1) he didn't get an NBA gig & 2) PS was coaching here, he also said he would still like to return, but would have to see who is coachign before making that decision.

I still think there are some other facotrs involved (IE - $$) but I'd suggest we're still reasonably high on his priority list.

Having said that, I don't think we can wait all off-season for his word, either.

Reply #176850 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

i believe the blaze are intersted in hodge as well

Reply #176856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dont Know" that is a big statement, considering the Tigers are still in the midst of a Grand Final series! Would you care to back this up with a reliable source, or are you just pissing in the wind??

Reply #176861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fact is everyone is who financially able will want to try and grab hodge. Just hope his positive time here, being accepted by the fans etc will sway in our favour. that said cash talks.

Reply #176871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AWESOME news :D

Reply #176881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does Adam Ballenger naturalization come through?

Will we be eligible to have a new import before round 1 next season?

Reply #176900 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Sorry -

Does anyone know when Adam Ballenger naturalization come through?

Will we be eligible to have a new import before round 1 next season?

Reply #176901 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

With Dusty being a Free agent should we go for him also, and when he naturalises and or Ballinger Naturalises we could have those 2 plus Holmes, Maher, Davidson and Cooper and 2 imports!
That would be a great team!
I still hope we get to see Julius Hodge back also!

Reply #176903 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Hey has the drought broken or is there so much 'pissing in the wind'? ;)

Reply #176916 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I can't believe that this awesome news isn't on the NBL site..........they have all this crap about some grand final series thingy and boy gorg's gong and westovers fine!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #176923 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Superb news about Balls returning especially 3 years.

Hopefully Hodge comes back to us, but all your rumours is making me panic a little.

As for other imports. I like DT, but different post says he's considering retirement due to his knees. Homicide Williams is more than welcome and same with Cortez Groves. I'd love Kavossy Franklin also, but he's contracted to the Hawks and that rules him out.

I'm quite excited at the change so far in the 36ers and continue to wait with anticipation at the new playing roster.

Reply #176934 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

don't know, not only by name I'm sure, but how can the Hodge deal with the Tigers be nearly complete. Its not 2 weeks past the the grand final when other clubs are able to talk to players unless approval was given by the 36ers.

Reply #176992 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

cos people break the rules, i hope its not true but their seems to be so much talk it has to have some weight.

Reply #177032 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Joshua, I can't see the NBL approving the recruitment of Hodge by any other club if the 36ers objected due to a violation of the rules. Adelaide would have to sit back and accept it for that to happen, surely? Other clubs could deny talking to him earlier, so in that case why is there so much weight in this information being true?

Reply #177124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very naive if you don't think they could be talking and have a deal on the cards.

Reply #177143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754