KingJames
Years ago

Rule Clarification Help?

Just out of interest I have two situations which im not sure what the correct ruling is.

If your team is in offense and there is a bad pass and the ball goes into the backcourt and is just sitting there, can an offensive player still standing on the offensive half pick the ball up or will that be considered a half court violation?

Also is two technical fouls (regardless of it being at different times) considered an automatic ejection?

Cheers!

Topic #15045 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

My understanding is:
1) Yes - it's a half court violation
2) Yes - 2 tech fouls on the same player (or coach) in the same game is auto reject.

Reply #177561 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I believe it is two Tech Fouls for the same violation is an automatic ejection.

Reply #177586 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

No - any two techs will get you an ejection.
Trust me on this.

Reply #177609 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

As per FIBA rules: a player can have 5 technical fouls in a game.

I am not sure if BSA has a by-law which automatically ejects you though which negates the FIBA rules.

You would be hard pressed to find a referee who would be willing to accept 5 seperate technical foul incidents without upgrading to a DF. However I guess with Hanging on for a dunk, bashing the ball away after a shot, hand over the line on a throw in, a little abuse here and there , it is remotely possible.

Reply #177631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand how the hanging on after a dunk violation works. Player always swing on the ring after they've dunked it to make it more energetic and spectacular ("see how high I can get my ass in the air" jam). Can someone please explain this rule?

Reply #177660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not just hanging onto the ring after a dunk - its hanging on for excessive amount of time. Sometimes players hang on having to wait until a player beneath the ring moves cause it would be unsafe to jump down as it could cause injury to either player.

Regarding tech fouls - I know that the rule the SEABL was using last yr which would probably be the same rule as Australia wide was that a player who got 2 tech fouls had an enforced 5 minute break, it was no longer automatic ejection. This happened in the national semis where a player got 2 techs, but it was either their 6th foul or less then 5 mins of the game to go so they didn't return either way.

So technically, a player could get 6 tech fouls with an enforced 10mins out of the game before they can no longer play.

Reply #177666 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Techs: infractions that are not directly covered by other rules: Examples-

Excessive swinging on the ring - equipment abuse.

Bats ball away after successful team score - time delay.

Flops - over acting

Places hand on the ball when it is in the hand of the opposition who are attempting but have not yet inbounded the ball- Foul in period when there is no play.

Deliberately scores in an oppposition basket- deliberate acting against the rules of the game.

Player coach while on the bench when another substitute causes a bench tech.

Scoresheet infractions - technical errors

The usual language / signals/ petulence etc

I think you'll find that repeated trangresssion will likely end in disqualification but to say 2 techs = disqualification is well technically incorrect.

Reply #177778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754