T.T
Years ago

36ers need to target this guy as their new import

let's face it... Hodge is too good for the NBL and is realistically an NBA player.

instead, go for this guy:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4165

Bobby Jones who had stints for the Nuggets, Grizzlies, and was recently cut from the Rocket this season.

Wait til the NBA season finishes and try to get his signature.

The guy plays EXCELLENT defense (would probably shut down any guards and forwards in the NBL), which is what has got him drafted and into the NBA.

Can defintely shoot, has a good midrange and 3 point game, but obviously not as good slasher as Hodge.

IMO this guy should be on an NBA team. I have no idea why he keeps getting cut.

In one game this season, where he started in place of Rudy Gay for the Grizz, this was his statline: 20 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists IN THE NBA.

people's thoughts??

Topic #15050 | Report this topic

Ebi Ere  
Years ago

HAHAHA!. I absoulutely hate threads like this which propose NBA players to come to the NBL. its just ridiculous! He could pursue a career in Europe and get $$$$ and play against the best teams in europe. If he comes here he will receive little $$ compared to Europe and the level of play will be much lower.

Can we please have realistic threads, and not threads like these with stuff that will not happen.
Thanks.

Reply #177635 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ebi the looming pay cut getting to you?

Discussion about potential players is always good IMO.

More known players than this guy have played in the NBL so it is not an impossibility.

Reply #177636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi,

There's a difference between an regular NBA player adn an fringe NBA player who gets a few stints here and there. Hodge played NBA and guess what, he came to Adelaide! Sure, he's leaving again but he still played in Australia. I think people underestimate the NBL. If you're playing in the NBL you are NOT off the NBA radar. Hodge played here and attracted shite loads of interested in the US. Dotaye Draper is trying to crack the NBA still, do you think he would have to Oz if it were to count him out of the NBA.

(by the way ebi, yo seem to say "ridiculous" more often than Charles Barkley says "crayze".

Reply #177642 | Report this post

Ebi Ere  
Years ago

HAHA you all rate the NBL so hard its not funny. The nbl is a joke-face it.
I am still trying to figure out why players from the states would actually come here....

Reply #177645 | Report this post

Ebi Ere  
Years ago

You say Draper is trying to crack the NBA still. Sure. But i think Draper going to the NBA is a long way off. I know he played summer league NBA, but you think about how many guys played summer league and didnt get nba contracts. There is absoulutely heaps.
Draper is miles off. There are much better players in Europe. The way you guys are posting, you make it sound as if the NBL is better than the Euroleague!!

Reply #177646 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Oriene Greene was in the NBA only a month or so before joining the breakers wasnt he??
I think ideally we should be looking at someone who is putting up Hodge like numbers in the NBDL or guys who do just get cut or just miss out on NBA gigs, like Bobby Jones who was mentioned in this thread.
I think the NBDL may be a good place to look as we can offer them more $$$ than they get in that league and if they are dominating over there they should be quite decent over here.
Josh Pace would have to be considered again wouldnt he if Hodge does play NBA or elsewhere next season, but id still be tryin for Hodge, offer him all yoy can with NBA out clauses thats what id be doing if i was the 36ers and or any NBL club, which im sure they are as he is 1 hell of a player!

Reply #177649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ebi, the players going to Europe often have to contend with missing payments, language issues and so on. Here, they can get a well-above-average wage, a low cost of living, etc. As Jonno's said, you should be familiar with Orien Greene. The Hawks almost signed Jamario Moon who's currently starting for Toronto, too.

Yes, most of these threads and posts are pretty fanciful, but it's the off-season for 36er fans and the topics are pretty easy to avoid if you're not interested in them.

Reply #177650 | Report this post

T.T  
Years ago

talk about bobby jones damit

Reply #177658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

draper has a real good chance of gettin a gig at nba, one thing that helps him alot is bein close mates with carmelo. carmelo could drop his name a few times n he'll be snapped up

Reply #177686 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bobby_ray_jones/

Like the look of him TT, not if we get Holmes though.

Reply #177703 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Ebi, do you recall earlier this season when the Kings went to play in that 4 team tourney in China? Teams were CSKA Moscow, Team China (sans Yao), Kings and an Italian Euroleage team (I think).

Kings lost by single digits to CSKA (who are among the top couple of teams in the whole of Europe), drew with China (not sure why no OT was played, I think there was some sort of controversial finish?) and defeated the other Euroleage team. Now for a team to compete in the Euroleage they need to finish in the top couple of teams in their domestic comp in the previous season, the next tier down is the ULEB Cup (and most Euro sides don't qualify for either of these comps), so for the Kings to beat a team competing in Euroleague means they beat a top class European side. I don't think the gap between NBL and Europe is quite as big as you imagine.

Reply #177708 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Bobby Jones has just got a 10 day contract with the Miami Heat today, so this thread may no longer be relevant!

Reply #177721 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Don`t forget that getting paid is $AUD for these guys is a much more attractive propostion given that it has now appreciated (from around .75USD to .93USD - might even get to parity soon...) in the last 2 years or so...

I think that might be one reason we seem to have seen some more high profile guys coming down under in recent months...

Reply #177755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #177773 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

for what its worth...bobby jones was signed by miami...

Reply #177779 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

ebi the way you talk about the nbl makes it sound as though you're leaving or trying to get out.
i really hope that isn't the case!
everyone has made interesting points though, and i agree that the NBL has a long way to go to get as competitive as other leagues other than nba, but it's true that we've had some big name imports play here over the years just the same.

Reply #177784 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754