Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers Player Salary Issue

Why is it that the Sixers can never seem to compete with other teams when it comes to bidding for players services. Holmes, Oscar Forman, Rychart, remember them? (hopefully you do Isaac!) They all left because they were being offered much more interstate. They also offered Rob Beverage nowhere near enough. And now I'm hearing Scott Ninnis on the radio (Tuesday night on coast fm) saying that the Sixers can't offer Hodge as much as lots of other clubs can! Why not? I just don't get it. It's not like we've signed up heaps of player already. What's going on?

Topic #15053 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Maybe the Sixers are just being finacially sensible and not overspending to try and ensure the team is viable and around long term?

Reply #177662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't afford $200,000 for Hodge?

Or is it that other clubs are cheating the cap?

Reply #177665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times has this been said?? YES!!

Reply #177672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've signed Ballinger (big signing), Maher (big deal signed before last year), Davidson (quality Australian recruit) and Cooper. Then there's the rumour that they may lure Holmes back (Dragons' MVP). Assuming all that, they've signed a good number of reasonably expensive players already (plus Coops!), and still have to budget for two imports (one initially, and one to come when Ballinger naturalises) and 3-4 more players.

Holmes, Rychart and Forman all left under a different owner and different coach. Completely different issues and nothing to do with season 08/09.

With Beveridge, if they even made him an offer (I heard from someone in West Sydney that he was one of the top candidates, but no formal offer was made) I'd say that it was in-line with other salaries in the league (such as that of Westover). If Beveridge happened to be on more already, so be it.

As for Hodge, the chances of him not making the NBA are looking less likely with each D-League game. I'd almost rather they (as I'm sure they would be) worked hard on back-up plans rather than spend up to get Hodge only for him to take the NBA out clause and disrupt plans at the last second. What he'd be asking could pay for two quality imports even.

If Melbourne are after him and offering him more, they have a club supposedly making money and more room to move. I'd guess that the 36ers, were they also making money, might have trumpeted that, so let's assume they're working to a budget of some sort (just as Brisbane will probably have to in 08/09!). A bit of responsible spending now may mean stability that attracts players later?

I can't quite see the doom and gloom, to be honest. They got one of their top candidates as coach, immediately signed a star, top-tier import for three years, already have a great local in Davidson, what could be a top sixth man in Maher (who can start if required), Cooper (could start or come off the bench) and then there's the rumour of adding Holmes. Fill in the gaps (with the flexibility of an import and perhaps another to come) and that's a pretty decent position to be in.

Reply #177674 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

This maybe a little insight as to why the 6ers have never been in the financially shaky situation that seems to follow boy goorj... responsible spending is what the NBL needs at the moment. Havent heard Luke Schenscher mentioned as a possible signing...

Reply #177678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Kings aren't considered to be smashing the cap like a few other teams. Saville would probably be their only really expensive signing IMO.

The 36ers were in a financially shaky situation - they were put into the hands of a financial controller just two years ago after years of bleeding money before that from apparently overspending the cap.

Reply #177688 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I tend to think that 2008/2009 season will be a more even playing field. Many of the clubs who have been spending big in the past are looking at tightening the belt. If Hodge comes back to Australia and goes to the Tigers because they can offer him more, that does not guarantee them a championship as seen last year and possibly this year. You have to say after tonight's game that the Kings are looking prettier. If they want to spend the money and continue to fail in their quest for a championship, then they can do that. They can pay big money for star players but its not value for money if your can't convert it to a championship. I also tend to think that if the Tigers lose again this year, they will re think the amount of money they senselessly spend on their roster.

Reply #177690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, the team that you have mentioned is it really any better than the team we had this season? Not really or at all and we didnt even make the playoffs.

Reply #177696 | Report this post

dont know  
Years ago

No injury to Maher and last years team would of made the finals Same thing applies to this tears team.

Reply #177697 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hopefully one of the imports will be better than Chappell. That's where the difference will be. This last season was lost before Hodge arrived.

Reply #177699 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Are people forgetting how Jules played this year: 25ppg 9rbs 6ast. As long as he doesnt make the NBA (not sayin he wont), PAY THE DAMN MONEY!

Reply #177701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they finished with something like:

Davidson/Backup
Import/Maher
Holmes/Backup
Ballinger/Dodman
Schenscher/Cooper

That, IMO, beats:

Davidson/Backup
Maher/Ng
Chappell/Copeland
Ballinger/Dench
Mottram/Cooper

at SG and SF. And Dench vs Dodman is hardly a big issue. If the import is a SG/SF, he can back-up Holmes when Maher hits the court. Maher can double at PG meaning that you can gamble on a project backup PG. Go back to the days of an eight man rotation with development time for the rest when the opportunities arise.

Then, when Ballinger naturalises, you take out either of the SF back-up (picture Reardon) or Dodman and bring in a scoring import (someone like DeVries) - that could work. You could get very close to getting that under the cap if Maher stays at 5, the backups and Dodman are all 1s, and you get the final import as an 8. (Rashad Tucker is a 6 for the new season I think, but I wouldn't want him here.)

Reply #177704 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Isaac, are we in with a decent chance of getting Luke?

Reply #177710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't know.

Reply #177712 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

pay hodge the dam money. he raised attendance by a couple thousand a game last season, he pays for himself. we have havent had a player like hodge since we had rob rose, weve had other great players dont get me wrong, but im talking a single handed match winner. julius draws fans, keeps fans coming and definately puts any nbl team he is on a top 4 contender. as far as im concerned he is worth all the stuff around and every dollar. if we lose him to another nbl club because he was considered to expensive, ill never go to a sixers game again.

Reply #177719 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hodge is a good player, but he wants $400K

Reply #177729 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Isaac, Mottram not in the sixers plans? I thought he did a pretty good job last season.

Reply #177730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure, haven't heard anything. Have seen him on a few Tigers lists though, maybe as a replacement for Stiffy if he retires?

Reply #177734 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Hodge in the basketball market would be worth 400k i reckon,possibly more in Europe, if the 36ers can afford it without ruining there depth of there roster or sending themselves broke i say pay it. As mentioned before he made the team into an contender single handedly and probably drew a extra 2000 fans to the games at the end of the season.
But having said that id rather the 36ers put to gether a strong, deep roster which can be sustained in the longterm than pay one player more than they can afford and send themselves broke.
But do EVERYTHING you can do and afford to do to get Hodge back he is that damm good and is worth every cent.

Reply #177750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but don't think Hodge is worth $400K and the fact that he even asked for that amount (which he did - it's not an exaggeration) means he doesn't know much about the NBL.

No way should he be the highest paid in the NBL. And please don't go saying that Anstey and Mackinnon are on $400k+ because they're not.

I think the problem for a lot of the teams this year is going to come down to points issues rather than salary cap.

How are the 36ers going to have 10 points spare for a new import after Ballinger naturalises?

Reply #177787 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Would we be better off going for Dusty instead of Holmes? I doubt we could and even should go for both with ballinger already signed and I doubt we could squeeze them all in under the points cap.

Reply #177792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754