Isaac
Years ago

Norwood vs Sturt

Last night at MARS, Sturt ended the giant-killing run of the Flames, beating Norwood by a solitary point in a superb win in front of a decent crowd.

After jumping to an early lead, Sturt looked like they had the collective skill to knock off Norwood comfortably, but wayward first half shooting from Oscar Forman (3/11 in the half, missing anything that wasn't inside) cost the Sabres a chance to extend the opportunity.

Excellent shooting from Arnold and Bell reversed the fortunes and the Flames held a single digit lead for much of the game. A buzzer-beater from almost out-of-court for Bell helped Norwood going into the final quarter.

However, clutch defensive pressure and shooting from Sturt pulled things back. Forman, Gower, Shepherd, Bauer and Benson combined to regain the lead.

With 9 seconds in the fourth quarter, Sturt leading by a solitary point, and Gower with the inbounds pass, a not-particularly-safe pass to Benson at the half-court line went high and long, giving the Flames possession. The shot in the dying moment went to Foster who was fouled and sent to the line.

With 2.1 seconds remaining, Foster missed both free throws and a put-back attempt by Arnold also missed. The Sabres had come from 9 points down to snatch a win.

The Bauer of 2002 returned in the final quarter with two huge outside shots under solid defense and finished with 15 points. Gower again picked up steals when they mattered to end with 11 points and 9 rebounds. Coming off the bench, Benson performed offensively with a 10 point haul, and Shepherd was consistent yet again (something of a tautology in there). Recovering from poor early shooting, Forman ended with 18 points, 20 rebounds and 5 assists (6/18 FG, 5/7 FT).

For Norwood, Arnold was persistent with around 20 points. Bell was faultless, and Krause put in a good game (11 points, 14 rebounds I think, and solid shooting). I don't know Webber's stat-line, but he's been well-discussed on this forum and I didn't see much from him (Shepherd played on Webber for much of the game).

Overall, a fantastic game.

Hot: Basketball (the finals are looking good!), the kid banging the benches to make some noise in front of me (Benson's little brother? Great job!), players from other teams coming along to watch, no fights at the game (somehow!), clutch performers from both teams, Carlos Boozer, Boomers killing NZ.

Not: Floorwiping kids: universally inattentive; my roof leaking.

At the game: Pero, Dix, a good number of Sturt fans, EC & K (both from this forum) and others. Oh, and of course Pantano.

Topic #151 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Brogan was at the game

Reply #1149 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Isaac,

I haven't seen Sturt play in a while, but has Shep gotten quicker? He was blowing by Webber everytime and made some tough baskets down the stretch.

A couple of comments about the game...

Great decision to go to the zone in the last quarter. Total bemused the Flames. They slowed down and weren't aggressive against it. I counted 5 straight outside shots as soon as Sturt went to the zone.

Good crowd out at Mars. I think the Friday night games should continue next season.

I thought Ninnis out coached Dodson. He made better changes down the stretch.

Watch out finals teams for Bauer. Isaac is right, that was the Bauer of old, he made some huge plays in the last quarter when it counted.

Why was Gower throwing the ball in at that critical time in the last quarter. The pass was 3 feet over Bensons head!!!

Overall I thought it was a great game, Norwood would have won easily if they made their free throws. If they had a better start and middle they would have had a say in the finals.

Reply #1162 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Norwoods 1/8 2nd half FTs to Sturts 11/12 really cost them the game!!

Reply #1164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shepherd is at his best. Suggested by a friend (and I agree) that he seems to have no illusion of being NBL material and doesn't let that affect his game -- he just gets out there, does what needs to be done, and then heads home in his ugg boots (tm). Whereas other players of his age could have that sort of thing on their minds. He has a good percentage jump shot with height that gives him opportunities that someone playing against taller opponents might not have. He's really kept Sturt in games since Jason's been out.

The zone did seem to work and there were some huge team steals in that last quarter within Norwood's key -- Gower has a knack for getting steals. There was also one amazing rebound where one second it was a metre away about to land in someone's hands (Krause?) and next second Gower was holding it. My team of researchers thinks it's something to do with the bed-head.

Re Friday games -- could be rough for the women coming from work at 5:30 only to be on court at 6:30? But it did free up my Saturday night a bit.

Gower's pass was a poor choice, but it's easy to say that afterwards. I wasn't watching where everyone else was, but Oscar was right in front of him and had hit his last 4 free throws.

Those last few free throws from Norwood hardly did the team justice because for all of Bauer's long bombs, the Flames were matching it with big shots down the other end.

I do think that what got Sturt into that early deficit was Oscar's shooting. He takes a reasonable number of Sturt's shots and rarely misses 6-8 mostly-uncontested shots in a row. Hard to do that while Norwood are making their shots.

But still, a huge game -- goes straight into my top 3 for the year. The finals will be great, but I would like to see Norwood in there causing some trouble.

Reply #1165 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754