Who Me?
Years ago

Breaking news: ABL postponed

Just received a further update from Basketball SA -

"After continued careful consideration, Basketball SA has made the decision not to play any of the CABL games that have been scheduled for this weekend, including Starplex.

We apologise for any inconvenience or confusion caused by earlier releasing a notice advising the games would be played, however due to the continued heat wave and other external factors we now believe it is in everyone's best interest to postpone this weekend's games. The postponed games shall be rescheduled and information relating to this shall be forwarded to everyone at a later date."

Topic #15076 | Report this topic

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3656-0-0-0&sID=39560&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=5190265§ionID=39560

Reply #178018 | Report this post

smithers  
Years ago

"other external factors"
=
Our lightning players are away for the weekend and we dont want to play without them

Reply #178033 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spooked by the death of the netball player that's been in the news and have professional advice recommending that games be postponed.

Reply #178035 | Report this post

Mother Nature  
Years ago

I think everyone should just harden the F@*! up!
What elements are the players exposed to inside a stadium at 6.30pm...? Plus the game goes for 1 hour - We're talking about not only grown men and women here, but athletes - they can handle it.

Reply #178037 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

its pathetic, they send out an email at mid day saying we are playing and here are the changes we have made to make it safer.

4 hours later Oh sorry we changed our minds due to blah blah blah.

Hiding the reason makes them look even more second rate.

if you are right issac, then we can expect div 3 monday with all games at Hillcrest to be cancelled and for reserves on Tuesday with 2 games at Pasadena to be cancelled and any games forever with this weather to be moved from now on.

wow can of worms.

Reply #178042 | Report this post

transferred  
Years ago

Who here is willing to put their job and finances on the line for possible litigation "if" something happens. If so, run the games yourself and accept the risk.

Simple!

Reply #178044 | Report this post

Blaine  
Years ago

You're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots! This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!

Reply #178047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They put the player's welfare first and still get the bird- crazy world. Congrats on the balls to do the right thing.

Reply #178049 | Report this post

Hawkins  
Years ago

Billy. Billy! The other day, I was going down on my girlfriend, I said to her, "Jeez you got a big pussy. Jeez you got a big pussy." She said, "Why did you say that twice?" I said, "I didn't."

Reply #178050 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

if they where puting the players first what was the 12 oclock announcement all about,

we are playing we are not playing.

I must be the only one to see that something legal must have been threatened between 12 and 4 for them to change their minds and look like fools for a complete turn around.

Reply #178055 | Report this post

What about the players' input? I doubt there's one player who would want the games postponed. I mean we have been training in the heat

Reply #178057 | Report this post

ilovemylightning  
Years ago

"I doubt there's one player who would want the games postponed. I mean we have been training in the heat" ... I TOTALLY agree ELG

however, i think you'll find players and coaches that are in a team with a famous link lightning player(s) are definately all for the games being cancelled; werent they the ones who were pushing for the cancellation?

'oh the heat, oh the heat - i think it's in the best interest of the players if we cancel this weeks ABL games' - i BET those SAME teams (west, eastern, sturt) ALL trained at some point this week, DESPITE the 'heat wave'

Reply #178082 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I agree Mother Nature, these are semi professional atheletes and as Chopper says they need to HTFU.

Back in my day:
-We used to walk 4 miles to school in the snow in barefeet.
-We didn't have toys we used to play with bricks.
-We didn't have electricity for our guitars we used to stand out in the rai and wait to get struck by lightning.

Reply #178152 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

some more new ones I haven't heard......

In my day:
-we didn't have hair dryers. If you wanted to dry your hair you stood outside during a cyclone. Your hair was dry but you had a sharp piece of wood driven clear through your skull and that's the way it was and you liked it!
-In my day, we didn't have video-games! We just sat around and watched a potato bake!

Reply #178155 | Report this post

Murf  
Years ago

pathetic. Obviously the non basketballers who run basketball in this state never played at Forestville during 40 degree days. My old coach would be just shaking his head in disbelief!

Reply #178161 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

on the ball, not sure, that's just what I heard. Fair enough to cancel/postpone junior games (especially those played during the day), but perhaps they could've sought indemnity from players and gone ahead with ABL games.

Reply #178168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

embarrassing decision. Does it mean every day in summer where temperature is 38 or over, they will cancel games??? What a joke.
Cricket finals are happening all over the state this weekend, and they actually play when the sun is out, and play out doors.
This decision is a clear indication of getting caught up in all the media about breaking heat wave records...blah, blah, blah....they played reserves tuesday night, other divisions wednesday night.
An unbelievable decision.

Reply #178171 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

Please consider these points:

1 - All ppl who post on here generally like basketball? Yes/No

2 - As we sadly find out all too often, some ppl have undiagnosed heart issues, which can be made worse by the increased stress of competing in heat? True/False

3 - If ONE of these ppl with a heart issue plays on the weekend and dies, there is the possibility of litigation? Yes/No

4 - Because we like basketball, we dont want a huge lawsuit to wipe out our SA basketball competitions, do we? Yes/No

5 - Regarding ABL, would the games have crowds turn up anyway, due to the heat? Yes/No

Just IMHO.

Reply #178187 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

1. Most definitely, if not they are wasting their time.
2. True.
3. Litigation, why? The individuals that play sport are also responsible for their own well-being. If it is too hot for them and they don't want to play then they shouldn't. If they are forced to play then that is a different story.
Remember, all coaches and players have a duty of care to themselves and others. I remember instructing Coaches and players at a number of clubs on a few topics, one of which is Hydration.
If you know that it is going to be a very hot day you can prepare yourself properly. Remember the 7 P's...
Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
4. No.
5. Build it and they will come. Previous years, when the temperature rises to above 38 degrees, spectators still turn up. The numbers may be a bit smaller though.
This Climate may be justification to upgrade the old and grey Stadiums.

Reply #178189 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

if the facilities arent good enough to allow games to go ahead juniors ABAthen i think the wquestion has to be asked what arethey going to do about making the facilities suitable
bring games to the dome double double headers saturday / sunday whatever

Reply #178224 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

Litigation, why? Because ABA Players are on contracts and is BSA says there is a game, you need to play it...?

Reply #178247 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I went to a Fringe Festival show last night and another one tonight, both in venues without air conditioning. It was so stinking hot that the perspiration was just rolling down every part of your body. And that was only sitting there and watching. I wouldn't be doing anything as physically active as playing basketball in this heat.

Reply #178253 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Whether the games are being played or not there was always going to be someone who would need a (w)ambulance

Reply #178314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754