Kent Brockman
Years ago

Ben Arkell to replace J Will?

Boti has come up with a name that none of us on the board have thought of as a free agent.

Basketball: Injury woes leave Sixers short
By BOTI NAGY
28dec04
ADELAIDE'S hope of regaining back-up point guard Jason Williams from injury crashed at practice yesterday, the veteran likely to miss at least the team's next four NBL games.

Williams, 29 and 196cm, was confident at the weekend he would return to the line-up for tomorrow night's Philips Championship season-series decider against the full-strength Wildcats in Perth.

The 163-game playmaker has been missing from the line-up since Adelaide's 104-93 win over Hunter on December 12 after aggravating a foot injury during a Metro League match with Sturt two days later.

Williams had off-season foot surgery which required insertion of a screw into his foot but made it onto Adelaide's roster as an under-rated but invaluable back-up in the guard rotation.

With captain Brett Maher battling to overcome back, thumb and calf injuries over the past month, Williams' additional absence has been pronounced.

Adelaide's guard options are Maher and Willie Farley as arguably the NBL's top 1-2 backcourt punch, with bench support from Darren Ng, Williams and Mark Nash.

But Nash has been out all season with a back injury that not only has ruled him out for the year but thrown a question-mark over his playing future.

Williams' injury could not have come at a less convenient time.

"Jason won't go to Perth and he'll miss on Friday against Sydney," 36ers coach Phil Smyth said. "In all likelihood he won't make it back for the next four games."

After tomorrow night's match in Perth, the 36ers are at home to reigning champion and league-leader Sydney on Friday, away to Brisbane on Wednesday week and Hunter on Saturday week.

Williams had been making a steady recovery and was confident he would be back in uniform this week.

"It looked good but at training today, he was struggling," Smyth said last night. "He finished up dropping out halfway through and in some pain."

Smyth said the club's financial difficulties made it unlikely Adelaide could snap up a free agent such as a Ben Arkell to fill the breach.

"We're going to be doing it with smoke and mirrors," he said. "The good news is Mahersy is healthy and everyone else is good."

No-one can ask for much more

Topic #1502 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no money to even get a no name player for less than half a season?!??

Reply #17123 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

"on the board?"

Reply #17131 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

oh, wait, I geddit.

Reply #17132 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I have no idea what the 36ers admin are doing.

I don't understand how they can not have enough money to sign someone like Ben Arkell for half a season. How much would Arkell cost for half a season?

Does this mean that another admin bungle that Nagy alluded to earlier this season with respect to Nash not being insured is correct?

If Nash is insured and was on quite a decent salary then what is the problem.

The thing that confuses me is that if they sign Arkell or someone else like Lowery and they happen to win only 1 or 2 more games as a result (see Townsville game where we would have won if we had any other guard) resulting in a difference between getting an extra home final then that investment will pay itself off with a huge amount of interest.

This is precisely why we missed out on Newley. We are too damn cheap!

It is unfair that the fans and the playing roster are the two hardest hit by decisions to increase ticket prices and change marketing groups that have resulted in increased financial losses.

If you thought last year's roster was a cut back on previous years then this year is far worse in my opinion.

Taking Nash's injury into consideration our off season can be summarised as follows:

Farley for Thomas
Cooper for Cattalini
Rees for Nash

While I believe this year's team is far superior to last season's because of the brilliance of Maher and Farley and the continued impovement of the younger players, the truth is that I do not believe that the pay rise that Holmes and Rychart would have got would have overriden the savings from the above.

Are the prices that we are paying for tickets not enough to demand that we at least spend to the cap limit. Especially in times where the Tigers picked up Rashad Tucker for their ninth man!

This is just another example of the cheap 'cut back in all areas' management that is bringing the downfall of the 36ers.

I'm not asking for management to bring Jordan out of retirement and bankrupt the whole of BASA as a result. I think asking BASA to spend the $20k or so necessary to sign Arkell is fair enough given that his for half a season would be far less than Nash's in any event.

Reply #17134 | Report this post

Yogee  
Years ago

Yes, I find it hard to beleive that there is no money in the kitty to sign a replacement player.

Makes you shake your head at what must be happening in that ivory tower called BASA admin.

Am I the only one who it is becoming glaringly evident that the 36ers and BASA management URGENTLY need to be separated???

Reply #17135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not that i don't believe theres no money (i don't really know), i just wonder where its all gone! we don't really have an expensive team and theres no advertising or entertainment taking up money. wheres it all going??

Reply #17142 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

Is BASA using any of this to pay back that $20 M loan from the South Australian government they have for the Powerhouse/ DHD?

The sooner the 36ers and BASA disengage the board that runs the basketball club will ultimately be for the betterment of basketball in South Australia.

Reply #17153 | Report this post

croc hunter  
Years ago

why did williams even play in state league game
he was not going to be able to play in final as sixer game clashed

Reply #17170 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

How the hell can Sydney and Melbourne afford 8 man deep rosters and we can't even afford Ben Arkell for half the year?

Reply #17176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754